Raglan to Whakatane

This would be no big deal for a lot of you guys but for me my biggest trip as skipper. 
quote from my facebook  page for non boaties so bare with me:

“Big thankyou and gratitude to my crew James and Shae, couldn’t have done it without them. For example ,the Raglan bar was no problem,not even breaking, then the wind got up higher than forecast and sea built up and I was seasick . Eventually Shae made a correct call too take down the genoa and put up a smaller jib. I was still capable of steering at that point so pointed into wind and waves while Shae and James went forward. I had rigged 2 jack lines from the cockpit forward around the mast to the anchor bollard to clip onto. So with short metre long tethers its “impossible” to go over the side. With the bow rising and falling at least 2 metres you cannot really stand up so have to kneel,sit or otherwise stay low. James told me later that at one point Shae was thrown on his back and didn’t bother getting up but clawed the sail down from there. Eventually the smaller sail was hoisted and the action of Mahoe was somewhat tamed. The same couldn’t be said for my stomach! I had been dry reaching for some time, was getting weak and couldn’t help at all. The crew decided after I had been sick for 24 hours I needed to be put ashore to recover, easier said than done. We were nearing Kaipara harbour entrance by now so Shae radioed coastguard and after some discussion back and forth they basically refused us entry. They suggested Hokianga harbour as a possibility. We pressed on , up to now even a sip of water would come straight out again. So was rather excited when water stayed down and I started eating. Nearing Hokianga entrance I was eating like a horse so Shae radioed coastguard to tell them we were all good and carrying on. So your work much appreciated Shae and James.As we neared Cape Reinga we were greeted with this so all was forgotten!”

B126993E-B82B-41D4-A29B-CCF9B4981BCC.jpeg

• Upvote 2

We motored from North Cape to Mangonui incalm seas so Shae could get a bus home for work. James and I carried on day sailing. Stops at Cavalli Is. Bland bay, Tutukaka, Omaha, Tryphena, Whitianga, Waihi Beach, and then this”

After Mahoe did a sterling job in allconditions and a last day from Waihi beach to Whakatane , within 10 miles of home there was a clunk from the driveline and viabration. Towed in by the Coastguard  at 2 am. On temporary swing mooring in Whakatane river.

Did the Kaipara coast guard give a reason for refusing you entry? Was it for just the southern channel or the Northern one as well?

Great effort, a feather in yours and your crews caps. It is an interesting piece of the west coast, Besides the Hokianga, Whangape harbour is also accessable, given a rising tide and -1m swell. "Sealegs" work for me until I do get my sea legs, no noticeable side affects.

The coast guard have no Legal Status. They can only advise. A harbourmaster can close a port. However, if you go against the advice of either, then have an issue, its unlikely to go well for you in the courts!

Well done, the NZ coast, esp the W coast or south of Napier/New Plymouth, is not to be taken lightly. Drugs for the first few days to combat seasickness is pretty common - BEFORE you leave, so they have time to work and are not vomited out immediately! Sealegs can make some sleepy, there are lot's of options.

10 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Did you call the number?

Yes called the number. A temperature sensor, evidently monitoring a marine heatwave thats coming. Double boeys so maybe not destroyed. Was surprised at the sheer number of boeys around the coast. Can understand fishing nets cray pots etc. But all the others. There was just a mass of them in the marine reserve at Leigh. I probably could have been further off shore , was at about the 20 metre depth line at the time. 

9 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

Did the Kaipara coast guard give a reason for refusing you entry? Was it for just the southern channel or the Northern one as well?

Great effort, a feather in yours and your crews caps. It is an interesting piece of the west coast, Besides the Hokianga, Whangape harbour is also accessable, given a rising tide and -1m swell. "Sealegs" work for me until I do get my sea legs, no noticeable side affects.

I think the last straw for them was when they asked max speed under motor. 5 knots didnt cut it! Didnt get to discussing channels

9 hours ago, Island Time said:

The coast guard have no Legal Status. They can only advise. A harbourmaster can close a port. However, if you go against the advice of either, then have an issue, its unlikely to go well for you in the courts!

Well done, the NZ coast, esp the W coast or south of Napier/New Plymouth, is not to be taken lightly. Drugs for the first few days to combat seasickness is pretty common - BEFORE you leave, so they have time to work and are not vomited out immediately! Sealegs can make some sleepy, there are lot's of options.

They advised not to attempt it and if we did , we would do so at our own risk,  I thought that an odd comment as I consider all my boating totally at my own risk.

Then again I suppose if they are talking someone through a situation they are taking on some responsibility 

50 minutes ago, Sail Rock said:

Great story, thank you for sharing.

(I don’t think I would attempt any of the west coast harbour entrances without someone with excellent local knowledge on board!)

At least Raglan has leading lights. Years ago i went on a bar day wirh the Coastguard, well worth it, but was so calm I could have rowed the tender over it.

On 4/12/2020 at 3:11 PM, rossd said:

At least Raglan has leading lights. Years ago i went on a bar day wirh the Coastguard, well worth it, but was so calm I could have rowed the tender over it.

Thank you enjoyed the read. Have only crossed the Manukau Bar once in a fizz boat. On way out no issues, coming in.1/2 tide dropping sw 10knts.Hmm thought much rather enter Tutukaka in a 20knt easterly. No desire to venture across a bar again. Was in a 6m ali with 150hp and wave/swell still pushing us side ways.

Can see why C/G maybe concerned at 5knts.