New Auckland Bylaws - have your say

I'm used to reading long, poorly written Govt/Public documents but the "Nav Safety Findings" document is a whole new level of poorly written. It’s like they forgot to hit the spelling/grammar check when they finally finished the document. It’s so confusingly written, I'm not sure what they are asking for. They have gone overboard on useless statistics too.

I can't see the reasoning for increasing the 12kt harbour limit to 18kts is safer - 8knots would be the safer speed for reducing the massive wakes coming from the Gin Palaces.

I will not feel safer with launches coming at me at 18 knots.  Even with the current 12 knot limit, there are quite a few that exceed it. 

It would be better to allow ferries to do 18 as their drivers are much more compentent, and keep the launches at 12 knots.

16 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

Even with the current 12 knot limit, there are quite a few that exceed it. 

Almost had a collision with a very new 50ft launch last Sunday who thought it was acceptable to pass us at 12kts when he was 20m away from us. I motioned 5 knots and he motioned back 12kts - completely clueless about the rules. Can't wait for him to pass us at 18kts next time!

• Like 1

12 knots is bloody stupid (wake wise) and ignored by so many cocks its worthless. If you arnt going to enforce (or even educate), why bother with the bylaw. Make it slower or faster, i dont care, just actually make it happen. 

On 24/11/2020 at 7:49 PM, Black Panther said:

I thought I would write something but they made it too difficult. 

Was that sarcasm?

I found it remarkably simple. You can write as much or as little as you like or just choose from the drop downs in the survey. 

Have your say people... 

It’s not in my backyard but for the greater good I did my bit and filled it in whilst sitting here in Starship. I did it online using my smartphone - was able to log in with my Gmail account credentials so minimal hurdles. Took about 10 mins end to end.

BP - did you click on the link that IT provided at the start of this thread?

As Fogg says, it's easy enough to do on the phone. They ask you to log in but thats easy - takes 30 seconds to set up a login and password...........

In case it helps, for the speed question where they ask you to give a reason for your response, this was my answer:

It’s a dangerously congested zone with many (unreported) near misses happening every week mainly between fast launches and slower vessels. 12kts keeps this just about manageable. 18kts increase risk unrealistically. It is the same as asking residents if a 50 km/h urban street if they support an increase to 80 km/h and asking them “why not?”. Just think about it!

Note that consultation is open until 14 February 2021.

There is a LOT of information provided in the review report.  There is also a lot missing and key from this discussion is detail on which vessels and how many of them produce a more disruptive wake at 12 knots than at 18 knots.  There is also no clear comparative risk analysis ie is the risk of the increase in speed limit overall higher or lower than status quo.

I suggest that, if you are going to make a submission, you read the report and reference it in your response.  Govt wonks love that sort of thing, but it also may prompt further thought for you.

Because enforcement approach can change in an hour. The bye-laws can’t.

And as we’ve already seen if you send the authorities video evidence of a flagrant breach they will take action.

If I was unfortunate enough to have to travel up & down the Laundromata on a regular basis I would set up a couple of dashcam cameras pointing fore & aft - and I’d have no hesitation dobbing in offenders.