Consultation opens on proposed Bay of Islands marine mammal sanctuary

Totally agree Mr Fogg and loving the last sentence, that's something we should be doing more of not all this patch here, patch there crap.

We're pushing for the same 'combined master plan' on some mooring shenanigans a couple of rich listers are trying to do now around Rakino. That's another fight clubs seem to be not telling their members sadly. On the objections list I saw a week or 2 back was only the PCC & GHYC with help from the AYBA to try and stop the silliness. I hope more have jumped in since, we have a meeting around those next week so I'll suss. If all clubs teamed up just think of the power that would give boaties. But that's not gonna happen unless members push their managements into letting them know this sort of sh*t is happening. Good on those couple of clubs who care enough to step up and at least try, shame it only seems to be the same small few though.

Anyone know if we would we see signs of an expanding Dolphin population in 2 years?

Does anyone actually have a draft of the gazette notice specifying the actual regulations to be enforced (other than whats on the DoC site) or is there just a bunch of speculation going on here?

If you do have a copy of the draft please upload it so we can all read it.

• Like 1

I see there is another piece on the state of the HG tonight on TV (in addition to all the previous doco's like the price of fish etc).

Can't we stop the talk and just get on with trying something, more reserves, change QMS, change commercial and rec limits.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, lateral said:

Could come from the top, but first man doesn't seem motivated or has conflicting interests.

Start with a string of reserves in the coastal stream & fishing ban in inner HG/harbours under threat.

Who is first man?

If you look at consultation process it will go for yrs. Lock that area off we want(commercial)this part.No No cannot have that part thats where majority of recs fish.and on it goes till Commercial walk away and say "Its your"we have fished it out.Minister Parker is another weak minister. Thought we might of done ok under Nash. Guess commercial money talks especially when your the president of the National party and major Sandfords holder.

The guts of what some are a bit concerned around this proposed sanctuary is all about the lack of info around enforcement of some rules that are being referred to by DOC as being 'black and white'. As we know DOC hates people so there is a concern enforcement will be black and white with little wiggle room for common sense or the Dolphins desires. For example if a boat saw some dolphins coming and changed course to avoid but the dolphins choose to follow and then come within 400m of the fleeing boat to have a play as they often do, should the boat be screwed? Most say No but the rules are 'black and white' in saying Yes.

The boats other option is to drop into idle or drop sails and sit still in the water until the dolphins leave so there are bound to be a lot of boats who will try to avoid the 400m distance as they have sh*t to do and places to be.

Will the rules be enforced that way? They say No but they always say that and have said the same about many others in the past which has proven to be false, they do go on to enforce in the manner they said they wouldn't. 

There is also a big concern this is the thin edge of the the wedge so if the rules are set up poorly now there is a high chance when the sanctuaries are rolled out nationwide the tricky rules will go with them. So there is a big need to get them right the first time.

Here is more

- https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2020-media-releases/doc-concerns-for-iconic-bay-of-islands-dolphin/

- https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyn9l816rvcs0rg/ProposalDetails_Presentation_250221.pdf?dl=0

Thats right KM. The devil is in the detail,particularly detail  thats vague especially on enforcement. With Regional Council / Harbour master it only takes one zealous officer and they have the book to throw at an innocent boatie . It's the hassle and expense of proving you're not guilty whilst they have an inexhaustable supply of both.. The good intentions fly out the window once some officers get involved.

1 hour ago, armchairadmiral said:

Thats right KM. The devil is in the detail,particularly detail  thats vague especially on enforcement. With Regional Council / Harbour master it only takes one zealous officer and they have the book to throw at an innocent boatie . It's the hassle and expense of proving you're not guilty whilst they have an inexhaustable supply of both.. The good intentions fly out the window once some officers get involved.

Not just the Habour master throwing thebook,some greenie with a cell phone filming you and reporting to H/B office.Thats the scary part. What do you do at night when sailing along down wind 7/8 knots and a dolphin decides play time??

2 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

particularly detail  thats vague especially on enforcement.

