The Wild West Gulf

Just had a cruise around the Gulf. Great stuff generally.....but...oh boy the behaviour of more than a few fizz boaties and jet skiers. I can see why the CG and  R.C have lifejacket rules promotion. And little else. Speed, distance , rules knowledge in these cases are non existent. Anniversary weekend we had a waterskier buzz us less than 10 meters away from us at anchor AND they waved out friendly fashion . Unbelievable.  Same with some jetskiers. 5 knots seems to be just off the plane. Not advocating for more rules here or licensing because it would only affect the good guys . My suggestion is more emphasis on how far 200 meters is, 30 meters and 5knots speed judgement

• Like 1

sitting out in Port Fitzroy at present enjoying the glorious weather and quiet bays, Bowling Alley Bay yesterday was superb. Very few Rivitimos and their like around, in fact in many bays yachts are in the majority and mostly smaller ones , <40'. No jetskis to be seen, just the odd local in their fizzboats.

• Upvote 1

I found that going out on deck with a phone and pretending to video seemed to modify behaviour.  Apparently randomly shooting ignorant twats is frowned on, which is a pity as it would solve some problems.

Licensing is the knee-jerk response and I don't think it would work.  My suggestion is that when a jet-ski changes hands, new owner needs to sign a declaration that they know the rules and will be responsible for monitoring compliance.  Then at least there would be an avenue for civil action rather than expecting non-existent harbourmasters to enforce the rules.  A few high-profile floggings would also help.

Seriously, it is a safety issue and the current situation needs to change.

• Upvote 1

It’s not just jet skis. 
I had two situations in the Gulf during the last week. One was a launch and the other an enormous sailing cat (which did a beautiful gybe of their Code 0 after we bore away to let them past, so clearly are experienced). Also saw another showing no interest in giving way to Prada so Prada had to bear away and go around them.

I’m becoming a proponent of more regulation out there. 

20 minutes ago, Addem said:

It’s not just jet skis. 
I had two situations in the Gulf during the last week. One was a launch and the other an enormous sailing cat (which did a beautiful gybe of their Code 0 after we bore away to let them past, so clearly are experienced). Also saw another showing no interest in giving way to Prada so Prada had to bear away and go around them.

Pretty sure the teams want you to keep a consistent course and they go around you. ETNZ def does.  If you suddenly turn to avoid a boat doing 40 as they take evasive action it could be 'fun'.  

1 hour ago, Addem said:

It’s not just jet skis. 

I had a situation off Gulf Harbour the other day when a guy in a yacht came out, wasn't keeping a look out (wasn't on deck), and needed to give way to me. He didn't cause he wasn't on deck. I went behind his stern close enough to exchange words and suggest he keeps a lookout, esp just off the marina where its moderately busy.

But here is the thing. He didn't hit me, I didn't hit him. We both went on our way. I don't think any of that justifies more regulation.

Remember, there are plenty of people with drivers licenses that still drive like a w^&amp;#&#036;@r...

• Upvote 1
On 5/02/2021 at 2:21 PM, Addem said:

It’s not just jet skis. 

There’s only a few enormous cats out there with code 0 and one of them is sailed by drunken nipples that do inconsiderate sh*t sometimes 

On 5/02/2021 at 2:44 PM, Clipper said:

Pretty sure the teams want you to keep a consistent course and they go around you. ETNZ def does.  If you suddenly turn to avoid a boat doing 40 as they take evasive action it could be 'fun'.  

Oh. That’s surprising but sort of makes sense. Was there notice issued to that effect (that I missed)?

23 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

There is already plenty of regulation, I hope you mean more enforcement?

Not sure what I mean. I should have said “I sometimes wonder whether there should be more...” and I suppose that does mean enforcement. 

I’m not advocating for anything to happen was just musing out loud. 

I sometimes wonder about the desirability of anyone getting in a boat without any ideas and heading out and causing “issues.”  There are a lot of threads on here of people wanting to know how to get started in yachting but a lot more buy a boat of some description and just go. 

Also a fair few people get prosecuted when it goes badly wrong.  

I just hate being on the wrong end of people not knowing how to keep clear, signal their intention early, don’t know how to anchor safely etc etc. 

but we also like our freedom too...