America Magic vs.Harbourmaster

Shame on the the Harbourmaster who reportedly  issued a $200 ticket to AM for exceeding 5 knots within 200 metres of another vessel.  The cynic might say - easy pickings but not me. Pity there was no such enforcement over Anniversary weekend  when there was real endangerment by speeding vessels of all kinds in various anchorages. . Many would have been thrilled to have been aboard the ferry and chipped in for the fine. Typical selective enforcement ?

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

Shame on the the Harbourmaster who reportedly  issued a $200 ticket to AM for exceeding 5 knots within 200 metres of another vessel.

Shame indeed, its only illegal to exceed 5 knots withing 50 metres of another vessel

It was actually for exceeding 5kts within 50m. But in saying that, I thought this was within an Vessel at Anchor/berth. I would have thought the Ferry would have been underway. And besides, how many times have the Ferries violated that if you happen to be somewhere close to there lane. Even if you are fishing close to the lane, they are supposed to slow to pass you.

3 hours ago, wheels said:

It was actually for exceeding 5kts within 50m. But in saying that, I thought this was within an Vessel at Anchor/berth. I would have thought the Ferry would have been underway. And besides, how many times have the Ferries violated that if you happen to be somewhere close to there lane. Even if you are fishing close to the lane, they are supposed to slow to pass you.

No.

The law is 5knots, 50m from another vessel anchored, moored, underway, sailing, motoring, stationary or drifting. 

Ferries are covered by an uplift clause that allows them to go faster than 5knots in many areas when within 50m of a vessel. 

The purpose of the Auckland ferry lane is to prevent anchoring and congestion, although it also is a speed uplift area and it allows ferries to exceed 5knots within 200m of the shore line and within 50m of another vessel. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tamure said:

there goes yacht racing

Two, (or more), vessels that are yachts racing, are exempt from the 5@50 rule - don't even need to be in the same race.

However, their is no exemption for the 200m shoreline law, or the 5@50 rule if the other vessel is not racing. Mostly everyone breaks these at some point in time.  It never seems to get a mention.

Race finish lines entirely, or with one end, within 200m of the shoreline are bugbear of mine.

51 minutes ago, Tamure said:

I hear you, but the Westhaven start tower.... Anyway the principle is common sense- reduce speed to a safe level when in proximity to other vessels swimming areas etc.  planing runabouts and launches are the worst offenders

and yachts in Westhaven marina (and launches to be fair)