Everyone I've spoken to likes the idea of and would support the Sanctuary but from all I've seen, heard and sussed that vagueness around enforcement is a real concern. Especially so with the unbelievably bizarre decisions coming out of Wellington around things DOC.

• Upvote 1
On 17/03/2021 at 4:09 PM, KM... said:

Everyone I've spoken to likes the idea of and would support the Sanctuary but from all I've seen, heard and sussed that vagueness around enforcement is a real concern. Especially so with the unbelievably bizarre decisions coming out of Wellington around things DOC.

When the draft regulation isn't even available how do you expect anyone to tell you how they are going to enforce the unknown? 

The Northland Regional Council is planning to increase rates by around 20% in the first year and by at least 100% over the next 10 years. In small print is a sentence that says "ramp up our pest management on land and underwater" which I would think means the dreaded Fan worm is in for more wasted money! They are "Thinking big" with "our money. They claim to be open and transparent, but when I asked how much they had spent on fan worm eradication I was told I would have to get make an official information act request.  So much for being open and transparent. They plan to get bigger and won't be going away any time soon.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, bigal.nz said:

When the draft regulation isn't even available how do you expect anyone to tell you how they are going to enforce the unknown? 

The proposal is all there, things like this don't get to this stage with a motherload of plans and paper already in place.  The idea is to engage now to try and make the law not a pile of arse that it a will be if left only to DOC. All everyone one wants is the best possible outcome for every mammal involved.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, KM... said:

The proposal is all there, things like this don't get to this stage with a motherload of plans and paper already in place.  The idea is to engage now to try and make the law not a pile of arse that it a will be if left only to DOC. All everyone one wants is the best possible outcome for every mammal involved.

Can you please post a copy of the draft regulation for us to read?

If they ever releases any drafts, sure. But you could be too late to have any input into it by then.

That's why they are asking for your opinion now.

It's good that we're getting this out there now and talking about it. The proposal is just that, a proposal. The statutory regulations and any legislation have not been drafted. This will all come later after the feedback reshapes the proposal. 

The government requested proposal is all that has been produced so far. 

Along with the proposal there are drop in sessions for people to go along and hear what has be said about proposal. Disappointingly I note that none of these are in Auckland, but hey, NZ does not revolve around it. 

Statutory public consultation on the proposal opens on April 12th.  

At that point, we the public get to have our say on the proposal and make any recommendations. We don't get to change the proposal it is too late for that and the drafting of it was not public. 

Everyone is able to download and read the proposal here and then when consultation opens on April 12th, people who want to, can have there say about it. 

What's missing for me is that there is no presentation being given in Auckland. Auckland boaties are not insignificant users of Pewhairangi.

I am going to contact them on Monday and ask if they will consider doing a presentation in Auckland.

PLEASE UPVOTE IF YOU'D CONSIDER GOING TO AN AUCKLAND PRESENTATION. 

PS: I hate that they used Dropbox for this. 

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

It's good that we're getting this out there now and talking about it. The proposal is just that, a proposal. The statutory regulations and any legislation have not been drafted. This will all come later after the feedback reshapes the proposal. 

The government requested proposal is all that has been produced so far. 

Along with the proposal there are drop in sessions for people to go along and hear what has be said about proposal. Disappointingly I note that none of these are in Auckland, but hey, NZ does not revolve around it. 

Statutory public consultation on the proposal opens on April 12th.  

At that point, we the public get to have our say on the proposal and make any recommendations. We don't get to change the proposal it is too late for that and the drafting of it was not public. 

Everyone is able to download and read the proposal here and then when consultation opens on April 12th, people who want to, can have there say about it. 

What's missing for me is that there is no presentation being given in Auckland. Auckland boaties are not insignificant users of Pewhairangi.

I am going to contact them on Monday and ask if they will consider doing a presentation in Auckland.

PLEASE UPVOTE IF YOU'D CONSIDER GOING TO AN AUCKLAND PRESENTATION. 

PS: I hate that they used Dropbox for this. 

Thanks for the link. That is the first formal document I have seen.