Waiheke Island no take zone

On 22/02/2021 at 11:14 PM, harrytom said:

Tiri tiri Matangi would make a great reserve around the whole island,500m exclsion zone,would give visitors the chance to snorkel while waiting for ferry etc.cleanish/clear water.Had this descussion with Scott Macindoe a few yrs ago..    There is a reserve off long bay and I think it is only to protect the pipi beds,n and same around the sisters at Waiheke/ponui only ever held undersize and Kahawai.

The problem is trying to the reserves across the line,opposition from both parties comms/reccs not in my backyard.

Yeah tiri would make a great MR. It's a reserve above the water....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, bigal.nz said:

Yeah tiri would make a great MR. It's a reserve above the water....

And if you watched the programme last night"Legasea" come out once again saying reserves dont work.What is not working is "Legasea" after 8yrs of consultation with fisheries what have they achieved??

As "seafood nz" sums up "legasea" “It’s money. LegaSea is a limited liability company. It can’t get funding unless they create a problem that they say needs fixing. 

Something I didnt know and still not sure if true.The reccs catch is 2:1 ratio.Unles we report our catch that figure will always be an unkown.

https://www.seafoodnewzealand.org.nz/fileadmin/documents/SNZ_Magazine/SNZ_Magazine_February_2021.pdf

page 15 is on Oceans/Fisheries Minister.He has no plans to change QMS.

And unlike three years ago, there is no plan to review the Quota Management System that underpins New Zealand’s internationally rated fisheries management. That proposed review, ill-conceived and poorly articulated and executed, was strongly resisted by industry and iwi and sank without trace. “We are not going to have a wholesale review of whether we should have the QMS,” Parker says.

The strident anticommercial fishing lobby that includes activist academics, Greenpeace, Forest & Bird and the extreme end of LegaSea dismisses fisheries scientists research showing 95 percent of New Zealand’s landed commercial catch is from sustainable stocks and the remainder is under management. “Positions are so entrenched I could swing up and down Queen Street on a vine yelling like Tarzan that all is well and still wouldn’t be believed,” Parker says.

Guess we are screwed if we think the Minister is going to help??

2 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

There's a Rahul on scallops at Mercury bay and everyone is supporting it. Even the September whitianga scallop festival has been rebranded whitianga Oceans Festival and scallops are off the menu. 

it'll go off I'm sure

https://oceansfestival.co.nz/

Problem with Rahui is no one can stop you taking scallops but if the ban was put in place by fisheries different ball game.I believe part of the Whangaroa may closed to scallops next season.fisheries 

Have your say on a proposal to temporarily close the scallop fishery in Whangaroa Harbour and coastal waters shown in the map.
Nga Hapū o Karangahape marae, Whānau pani, Ngāti Kaitangata and Ngāti Kauwau have requested closure of the scallop fishery in this area for a two-year period to allow time for scallop stocks in the area to replenish and regenerate.
Email your submission to FMSubmissions@mpi.govt.nz by 5pm Monday 10 May 2021. Comments on this post will not be considered submissions.
To find out more, and have your say, visit: https://bit.ly/30JbM7Q
14 hours ago, harrytom said:

Problem with Rahui is no one can stop you taking scallops but if the ban was put in place by fisheries different ball game.I believe part of the Whangaroa may closed to scallops next season.fisheries 

Have your say on a proposal to temporarily close the scallop fishery in Whangaroa Harbour and coastal waters shown in the map.
Nga Hapū o Karangahape marae, Whānau pani, Ngāti Kaitangata and Ngāti Kauwau have requested closure of the scallop fishery in this area for a two-year period to allow time for scallop stocks in the area to replenish and regenerate.
Email your submission to FMSubmissions@mpi.govt.nz by 5pm Monday 10 May 2021. Comments on this post will not be considered submissions.
To find out more, and have your say, visit: https://bit.ly/30JbM7Q

The non legal status notwithstanding its Interesting that the local Iwi seem to be more proactive than MPI, good on them I say !

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Frank said:

The non legal status notwithstanding its Interesting that the local Iwi seem to be more proactive than MPI, good on them I say !

Agree.something needs to happen now but the issue for me.will this set a precedent and other Iwi closing areas off with no consultation what's next ? Local beach locked off for Iwi use only 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, harrytom said:

what's next ? Local beach locked off for Iwi use only 

What ever HT. There is legislation for iwi to go to MPI for 2 year no takes, there is no legislation for iwi to block off beaches for their own use. You are just being outright alarmist with that one.