herald ban?

On 6/03/2021 at 5:32 AM, aardvarkash10 said:

BBC.  Stiff upper lip, but straight up.

New York Times (partially paywalled, but worth it)

The Guardian.  Telegraph for balance.

The Atlantic (paywalled, but worth it) for its long-form journalism

Al Jazeera, with provisos

Stuff - distinctly improved on its earlier incarnations

Newsroom has interesting mix of opinions and has added to  local investigative journalism

The Spinoff.  Its miles from balanced, but open about it and doesn't keep trying to sell me a house

I would take the bbc off that list given their record over the last 5, years.

upvote The Atlantic, and NYT - also exceptional quality English. 

Gave up on Stuff about 6y ago. RNZ for me.

sometimes Washington Post

• Like 1

BBC front of house newsroom went to the dogs years ago at the hands of over-ego’d TV presenters (like many commercial channels in that regard). But behind the scenes they still deliver some high quality insightful & balanced material - ironically mainly their reporting of wider works affairs outside the UK.

The only news media I am prepared to pay for is the Economist. Fabulous combination of in-depth analysis inc both facts & opinions. And most importantly it’s easy to see which article is which - very little blurring ( if you are reading it sober). By the time it reports NZ events they must be NZ events of interest worth knowing about. And they are often written up more clearly by overseas media than by our own clowns.

For AC viewing, I’m a grown man so obviously I can’t stand the pre-school TV coverage and only listen to livestream.

16 minutes ago, KM... said:

On sussing NZ outlets I am struggling to find much variation in the news being reported even if there is a sh*t load of variation on the commentary around those news stories. Not that sure the Herald is as dodgy as some others but as most is paywalled there could be trash behind it.

We are small, a village really.  Its to be expected that not a lot happens, and when it does everyone is gossiping about it.

What I miss is anything with analysis and long form journalism.  We used to have it - Listener (RIP) among others - but these forms seem to have all but disappeared and we are left with quick-fire clickbait as a poor second prize.

I'm keen if someone wants to point me in the direction of a publication that is doing this.