Achilles dinghy pump

Problem: Have inherited an Achilles dinghy with no pump. And of course a slow puncture. As an aside I have a Red paddleboard with pump and hose.

Ideal solution: Buy / make up a hose that I could attach to my Red pump at one end and the Achilles valve the other (see both pics).

Alternative solution: Buy entirely new pump with hose that would fit Achilles.

Any suggestions on achieving either solution - currently based at GH but could drive around a bit if I could ID place that sells this stuff?

E8F20D91-23C5-4FEF-B63C-CD4D65384258.jpeg

CA9D5674-3F17-4004-BD2B-83D63C2A2A90.jpeg

we had an Achilles (20 yrs old), recently retired. We just had a round fitting on the end of the hose. Had to hold it on by hand while pumping - pain in the arse. All the paddle boards and new dinghies have a 'twist and lock' type fitting, which just leaks all the air out if you try it on the achilles.

In theory the achilles fitting was a friction fit, but as soon as you get the pressure up, it would just pop off. We never looked for a legit part, sorry. They are sold in Aust, so you might be able to get something sent over in not too long.

It just has a round rubber insert that goes into the valve. Overtime they hardened and became ineffective as Fish says. 

The valve should have a cap attached.  That thread isn't for the pump. You could probably find a suitable rubber tube with an OD of 1" which would do the same. 

Adapter for a hose https://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/product/achilles-rubber-mold-air-valve-adapter-gray/

Valve: https://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/product/achilles-and-dynous-replacement-valve-achilles-part-c342gy/

Thanks guys. Yes the valve cap is missing which might be contributing to deflation so if I can replace that, that would be a bonus.

I might well order from those links CP - the only issue is time for delivery of parts. And right now we’re hoping to finish the ‘must do’ to-do list tomorrow so we can actually depart for our maiden voyage on 6th Jan - we’ve spent the entire last 2 weeks since the boat arrived sitting on the hardstand / marina getting things ship-shape and the dinghy is one of the last things I need to solve before we can go - which will improve the family mood significantly! 😊

2 hours ago, Fogg said:

Thanks guys. Yes the valve cap is missing which might be contributing to deflation so if I can replace that, that would be a bonus.

I might well order from those links CP - the only issue is time for delivery of parts. And right now we’re hoping to finish the ‘must do’ to-do list tomorrow so we can actually depart for our maiden voyage on 6th Jan - we’ve spent the entire last 2 weeks since the boat arrived sitting on the hardstand / marina getting things ship-shape and the dinghy is one of the last things I need to solve before we can go - which will improve the family mood significantly! 😊

You could unscrew that valve and take it on a journey looking for a rubber hose that jams in it tightly... Then it will be a matter of finding the appropriate coupling to join it to your existing red pump hose... 

Problem solved temporarily (although like many temp solutions it might end up lasting a while). A friend had an adaptor that fits perfectly into the 1 in valve and even has an o-ring on it to improve the seal. At the other end I taped it tightly to the end of paddleboard pump hose and it works (for now)!

92C062BA-D7A9-46FE-B0A0-DAE3C720351D.jpeg

843650C8-ADAE-42CF-93E4-95C747FE91B6.jpeg

• Upvote 1