New engine choice

2 hours ago, Tamure said:

Shafts and struts are very reliable, lighter too. A consideration on a cat may be "taking the ground" i.e if you have kick up rudders then will the props will be the lowest most exposed part of the boat? If so then maybe a SD is a better option? 

Yep but no, the carbon rudders are the lowest point, no sitting on the beach for us!

You could always swap down to the smaller Yanmar 3ym30AE and SD25 saildrives with the basic dog clutch. This is what we have in Lady Nada (well the older 3YM30 and SD20) and 95% of time is more than sufficient. There are some times when we feel a little underpowered with a big headwind, but that's more just being a little slow than a safety issue. If we had to repower the boat, I'd chose the same engine/SD20. The 3ym30 is a great engine and very smooth.

Big weight saving too:

3YM30AE + SD25 - 160kg x 2 = 320kg

3JE5E + SD50 - 220kg x 2 = 440kg

But then last time we saw you, you passed us while we were both motoring, doing about 0.25kts faster with a little smug smile on your face, so I'm guessing the extra HP is essential :-)  

BK, I just motored to North Cape, and then back again, at 7 knots. And then just to kick myself in the nuts again I motored up to Kawau for the weekend, and then back again

For $693000 I have a the solution to all your problems.....

43 minutes ago, Adrianp said:

You could always swap down to the smaller Yanmar 3ym30AE and SD25 saildrives with the basic dog clutch. This is what we have in Lady Nada (well the older 3YM30 and SD20) and 95% of time is more than sufficient. There are some times when we feel a little underpowered with a big headwind, but that's more just being a little slow than a safety issue. If we had to repower the boat, I'd chose the same engine/SD20. The 3ym30 is a great engine and very smooth.

Big weight saving too:

3YM30AE + SD25 - 160kg x 2 = 320kg

3JE5E + SD50 - 220kg x 2 = 440kg

But then last time we saw you, you passed us while we were both motoring, doing about 0.25kts faster with a little smug smile on your face, so I'm guessing the extra HP is essential :-)  

No I've actually been doing the calcs on the 30/SD25 myself. The SD20's & 25's have a great reputation.

Dog clutch, no frickin cone clutches! It's definitely an option.

44 minutes ago, Veladare said:

BK, I just motored to North Cape, and then back again, at 7 knots. And then just to kick myself in the nuts again I motored up to Kawau for the weekend, and then back again

I still remember your dipstick shooting out of the engine bay at Barrier! 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Veladare said:

Sounds like a form of medieval torture. 

I have Nanni;'s (Kubota) 37.5 hp in Pzazz -good little motors and extremely easy to service (built in pump to remove oil from sump) coupled with SD50's -yes the cone clutch is problematic but i have put in an upgrade kit (from overseas and Yanmar agents dont want to know about or be involved with) plus use a GL5 rated oil which is less slippery than the Mercruiser and theoretically helps extend life of the cone clutch - 

Have you looked closely at the upgrade kit and what it does to apparently mitigate the SD40/50 problem?

Also the choice of lubricant apparently makes a huge difference.

I’m still learning about this issue myself but this kind of info is interesting me:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/yanmar-sd40-and-sd50-slipping-saildrive-upgrade-192693.html

12 hours ago, Fogg said:

Have you looked closely at the upgrade kit and what it does to apparently mitigate the SD40/50 problem?

Also the choice of lubricant apparently makes a huge difference.

I’m still learning about this issue myself but this kind of info is interesting me:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f114/yanmar-sd40-and-sd50-slipping-saildrive-upgrade-192693.html

Yep we're running that mod. It's helps, but doesn't overcome the inherently sh*t design.

1 hour ago, Bad Kitty said:

Yep we're running that mod. It's helps, but doesn't overcome the inherently sh*t design.

Right ok so you’ve got that upgrade.

It sounds like the early SD60s also had a design flaw but then Yanmar finally recognised the problem and made a change so the latest SD60s are different / better?

SD60's and the current Volvo saildrives are made by Selva for ZF, the Yanmar SD60 has a few mods that the early Volvos dont have, it is very crucial how you set up the cable to give equal (and full ) throw when selecting forward or reverse. Then these multiplate clutch drives should give less issues -note they use normal 15-40 unlike the SD20/25 . The SD40 and 50 have not been sold for 10 years now -but are easy the dress the cones when needed. PRM make a good small V drive that may fit the 3JH Yanmar -the others have gone away from this market.

Much fewer issues with the SD60. After about the first 2 years of production - so 2015 or newer. The clutch system is completely different, using multiplate not cones. Some info here http://geyasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Yanmar-SD60-Saildrive-Brochure.pdf

Much cheaper and easier to go to new SD60's....

On 10/02/2021 at 9:25 AM, Bad Kitty said:

What oil were / are you using in your SD50s? I’m trying to make best selection and I gather it’s not necessarily Yanmar’s recommendation which is either GL4 or GL5 - which are both quite different and not normally interchangeable. I understand users of GL5 with trashed SD50s have reported no problems since switching to GL4.

A real quagmire of conflicting tech advice around these units inc from Yanmar themselves...

Just to close this out (for now) I’ve now obtained the apparently better 90W GL4 oil so I’m going to give that a try and see if it improves my luck. I’ll report back in 300-500 hrs (hopefully) 😊