5 weeks at sea +14 days Auckland Quarantine

12 minutes ago, NorthlandYS said:

We have visas, we have the yacht exemption, we followed the rules. The rules were changed on us after arrival. You guys honestly don’t have any issue with that?  

Nope.

We want to keep our borders secure. The bureaucracy that administers that can be cumbersome. Sometimes you have to live with that. Rules are changing a lot around the world. Kiwi's are struggling to get home to visit dying relatives, and your bitching about not being able to go sailing? For a whole week? It was probably a whole lot clearer when there was a blanket ban on foreign yachts arriving. No one could complain about the rules being changed on them, then...

I'm really struggling to understand what your issue is with having to do your quarantine in a hotel? Is the bed too soft? The free food not to your tastes? The air con too warm? too cold?

The biggest problem the "bureacracy" has to deal with is figuring out who is telling the truth. Because they can't trust everyone they therefore must trust no one. Obviously some people are inconvenienced, but that's life. By getting on crew NYS has used up some of his boring time in MIQ, so that's a positive.

So your home base is St Augustine, Florida. You left Panama in July, at which time it was abundantly clear that there was a substantial global pandemic. It was also clear that your government's management of the pandemic was a complete clusterfuck.

Did you skip out of Florida to avoid the situation at home? and if it was clear there were going to be borders closed all over the place, why didn't you double back to the good old US of A (even west coast?)

In your opening post, you comment that Fiji and Australia's entry requirements are more strict than ours. I'm assuming you mean they don't allow sea time to count as part of quarantine? If thats the case, why do you now have a problem with having to quarantine?

Perhaps Customs slapped the 14 days on you, because you demonstrated to them you don't understand the rules. The law says you were 7 days, you think you were 5 weeks. Big difference. You are failing to grasp that.

How many times have the rules changed re covid in Florida since you left? You are complaining about a very minor rule change here, but you seem to miss the point you were granted entry at all. So how are you different from the Germans or any other arrogant cruiser?

PS, apparently there has been 20,000 covid deaths in Florida, and 1.13 mil cases.

NYS - my brother and sister are unable to get home to see our dying mother. The earliest they can get into MIQ is late February which is very likely to be too late. Your moaning about being able to sail down here whenever you wanted to arrive and get straight into a MIQ hotel is quite frankly pissing me off. There are literally thousands of New Zealanders who would like to be able to just arrive and do their two weeks. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, NorthlandYS said:

We have visas, we have the yacht exemption, we followed the rules. The rules were changed on us after arrival. You guys honestly don’t have any issue with that?  Our situation has nothing to too with “entitled yachties” or “those Germans"

The rule is that if you arrive on a recreational small craft, within 12 days of your last port of call, (which for you was Minerva Reef), then you're required to be transferred to a MIQ facility for the minimum period of 14 days.

These are the current rules for recreational vessels as I've understood them.  So I am not seeing any government overreach in what you've explained.

Don't be confused with the rules for commercial ships, which don't have a 12 day rule and must have an approved Covid management plan that includes a ships Doctor. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, KM... said:

Contrary to the twitterati, or so you'd think by their pile on, I do have a issue with Govts saying one thing and doing another.

Contrary to the fetid imaginations of the contrarians, nothing described so far by the OP signals anything other than complete compliance by the Govt with its published policy and practise.

It may be tough, it may not be justifiable and it may even be ludicrous theatre, but as anyone who has been through the laughable pantomime of airport security in the US, we don't have that on our own.

2 hours ago, KM... said:

Contrary to the twitterati, or so you'd think by their pile on, I do have a issue with Govts saying one thing and doing another.

Good post KM, thought provoking.

Only issue is that NYS is spinning you a line.

The COVID-19 Public Health Response (Maritime Border) Order (No 2) 2020 came into effect from 11.59pm on Sunday 6 September and replaced the previous Order, that governs persons who arrive in New Zealand by sea.

and

If you arrive prior to 12 days, everyone on board will be required to go into a managed isolation facility for the remainder of the isolation time. You will not be able to isolate on board. This is covered in more detail in the following section.

NYS didn't spend five weeks at sea. Their last stop was a sneaky into Tonga, 7 days out from NZ. So they were well inside the 12 day requirement, that was stated 2 months before they left Tahiti.

They also stopped at Pago Pago. Slightly different to his statement that they 'remained fully isolated', they weren't tied up to the quarantine bouy the whole time, but were actually tied up to the town quay.

So the fundamental problem here is that the Govt actually did what they said they were going to do, and they said that 2 months before NYS left Tahiti. So how is it that the Govt is saying one thing and doing another? Sounds more like NVS was hoping they'd do something else.

Underlying all of this, I don't see the hardship in having to quarantine. If they were denied entry mid voyage, I would be up in arms. If there was some fundamental injustice, I'd be backing them up. Doing MIQ is a slight inconvenience. The bit that is pissing me off is the entitled attitude of complaining about having to do MIQ after actually managing to obtain permission to enter NZ.

There would be a far greater pile on if we get put into lock down and couldn't go sailing over Christmas, cause Customs let a breach though the border, wouldn't there?

