Northland hull cleanning rules

Anyone know how strict they are in Northland on the hull cleaning rules?

Do we actually need paperwork for the last antifouling and professional hull clean or are they Ok as long as the hull is actually free of any fouling?

tried to book a haul out and clean this week or next at gulf harbour but they are chocka full until the new year. Normally I just clean it myself but not sure if that is enough to cover the regulations.

My experience last couple of years is that if you want to get into one of the marinas eg Tuts or Opua - you’ll need a clean hull certificate which is effectively an invoice showing lift & wash within last 3 months or a diver hull clean. If you don’t have this you can still sail up to Northland (won’t be able to access the marinas which may or may not bother you) but you you could be randomly checked at any time by the clean hull police - if you don’t have a clean hull cert they will dive on your boat - I had a friend checked a couple of years ago and they actually cleaned a bit of growth off for him at no cost. But I’ve got no idea if attitudes have now changed and if you could get charged or fined if they found nasty stuff.

Yup the marinas ask for it alongside cert of insurance and eWOF (if connecting to shore power).

If I was heading north this year I would want to have this sorted to be able to book a marina berth at short notice - my trusted weather prophet tells me we’re likely to get 5-7 cyclones over NI through the season. Combine that with the growing population of boats in NZ - including newbies to boating (as reported by brokers new buyers cashing in on low interest rates and buying boats from equity release due to no Covid holidays abroad) I reckon the BOI is going to be a v hectic place this year...

If your a member at Weiti, you can dry out on the poles and the amazing manager, Katie will write you an official letter saying you cleaned your bum.

If you are not a member, I 'think' you can pay a fee to use the poles. There is no shortage of requirements you have to meet when using the poles, but you can still clean and antifoul your boat, provided no marine organisms from you hull end up in the marine environment, and you don't spill any AF in the environment, and I'm sure one or two others.

That would depend on if you went and bought a "cruising boat" with a keel so deep you can't get on the poles, or some keel bulb that is unlikely to stay under the boat while on the poles.

If your interested, depths and height of tides for the poles on my tide programme

58 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

If you are anchoring it's enough to clean it yourself, if you want to use a marina you will have to talk to them. 

Thats pretty much what I figured when reading the rules. But as Fogg sugests, its pretty nice to be ready to go to a marina should something happen to the boat or weatherwise.

20 minutes ago, B00B00 said:

Thanks Fish, keen to see your tide program. Where do I find that?

My notes say we touch at 2.4 m height of tide, and we draw 1.8m, so the concrete pad for the grids is at 0.6m of tide.

I.e. if the low tide is less than 0.6 m, it will dry completely. If you draw 2.2m, you need a tide higher than 2.8 m to get on and off (2.2 + 0.6 = 2.8 m)

As far as I can tell, the level of the grids is the same for the sets of poles both upstream and downstream of the wharf. I've checked it with the water level at low tide. That's on the outside. We don't use the inside. Smaller boats and launches do.

You can also tie up to the wharf itself. The ground is sloping so you just go up as far as you need. You need to book that one, its popular.

The tide programme we use is WinTides. It is very old and only runs on 32 bit operations systems, so you need an old PC. Its not an app. I've no idea how to find it on the net, I think it pre-dates the internet. Any smart phone tide app that gives you height of tide at a particular time will give you the info you need. Either that or the rule of twelfths. But at the end of the day, the basic tide tables will tell you if you can get on and off. The advantage of the app is to save a bit of time either side, not waiting for dead high water. I find it easier to get onto the poles when there is a bit of current running (water moving over the rudder).

38 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Yup the marinas ask for it alongside cert of insurance and eWOF (if connecting to shore power).

If I was heading north this year I would want to have this sorted to be able to book a marina berth at short notice - my trusted weather prophet tells me we’re likely to get 5-7 cyclones over NI through the season. Combine that with the growing population of boats in NZ - including newbies to boating (as reported by brokers new buyers cashing in on low interest rates and buying boats from equity release due to no Covid holidays abroad) I reckon the BOI is going to be a v hectic place this year...

On that note, has anyone seen the Cyclone that's developing over vanuatu mid next week. Looks pretty nasty....

Thanks Fish. All good info. Cant say i have used a grid for a while and have no idea how the boat would sit given the bulb keel and deep rudder so im a bit hessitant to put the boat on there for now. Would hate to ruin the christmas cruise by damaging the rudder!

1 hour ago, B00B00 said:

On that note, has anyone seen the Cyclone that's developing over vanuatu mid next week. Looks pretty nasty....

The surfers are going on about it already (very excited), but I can't see any sign of it yet on PW or Metservice. I wouldn't expect Metservice to show it until the day after its gone over, anyway.

2 hours ago, B00B00 said:

I can see two potentials E of Vanuatu and Fiji...

Scary looking set of cyclones forming.

Back to the hull cleaning. What if you have your own haul out ability? ie, up North, given an adequate haulout cradle/ trailer, we could haul our pogo actually onto our place (neighbour's ramp) - mast up. How does one "prove" then that it's been hauled and cleaned?

Welding up a decent cradle with axles etc. could well be worth it...

2 hours ago, Island Time said:

Definitely worth it! Receipt for the antifouling and a pic with date on it of the process??

yeah that's possible. But if there's no antifoul? just a waterblast then back in?? A pic of the process and an entry in the log?

So you think all those big container ships anchored up off Auckland and Whangarei have got nice clean hulls? Nothing in their "niche" areas.

Sounds like they might be there for a while, plenty of time to spread what they got.

Pretty sure the regional councils are pretending its not a problem and assuring themselves that MPI have got it all under control for them while eagerly awaiting BOOBOO's visit to the Bay.

• Upvote 3