Sever Earthquake off NI East coast and Tsunami Warning

7.1 magnitude (maybe 7.2 - 7.3)
2.27 AM
Centred 100km east of Te Araroa off the coast of New Zealand, at a depth of 94km.
Tsunami warning issued.

The East Coast of the North Island from CAPE RUNAWAY to TOLAGA BAY.
Strong and unusual currents and unpredictable surges near the shore are expected in the following areas. This means a threat to beach, harbour, estuary and small boat activities.

The East Coast of the North Island from PORT CHARLES to CAPE RUNAWAY including Tauranga, Whakatane and Opotiki.
And from TOLAGA BAY to MAHIA, including Gisborne. As well as GREAT BARRIER ISLAND, and the CHATHAM ISLANDS.

The first waves were expected to reach New Zealand in the areas around East Cape about 3:14 am.

I really am getting sick of all these alarms, alerts, warnings, severe warnings.

Can't I just have my breakfast without worrying about the sky falling on my head?

Yesterday we had a 'severe thunder storm warning'. We had some good thunder, but I couldn't understand why it wasn't just a warning of thunder storms, rather than 'severe'.

At least they didn't set the car alarm noise off on my phone this time, like on last Saturday night, when I was trying to chill out with the missus and watch a movie.

We're still at L3, and that haven't had a damn single case of community transmission. Planning on what to do this weekend, can't take the kids sailing (yet), maybe I'll go windsurfing, no- threat of death in near shore water activities, f*ck. Can't watch the America's cup...

Stuff have posted thier news story that makes it sound like many on the East Coast need to evacuate. I think they have simply cut and pasted the warning advisory, if one experiances a shake in which they cannot stand up in. It's worded/put together poorly I feel and could make some panic reading it the way written.

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Scientists,  you know - those evil people trying to take over world government. And some DoC rangers.

Are you on the boat? Touched the bottom yet?

Hi KM

No 1 - Is that from the 1st rattle at 2:30am +/- or something else? If from the 1st shack why only East cape do you think, I'd have expected Northland and Barrier to have twitched as well.

Most of that is actually the ground going up and down with the quake, hence appearing as water level changes. Note the high frequency

No 2 - Below those are the signs you mention as now arriving? On the Barrier one the wiggle goes left a far bit, would that be smaller waves arriving from the 1st rattle?

Yes that's the long period signals starting to arrive about 40 cm  

No 3 - Those spikes would be due to the quake. The grey either side of that, and can be seen on others, is that just your average day to day bigger waves that inhabit oceans?

That is the aftershock, the high freq stuff. The light grey is the swells, the black is filtered to get rid of the higher freq swell signals

Hope that helps.

Looks like some serious low amplitude coastal surging ahead. 30-40cm tidal rise and fall over maybe an hour.

13 minutes ago, Fish said:

Hey Mr Eruptn, how come the whole of NZ including Stewart Is is on alert for strong surges, but not the coast around Chch and Timaru?

That will be a result of the bathymetry and physics of the calcs used. Note its less than 30 cm, not no surge.

21 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Meant to be an hour after high tide on the Manukau - looks more like an hour either side of low.

Hightide on the Manukau is 1.00pm ish but yep it's out at pahurehure.missing about 2 m