prada cup finals, best of 13....first to 7 wins

PRADA Cup final races 1 & 2

Saturday 13 February 2021, 4:00 PM at course announced on morning of race day

PRADA Cup final races 1 & 2 are on 13 February 2021.

3 & 4 are on 14 Feb, Sunday

• 16:12     FINAL – RACE 1 STARTS
    Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli vs INEOS TEAM UK
    Exact time will depend on weather conditions
  • 17:12     FINAL – RACE 2 STARTS
    INEOS TEAM UK vs Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli
    Exact time will depend on weather conditions

also

it has been decided to leave the current upper wind limit at 21 knots for the Prada Cup Final and the Match and not increase it to 23 knots as originally specified in the Race Conditions.

The lower wind limit of 6.5 knots remains unchanged.
    The Regatta Director, after consulting with the Challenger of Record and the Defender has also changed the Sailing Instructions for the PRADA Cup and the 36th America’s Cup Match as follows:

15’ RULE
    Similar to the rule that was used in round robins three and four of the PRADA CUP, a competitor may on one occasion ask for a delay of 15 minutes of the start of a race.

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/1040_PRADA-CUP-FINAL-AND-36TH-AMERICAS-CUP-MATCH-AMENDED-RACE-CONDITIONS-AND-SAILING-INSTRUCTIONS

In the lead up to this weekend the forecasts had been suggesting very light conditions, now the picture looks better with slightly stronger north easterly breezes in store starting at around 8-11kts and building to 14kts by the end of the afternoon.

Racing is anticipated to take place on Course A, out in the Hauraki Gulf.

but race director Iain Murray admits there could be a delay with the first race due to light winds.

The wind is predicted to be in the 8-11 knots range for the 4.15pm start time, before rising to 12-14 at 5.15 and about 14 for a 6pm start. Racing cannot start any later than 6pm.

1 hour ago, erice said:

benny says they lost the 2nd, average winds, race because they were still carrying the big light air jib

and it's the only thing he can change...

Thought they changed jibs??might explain the horrible creases when released.

Someone on  the radio made a good suggestion.Seeing how the top end wind range has been capped why not increase the minimum range by 2 knots.

ben's on empty

the team's on empty

he and gile?'s dinghy sailing hasn't prepared them for match racing starts

in high winds they may win a race or 2

but they'd never challenge etnz in the lighter stuff forecast for next month

so it's best that....

• Upvote 1

A number of my non-sailing friends have asked, "What is velocity made good ??" 

This short video by Nathan O. does a pretty good job of explaining it. 

But note that he does not actually define it . .  I find that humorous. 

(Even more humorous from the geniuses at Wiki  . .  laughably wrong . .   "Velocity made good, or VMG, is a term used in sailing, especially in yacht racing, indicating the speed of a sailboat towards (or from) the direction of the wind")  

AJ

we've just been told we're back into a level 3 lockdown

a family cluster of 3, mum works at an airline food company 

so schools and shops basically closed from midnight and everyone asked to stay home

like melbourne our 3rd lockdown

rest of nz goes to level 2

kicks off 11.59pm tonight in 4 hours

wonder if racing tomorrow will be cancelled tomorrow?

no groups larger than 10 permitted

will ineos get a covid reprieve to turn their boat around? 

As a Course Marshell I was told at level three there would be racing but no spectator fleet so no stake boats required

Haven’t heard officially yet but the levels and plan was set way back last year., but then again the one constant in the a whole event is change.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

(Even more humorous from the geniuses at Wiki  . .  laughably wrong . .   "Velocity made good, or VMG, is a term used in sailing, especially in yacht racing, indicating the speed of a sailboat towards (or from) the direction of the wind")  

OK, so that really is fractally wrong, but I don't want to beat up on Wiki too much. 

They provide a wealth of good information, and I admire their great volunteer spirit. 

(I think I owe it to them to give a polite head-up on the VMG thingy. I will do that.) 

And OK champs, lets help them out. how do YOU define VMG? Can you do it without reference to vectors ? 

Maybe a simple clear definition is not that easy after all . . 

From Lake Tahoe Sailing, this is better .  .  Velocity Made Good is a concept that combines your speed and direction towards a given waypoint to get you there as fast as possible.

Any problem with that one . .  ? 

VMG can be the actual speed toward (or from wind) direction, or to (or from) a destination - which could be a mark, waypoint or other feature.  It is the actual rate of progress directly towards (or away from) the reference point being used.

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

OK, so that really is fractally wrong, but I don't want to beat up on Wiki too much. 

There is no right or wrong answer to what is VMG, it's just which sailing circles you have been in and what they have called/defined it.

Even in NZ I have heard both sides mentioned interchangeably - so long as you get the nomenclature defined onboard it isn't an issue.

VMG is well established as towards/away from the wind.  But it can equally mean towards/away from a given reference point depending on who you talk too.

VMC (course) is well established as towards/away from a given reference point.  But some sailors will say oh that's just VMG towards a waypoint, and a tactician might call this as "waypoint VMG is x.xknots".  Instead of "VMC is x.xknots"

If you are doing windward/leeward racing, then you would typically just call VMG all the time.  If you're doing "harbour racing" then both values come into play - but VMC is more important.