Vendee Globe 2020

33 boats on the start line for this foiling monohull non stop single handed around the world race.

You can watch the start tonight 7:55pm on Sky Sport 3. They will be showing 3.5 hours coverage.

10 hours ago, B00B00 said:

Looks like the Hugo boss could be a bit sticky in the light. He's really dropped off the pace. 

Hugo Boss is doing 15 kn at the moment in 15kn wind while the leaders are in 14kn of wind doing 11 kn, Here is how it looks (see pic) <the dotted red lines are the Rhumb line course; Hugo Boss is the larger black/pink boat icon in the western group>

Vendee 9-11 5h53m.png

He said that he got a fishing line caught on the keel and rudder and then had a sheet come off one of the sails and lost 5 or 6 nm. That would explain the loss I saw.

Hes back on the pace now.

Looks like they are all in for a beating over the next 48hrs. Could be some broken boats when the wind shifts on the other side of the front and they are broad reaching in decent breeze straight into a nasty seaway. Will be a good test of the foils. Wonder if Alex will button off to get through this without breaking, its certainly not his mentality but I would think a failure this early on would be highly embrassing.

3 hours ago, chariot said:

Hugo Boss seemed to be a bit bow down in the light and pushing a lot of water.

If you mean in the start footage, may have also been his different sail choice. Several of the others had gone with an MH0 type thing where HB seemed to have a genoa on. Possibly also a sign of his willingness this time to be a bit conservative at times?

I do love the Vendee challenge, the best of yacht racing since the demise of the AC to flying machines.

will be interesting to see if the foils are going to go the distance, would seem they are a mean ace in a rough seaway, wouldn’t the foil be an irregular drag ?

Did wonder why they went so far NW when there was such a good breeze almost abeam for the southerly heading, maybe just making as much of the Westering that needs to be done.

I like the icons for the new gen boats the winglets, makes them look like  ice sliding penguins, well after a few gins maybe :-)  Its going to be an epic race and its fascinating to see how sailing technology continues to evolve just when you think they might have run out of ideas.

14 hours ago, 180S said:

I do love the Vendee challenge, the best of yacht racing since the demise of the AC to flying machines.

will be interesting to see if the foils are going to go the distance, would seem they are a mean ace in a rough seaway, wouldn’t the foil be an irregular drag ?

Did wonder why they went so far NW when there was such a good breeze almost abeam for the southerly heading, maybe just making as much of the Westering that needs to be done.

Wouldn't  you classify the new gen IMOCA boats as flying machines ? there is not much of the hull in contact with the water when they are at pace :-)

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Frank said:

Wouldn't  you classify the new gen IMOCA boats as flying machines ? there is not much of the hull in contact with the water when they are at pace :-)

I may be wrong but I understand the foils on the IMOCA boats are Dali profile intended to provide lift and resist leeway, still depending on a canting keel for stability. The AC boats are interesting, and the AC35 was great to watch, but I don’t relate to the AC boats zooming past me in the Hauraki Gulf as anything related to what I’m doing save for the fact that they are using sails.

Anyways enough of the thread drift. I see the Vendee fleet all struggling to clear the NW tip of Africa, just as well they didn’t take me as a navigator  

50 minutes ago, 180S said:

I may be wrong but I understand the foils on the IMOCA boats are Dali profile intended to provide lift and resist leeway, still depending on a canting keel for stability. The AC boats are interesting, and the AC35 was great to watch, but I don’t relate to the AC boats zooming past me in the Hauraki Gulf as anything related to what I’m doing save for the fact that they are using sails.

A few of the new boats have different foils to the 'old' Dali foils this time, more of a C shape which is more forgiving.  They talk about it in one of the vids in this link.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/video/2020-vendee-globe-preview-pip-hare-paul-larsens-round-the-world-racing-fleet-128276

Interesting to see Sam Davies looks like she sailed right past Jeremie Boyou on Charal which was one of the pre race favs.

Does anyone know what that exclusion zone is out of the Galician coast?

1 hour ago, muzled said:

A few of the new boats have different foils to the 'old' Dali foils this time, more of a C shape which is more forgiving.  They talk about it in one of the vids in this link.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/video/2020-vendee-globe-preview-pip-hare-paul-larsens-round-the-world-racing-fleet-128276

Interesting to see Sam Davies looks like she sailed right past Jeremie Boyou on Charal which was one of the pre race favs.

shipping - traffic seperation scheme

• Like 1
1 hour ago, muzled said:

It is a shipping traffic separation zone, entry to which is prohibited for the VG competitors.

Edit - looks like you got two answers (the same) within a minute :-)

• Like 1