Launch on Reef

There has been a spate of fires on yachts and launches over the last few months and not just older boats. Not sure what’s behind this but very sobering and worth re-checking:

1. Fire-fighting equipment onboard

2. Family fire-drill

3. At-anchor vs underway fire plan

1 hour ago, Fogg said:

There has been a spate of fires on yachts and launches over the last few months and not just older boats. Not sure what’s behind this but very sobering and worth re-checking:

1. Fire-fighting equipment onboard

2. Family fire-drill

3. At-anchor vs underway fire plan

4. automatic sprinkler system above the home built battery bank ...that was tongue in cheek . Wonder if any fires lately have been      electrical ? 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

It’s not a basic check that’s put that launch on the reef.

Its a basic navigation error, red marker behinds a dead giveaway 

Mate it's a Riv.  What is this concept of "navigation" of what you speak?

2 hours ago, Dtwo said:

Mate it's a Riv.  What is this concept of "navigation" of what you speak?

I always hold one hand up , five fingers well spread when they come too close .....always get a wave a back ....then a look of befuddlement when I leave my motionless hand up as they go past at speed .

I reckon I might make a set large of  flash cards with sarcastic one liners on them , would be handy in the car too .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 44forty said:

I always hold one hand up , five fingers well spread when they come too close .....always get a wave a back ....then a look of befuddlement when I leave my motionless hand up as they go past at speed .

I reckon I might make a set large of  flash cards with sarcastic one liners on them , would be handy in the car too .

I'm reasonably certain that the "Riviera Book of Seamanship" starts with:

1/.  Always pass in front of other boats.  To go behind them would show weakness and betray the Riviera Creed.

The End

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

Could have been an American, they work to a different Red!

Well, according to the other thread, we are still letting Merican's into the country. I'm sure if it was, he'd be blaming us for putting the red on the other side, saying we changed the rules or something, when he didn't actually read, or at least understand the rules he was supposed to be following...

31 minutes ago, Fish said:

Well, according to the other thread, we are still letting Merican's into the country. I'm sure if it was, he'd be blaming us for putting the red on the other side, saying we changed the rules or something, when he didn't actually read, or at least understand the rules he was supposed to be following...

The world is divided into IALA Regions A & B where Region B covers a whole lot more area than just USA

https://www.marineinsight.com/marine-navigation/iala-buoyage-system-for-mariners-types-of-marks/#:~:text=For the sake of maintaining,Japan%2C Korea and the Philippines.

Why split the world - no idea, maybe its like driving on the left vs driving on the right?

I understand the Cardinal system came about because no one could agree which side red and green buoys should be placed in the English Channel.