Boat rage

you realise of course

that there are many mental + personality conditions shared by those in prison that don't improve no matter how much money is thrown at them

so when people say "they didn't get the help they needed"......it's often not because it wasn't offered but because it either doesn't exist or the offer of help was refused

ie what's the treatment for foetal alcohol disorder?

There is no particular treatment for foetal alcohol syndrome, and the damage to the child's brain and organs cannot be reversed.

If we take the whole range of mental illness, from common disorders such as anxiety and depression, to severe disorders such as schizophrenia, and the hinterland of other conditions, such as personality disorder and intellectual disability, then approximately 50% of all patients with mental illness either have no satisfactory treatments available or often fail to respond to existing ones that may help others.  

Psychotherapy, also called talk therapy, is sometimes used to treat antisocial personality disorder. Therapy may include, for example, anger and violence management, treatment for alcohol or substance misuse, and treatment for other mental health conditions.

But psychotherapy is not always effective, especially if symptoms are severe and the person can't admit that he or she contributes to serious problems.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353934

Because people with antisocial personality tend to blame others, have a low tolerance for frustration, are impulsive and rarely form trusting relationships, working with these individuals is difficult. People with ASP often lack the motivation to improve and are notoriously poor self-observers. They simply do not see themselves as others do.

and we haven't even started on the psychopaths...

so by all means offer treatment, just don't expect the need for prisons to go away  

57 minutes ago, erice said:

you realise of course

that there are many mental + personality conditions shared by those in prison that don't improve no matter how much money is thrown at them

so when people say "they didn't get the help they needed"......it's often not because it wasn't offered but because it either doesn't exist or the offer of help was refused

ie what's the treatment for foetal alcohol disorder?

There is no particular treatment for foetal alcohol syndrome, and the damage to the child's brain and organs cannot be reversed.

If we take the whole range of mental illness, from common disorders such as anxiety and depression, to severe disorders such as schizophrenia, and the hinterland of other conditions, such as personality disorder and intellectual disability, then approximately 50% of all patients with mental illness either have no satisfactory treatments available or often fail to respond to existing ones that may help others.  

Psychotherapy, also called talk therapy, is sometimes used to treat antisocial personality disorder. Therapy may include, for example, anger and violence management, treatment for alcohol or substance misuse, and treatment for other mental health conditions.

But psychotherapy is not always effective, especially if symptoms are severe and the person can't admit that he or she contributes to serious problems.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353934

Because people with antisocial personality tend to blame others, have a low tolerance for frustration, are impulsive and rarely form trusting relationships, working with these individuals is difficult. People with ASP often lack the motivation to improve and are notoriously poor self-observers. They simply do not see themselves as others do.

and we haven't even started on the psychopaths...

so by all means offer treatment, just don't expect the need for prisons to go away  

You realise of course that most of the people with the issues you describe don't end up in prison anyway they just keep on living next door.

Anchored in Issy Bay Monday and suddenly rocked so that anything upright inside fell over. Then a bit later the same fizzboat came as close as 10 metres to my anchored boat doing the same again with the same consequences  but I managed a quick couple of photos. Also indicated 5 knots to no avail. This happens all the time I know.

Boat was called EXESS a Buccaneer with large Yamaha outboard. Complete TOSSER!!!!

20210201_151632.jpg

20210201_151645.jpg

• Upvote 1

A lack of policing will lead to vigilante justice. When law abiding people don’t have faith that the laws will be policed and enforced, they eventually take matters into their own hands. 
They result is rarely good. And at the end the police make a daft statement saying something like “let the proper authorities deal with it”... but they never friggin do!!!

• Upvote 3

Thats piss poor really. Either they should both be penalised or neither of them.

I could understand if the lady had to stop the guy boarding her boat and chose an oar to defend herself, but that she jumped off her boat and went after him, swinging and missing (? Maybe she did get him i dont know)  is no less premeditated.

The sad fact is that both of them,  by their uncontrolled rage, have risked much.

My belief is the cops should give them both a bloody good telling off & make them do community service of some nature, together, and be done with it.

• Upvote 1

There was one aggressor there. One guy got off his boat, got in his dinghy and chased someone else down, operated his boat dangerously, rammed another boat. The lady didn't pick the oar up until after that, after she told him she had kids on her boat. I'm gobsmacked you guys have an issue with that?

From RNZ, he has been charged with assault and operating a boat dangerously... There is clear evidence he did both. So why do you think the lady should be charged with something? for being assaulted?

A 58-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a case of boat rage in the Coromandel Peninsula last month.

He has been charged with assault and operating a vessel dangerously.

The charges relate to an incident, caught on video, where a boat was rammed at Tairua Wharf by an inflatable.

The accused is due to appear in the Hamilton District Court on Wednesday.

Fish I get your point and I would not dispute the guy acted in a dangerous manner, but her response is no less reprehensible. I am sure that his actions constitute 'assault' but honestly cannot believe her response did not.

Given the choice, which of the two weapons on display would you have rather been on the end of? 

They both did something wrong and from that perspective alone surely applying the law evenly would be all I think is to be expected. 

Just to be clear - only imho. None of the participants are known to me.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually interested in what the law says, if someone chases you down and assaults you, are you allowed to whack the f*&%ker back, or just stand there and be assaulted?

Given the provocation by the guy that has been arrested, I'm not seeing any cause for concern by the lady with the oar. I'm sure that faced with the same provocation, many here would have physically assaulted the guy in response... (or at least on the oar to connect first time)

2 hours ago, Romany said:

Thats piss poor really. Either they should both be penalised or neither of them.

I could understand if the lady had to stop the guy boarding her boat and chose an oar to defend herself, but that she jumped off her boat and went after him, swinging and missing (? Maybe she did get him i dont know)  is no less premeditated.

The sad fact is that both of them,  by their uncontrolled rage, have risked much.

My belief is the cops should give them both a bloody good telling off & make them do community service of some nature, together, and be done with it.

Heat of Madness and to be fair WHO hasnt done the nut at someone for same incident.Then dust settles generally followed by a discussion of apology

Join Hands and sing Kumbaya

7 minutes ago, Fish said:

I'm actually interested in what the law says, if someone chases you down and assaults you, are you allowed to whack the f*&%ker back, or just stand there and be assaulted?

Given the provocation by the guy that has been arrested, I'm not seeing any cause for concern by the lady with the oar. I'm sure that faced with the same provocation, many here would have physically assaulted the guy in response... (or at least on the oar to connect first time)

Had he boarded her vessel then yes to the oar,but once he left her vessel the threat has passed??

• Upvote 1

I think you'd find the law says no you're not.

I guess its all a matter of degrees. If you are threatening me with deadly force and its a matter of survival due to the gravity of the threat - I must have the right to snot you first, but only enuff to make u desist or enable my rapid escape.

If she had hit him & killed him (which is feasible - a mathematical genius may be able to predict the tip speed for us i spose:) she'd be up on a murder or man slaughter charge. And rightly so - imho.

• Upvote 1

My bad...from the same article...

Whangamatā police charged a 52-year-old woman on Tuesday afternoon with common assault in connection to the incident. She will appear in Thames District Court on February 18.

Rant over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Romany said:

My bad...from the same article...

Whangamatā police charged a 52-year-old woman on Tuesday afternoon with common assault in connection to the incident. She will appear in Thames District Court on February 18.

Rant over.

Blimey, I'll have to eat my dinner Romany, that was updated after I posted. It would appear I have been corrected...

That would be the answer to my question of what the law says.