Based on the date of the maritime border notice #2, I could almost imagine an apology being in order from the original poster. It would appear the actual problem was his sneaky stop in Tonga. Not the govt changing its mind.

https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19/maritime-border/nz-maritime-border-controls/#:~:text=30 June 2020.-,The COVID-19 Public Health Response (Maritime Border) Order,with a range of exceptions.

https://www.customs.govt.nz/covid-19/maritime-border/private-yachts-and-small-craft/guidance-for-small-craft-and-yacht-arrivals-in-new-zealand/

• Upvote 2
37 minutes ago, chariot said:

I thought Sir Bob was spot on.

The Bob Jones thing, there is this latest fashion of needing 'Diversity of Thought'. Hence women on boards, LGBTIQ, diversity and inclusion drives, race based quotas everywhere, even if no-one will admit there are quotas. The only issue is when you get some diversity of thought from a source they don't like, everyone gets upset. Its still diversity of thought. 

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

WTF has Bob Jones to do with this? I'm getting lost.

Some were likening KM's post / writing style to Bob Jones, which I took as a vailed criticism of KM. My point is that diversity of thought is a good thing, even when you disagree with what is said.

In this context, I wouldn't want KM's writing style to get in the way of the key points. Firstly, I think KM is wrong (although well intentioned), and the main point, being the rules (Maritime Border Notice # 2) was in place even before NYS applied to enter NZ. So I can't see what rules were changed? 

21 hours ago, NorthlandYS said:

. Certainly does make me wish we were happy and free in Fiji and lending other cruisers a hand getting ready for this storm instead of dealing with this mindless bureaucracy!

Head out of the Harbour & turn left. Fair winds & all that stuff. Oh, there will be 2 weeks in quarantine when you arrive there, like everywhere else in the world at present, so maybe take a book?

22 hours ago, NorthlandYS said:

Certainly does make me wish we were happy and free in Fiji and lending other cruisers a hand getting ready for this storm instead of dealing with this mindless bureaucracy!

Cyclone Yasa: Powerful storm to make landfall, Fijians told to expect widespread destruction

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyclone-yasa-powerful-storm-to-make-landfall-fijians-told-to-expect-widespread-destruction/BVRUTYIZH25BVEWNUHXADROXVI/

1 hour ago, KM... said:

Good gawd. I used to think getting low 30% in SC English (a few years combined) was a bad thing but many here have proved that thinking is entirely wrong.

Thanks for that muppets ;)

c'mon KM, I know its tough to admit you are wrong, but how about admitting to just being slightly mistaken?

I'm dead keen to understand what rule was changed on NYS? - thats a legit question, I'm not trying to be ironic or anything.

I understand your point that you would be annoyed if the govt said one thing and then did something else. Which I think might be leading to your reference to poor reading comprehension. The bit I'm struggling with, is that it appears the govt did what they said they would do, as per the Maritime Border Notice #2.

That would mean the NYS is wrong, specifically on the only point he has to bitch about being let into the Country. He did a sneaky into Tonga, 7 days out from NZ. Apparently the Tongans don't appreciate that too much. Didn't they send their navy down there not long ago and started booting out some old grump?

Rules clearly said, even before NYS applied for permission to come to NZ, that you need to be 12 days at sea to not need 14 days MIQ. He was 7 days. Fairly simple maths I thought (and I failed calculus 3 times in a row...)

So yes, the border order states a quarantine can be reset by a stop. In our case we stopped due to weather and a broken autopilot mount. Have pictures of the repairs, customs never asked to see them.  Tonga has been allowing these stops all year no issue from the Tongans that I’m aware of.

upon arrival we were given 14 days quarantine despite all proof to the countary that we didn’t have any contact at or after Minerva. That’s the issue here for us. 

A lack of accountability, complete waste of 2 hotel rooms for 2 weeks and of course the approx cost of $7,000 plus the flying time of then Orion aircraft all wasted due to the stupidity of basically 2 or 3 “Senior officers” 

that by the way don’t return phone calls or emails. Great governance!

4 minutes ago, NorthlandYS said:

upon arrival we were given 14 days quarantine despite all proof to the countary that we didn’t have any contact at or after Minerva. That’s the issue here for us. 

You need to get up to speed with how we deal with covid in NZ. We don't take people's word for it. We have systems in place so NZ does not turn into Florida.

The rules said 12 days. you were 7. What are you struggling with here?

These customs guys you say are unaccountable, they are working for me. They are representing my interests, and I pay their salaries. Their job is to keep our border secure, so my kids can go to school, and my family can go sailing this Christmas. They are doing their job. Very well I might add.

Now you are saying you want them to ignore the rules and let you in without quarantine, cause you 'say' you are fine? So you can do what? go sailing?

So you say they aren't returning phone calls or emails. What the f*ck are you doing still pestering them? They have done there job here...

Jeff, you really need to understand what is going on here, and pull your head in. You are asking for special treatment, despite what the rules say. If that is not the definition if an entitled, arrogant cruiser, I don't know what is. Please, think about your actions here.