newbie question - what is this number?

5 hours ago, idlerboat said:

Having your boat registered in a country is mandatory if you wish to travel between countries. This is not local registration or state registrations.  Be very careful about some advice...

Having a vessel registered in a country other than the country that you wish it to reside in can make you liable for GST/VAT/or other import duties.  10 % of the value of the vessel (the value is not up to you to decide) can be a lot more than registration. The registration papers will be required by most countries on first presenting to boarder control/customs. The paper work and initial contact is often done on board...in your saloon...right where the ON often is. If you are cruising you will be given a time limit that you can stay in any particular country (apart from where it is registered ) Go over this limit and you will be asked to pay import duties..(If you are not a resident of this country this can be a problem because you will have to go regardless of if your boat is allowed to stay, although some people commute to the their boats on a seasonal basis)

The ON is not mindless defacing, it is part of a long established marine history. (Like vessels being in 64 parts of ownership) . It is still used as vessel proof in the case of sinking or theft. (and no thieves dont always spirit the original number off and replace with another.......because the number that they replace it with has to also match legitimate documentation. ) We live in an electronic age where computers work in most countries  !! Therefore...the only way you can getaway with false registration is to not get boarded...in which case why bother changing the ON !!

How easy is to find an ON ? ...This easy https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-operators/ship-registration/list-registered-ships 

A unique vessel name is also a requirement in a lot of countries , this is one of the reasons why you see names with numbers or roman numerals after them.

In most cases how the ON is marked has some latitude. In my case, I asked that I not grind or weld into my fully epoxied steel work. A very nice varnished timber plate with security screws was deemed to be perfectly acceptable. 

A couple of comments/corrections

1. Registration varies from country to country, eg typically US yachts sail internationally with only state registration, as getting federal registration is a bureaucratic nightmare. It is not just for tax reasons that many US owned vessels are registered in the Caymans or BVI

2. Registration and import tax are not typically linked. You can buy an AWB in Europe, register it as an Australian or NZ vessel and sail round the world many times without paying any tax as long as you do not exceed time limits in the countries you visit. Whilst most countries have a limit for tourist visas of 6 mths in a year they will often allow temporary importation for up to 2 yrs, allowing you to leave the boat there off season

3. You are citing Australian registration rules where a yacht only has the option of the General Shipping Register. In NZ we have 2 options, Part A registration (equivalent to the General register) and Part B, a lower level registration for pleasure boats to register nationality and the name for a 5 yr period. There is no ON issued, just a 4 digit number with NZ prefix

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/ships/registration/part-B/default.asp#about_registration

NZ Part A confirms ownership whereas Part B does not, can have a mortgage on the vessel recorded and is lifetime. 

• Upvote 1

Re mh.

1. Hmm maybe.. but hey it's the US.. so as l said.. the vessel would be going back to the US. 

2. What l said.and it does. 

3. Yep . Don't change what l said. 

So.. again. International registration effects the country of final berth. Sure you can buy a vessel OS and register in its final country of berth... But as l said....if you don't you Will have to pay dues...

I don't understand why that is being complicated or suggesting otherwise....

IB you seem to be conflating 2 issues.  You can register a boat and you can import a boat.  Two separate, independent processes.

So, I could buy a boat in The Med.  Register it in NZ.  When I get back to NZ and want to keep my boat here, I will need to import it.

Or, I could import a foreign registered yacht.  Many have.

• Upvote 1