Jump to content

GPS update missed/should have been retired/hungover/someting else.


Recommended Posts

Using a Garmin GPS76S I brought gawd knows how long ago, to map some plantings and it's been going fine.

But this arvo I booted it up and it initialised but just sat on 'searching for satellites'. It does that always but only for maybe 30 seconds max if I last used it a long time or distance ago.

Does anyone know if there is some GPS to Jan 1st 2021 connection that we may have run into?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What software version? You may need to upgrade... 

Try setting a New Location using automatic it's in the Satellite menu iirc.

You will need to wait a while cause it will need to receive a new almanac.  This could take 60 minutes. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The backup battery in my fizz boats simrad chart plotter has failed and every time I turn it on have to manually enter the depth transducer settings and approximate position, it takes 5-10 minutes to require position. If I don't enter the approximate position it takes much longer. Unit is probably 15 years old

Doesn't save waypoints either. Waiting for boat-show special to replace it, sadly none of them happened last year

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

The backup battery in my fizz boats simrad chart plotter has failed and every time I turn it on have to manually enter the depth transducer settings and approximate position, it takes 5-10 minutes to require position. If I don't enter the approximate position it takes much longer. Unit is probably 15 years old

Doesn't save waypoints either. Waiting for boat-show special to replace it, sadly none of them happened last year

Dont wait for a show special ,go in and negotiate,You would be surprised at what deals you can achieve.

Show specials, are they really on special??brought maxxon  a few yrs ago, boat show special was $1399 from memory brought from their shop (smart marine)$1150 10ft

Link to post
Share on other sites

A great selection, as always Thanks team.

So I thought power but bars showed fine. I thought Hmmmm... and so took 1 (AA of 4) out and shuffled them all back in, bars shows they had gone off. New batteries in and booted up fine but stuck again. 5 or so minutes later I put it down and forgot about it, when I came back it was working sweet. Turned it off, waited 10min, turned it on and acquired enough Sats to pin us down inside 15 seconds odd. It is fast if it's booted in the same place it was turned off or there abouts. 

So no idea what happened and as i have to climb a hill to get reception bugger searching until we're better placed. I'll also suss for updates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KM... said:

A great selection, as always Thanks team.

So I thought power but bars showed fine. I thought Hmmmm... and so took 1 (AA of 4) out and shuffled them all back in, bars shows they had gone off. New batteries in and booted up fine but stuck again. 5 or so minutes later I put it down and forgot about it, when I came back it was working sweet. Turned it off, waited 10min, turned it on and acquired enough Sats to pin us down inside 15 seconds odd. It is fast if it's booted in the same place it was turned off or there abouts. 

So no idea what happened and as i have to climb a hill to get reception bugger searching until we're better placed. I'll also suss for updates.

It has to get the GPS Almanac. It's good for about two weeks. The GPS constellation transmits bits of the Almanac every 15 minutes of so.   This Almanac tells the reciever where the Satellites are. 

When I say GPS I specifically mean the USAs satellite constellation. Not other nations constellations that a more current receiver can use. Advances in receiver processing power has made the Almanac unnecessary in latest devices. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Older GPS devices are facing their own mini Y2K bug April 2019

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/18255847/gps-week-rollover-issue-2019-garmin-tomtom-devices-affected
 

 

thanks for that

i have far too many gps (9?)and recently noticed that some of my old favourites were taking far too long to get a position fix

even when they had recently been through the process of rebuilding their 'almanac' after a long shut-down

sadly the older ones no longer seem covered by maker's firmware fixes:o(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why wouldn't you just use your phone ? !! If it is a newer version it will be running up to 4 different countries satellite navigation systems. ( GPS is the American one ) For land based stuff the not so humble phone is way more powerful than any stand alone GPS. ...and all the maps ( they're not charts) are free , 

(And no.. you don't need to be in range of a tower) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, idlerboat said:

Why wouldn't you just use your phone ? !!

Well, Its KM. He'd need to work out how to use the app ;-) And embrace modern tech. I think by going bush he's trying to get away from all that stuff 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I knew he wasn't sailing the Ross much, but now he's olanting trees in it?

That is taking it being a garden ornament a step too far...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/01/2021 at 7:13 PM, CarpeDiem said:

It has to get the GPS Almanac. It's good for about two weeks. The GPS constellation transmits bits of the Almanac every 15 minutes of so.   This Almanac tells the reciever where the Satellites are. 

When I say GPS I specifically mean the USAs satellite constellation. Not other nations constellations that a more current receiver can use. Advances in receiver processing power has made the Almanac unnecessary in latest devices. 

Back last night and plugged it in. The screen tried to change to black with only green lettering due to the units age but we pushed on. Looks like you were spot on the money fella, nice work. I was a few updates out of date and it needed a general refresh. I notice now it can see 10 Sats at once, until now it's maxed out at 8.

On 5/01/2021 at 3:00 AM, idlerboat said:

Why wouldn't you just use your phone ? !!

Climate change. Look at the energy efficiency of phones in comparison to small stand alone GPS units, chalk and cheese.

I need to be contactable 24/7/366 and as we rely purely on renewables, with the irregularities they come with, every amp counts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Quote
  On 5/01/2021 at 1:00 AM, idlerboat said:

Why wouldn't you just use your phone ? !!

Climate change. Look at the energy efficiency of phones in comparison to small stand alone GPS units, chalk and cheese.

I need to be contactable 24/7/366 and as we rely purely on renewables, with the irregularities they come with, every amp counts.

Wow... maybe you need to go into a methane powered generator.........

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sussed many options, a methane generator being one. They take a fair bit of feeding and we won't have enough to do that, we will only have maybe 35-40 beefs maximum, bloody flash ones the Wa will pamper more then her kids I'd expect.

Also sussed micro pumped hydro storage/power but still working thru the efficiencies or not of the pumping angle, that could take a lot of the power it generates which is sort of OK for water transfer and storage for the trees to drink but as power generation maybe not so much.

So at the moment solar and wind coming as soon as they can get to us. But I am building a solar tracker for the stage 1 panels. That is expected to increase the power output of the panels about 40-50% per day on average over a year.  

I did a wee experiment over this break on having the panels static then 'track the sun'. When the sun came up the panels were set square on to it then every 2-3 hrs they were reset to be square again right up until 7:30pm was the last reset to capture that last hour before sunset. While at sparrows fart and days end they don't put much into storage they do get/keep the voltage up so they reach storage inflow a lot faster or delay storage outflow. The output with tracking over set and forget was huge and very very obvious. We reckon when there was overcast, that lighter sort of stuff, it made the difference even bigger. So I can see times when tracking could double the output per day.

Add a 1000W windmill and we should be more than good to go once Stage 2 of the PV's are in, which will take us a bit over 6kW all up. We are also planning on rivalling Tesla in the amount of battery storage we'll have :)  Carbon Lead looks like the path we'll be heading down for those.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cunning but a little small. 

There seems to be bugger all out there between Home very DIY tiny physical trackers i.e. need to see the sun to follow it, and large, often very large, commercial units running on almanacs. The small ones of these tend to be at least 2.5kW and go up, saw one that can carry over 7.5kW of panels, that's monstrous. The BIG units will become far more prevalent now the, at times, significant environment and animal damage large solar farms can do is starting to make MSM. And I suppose in a drive for better efficiency tracking surly must be a 'go to'. 

Anyway does anyone know of or seen or know anyone that may know more about smaller trackers, say something that can take 1000W of panels sort of size? More the control angle is what I'm after, whipping up the physical structure is not a worry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...