NZ37; Scot Tempesta video

We often don’t appreciate what we actually have in this country.

Correct me if I’m wrong but from memory Namu was clocked at 21kts through Tiri channel in a Squadron race to Kawau years ago. Not so quick on a reach as more modern hull shapes but great pieces of NZ history all the same.

2 hours ago, Tamure said:

Interesting seeing it from a US perspective as an "antique sailboat" Namu just retired from Squadron racing this year after 50 years of racing in westhaven, moreover it was pretty much the winning boat in its division.

Part of it is realizing that many of us are now also a little "antique".  Sometimes it comes as a shock.

Because I started keelboat racing as a young nipper on the foredeck from both ends of the harbour, I raced against Namu and some other EnZed Thirty-Sevens (I'm not totally American) when they were still relatively young (excuse the pun).  Nemesis and Notre Dame were active at the city end, and Amber at Bucklands Beach.  Several others here on Crew did the same (as already noted).  Many of the boats of that era which were competive at Richmond, Squadron, Akarana, Bucklands Beach an others are now on the register of the Classic Yacht Association of New Zealand.  So realism sets in.

It is great to see these boats in good condition.  My heart sinks when I see a boat I used to know years ago in a condition today which is beyond economic repair. 

I think the basic hull shape of the NZ37 is still fast.  Jim Young once told me (circa 1986 I think) that he didn't think hull design had changed much over the years, but that designers designed boats that were capable of being built and rigged with the technology available at the time.  You couldn't build a Rocket 31 in 1966 with the materials and technology available at the time (he said) but that he would have if he could.  What he was meaning by this was that he designed to a displacement that could be built and with a rig that could be made to stand up and sails that worked when made of the sail cloth of the time.  Much of the development (he said) was in the rig, sail materials, appendages and hull materials.  It was the 1980s, but even now his observation makes a lot of sense, though obviously hull shapes have evolved beyond a mere reduction in displacement.

I think if I took the NZ37 hull design and tweaked it a little for new appendages, deck, cabin, cockpit and new rig that would still be a very modern boat.   

• Upvote 2

I started my keel boat racing on Amber at Buckland's Beach, we did the "1969 Around Radio Hauraki" race, then progressed on to the NZ37 bigger sister Roulette II with the "Tricky Plumber" or "The Silver Fox" and that was the downfall of my innocent youth.😉

5 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

I started my keel boat racing on Amber at Buckland's Beach, we did the "1969 Around Radio Hauraki" race, then progressed on to the NZ37 bigger sister Roulette II with the "Tricky Plumber" or "The Silver Fox" and that was the downfall of my innocent youth.😉

there were then the big sisters at 46', Totolo for Don Winstone and an unamed centre cockpit version that went to USA.

There is a 42 footer at Westpark that maybe a sistership to Roulette 2

Then there was Jipcho, 41' which was used as the plug for the Young 43 centre cockpit (I guess there must have been a temporary extension to develop the Y43's transom).

All very similar in design concept

3 hours ago, marinheiro said:

Then there was Jipcho, 41' which was used as the plug for the Young 43 centre cockpit (I guess there must have been a temporary extension to develop the Y43's transom).

All very similar in design concept

Here is Jipcho at the start of the White Island Race in 1981.  Ants and Epiglass NZ also in the picture.  

White Island Start 1981_3.jpg

6 hours ago, Tamure said:

Yes we are old, our fleet is pretty sad too and racing is definitely in the toilet no matter what any "postive" people might say. Numbers dont lie! Anyway its xmas, time to runaway, drown sorrows and avoid relatives;  "Here’s tae us! Wha’s like us? Gey few, and they’re a’ deid!"

Not sure this is true.

Auckland still has a great fleet of cool boats. There are grand prix racers like tp52s, a bunch of hot 40s including the melges, and a pretty healthy fleet overall. 

Things may be changing, and this year has been weird, but there are still big winter series/Wednesday night fleets at ryc/rnzys, ssanz was impacted by covid this year but over the last few has regularly set new record fleet sizes, so has coastal (again apart from 2020, probably due to covid)

There is an NZ 41 or 42 on the tamaki river near the PYBC, I chatted to the owner briefly the other night, she is in fairly good condition by the look of her. He said the design was the basis of the Jim Young 43