new ac race dates set

2 hours ago, Zozza said:

Is it because the course should be out further in the Gulf to provide more chance of windshifts, but they want the course close in for the "benefit" of the spectator fleet?

If the latter, utterly ridiculous, because at the moment its a bit like cricket in that if you win the toss you win the match, and if you win the start in this AC you win the match race.

Think they were using that course to prevent large gatherings on shore, at the time of course announcement we were still in level 2

My god there are some boring old men with selective memories. 
I know you think you recall close racing with lead changes and exciting starts, but that is such rose tinted glasses nonsense.

IACC racing was in general so boring it puts insomniacs to sleep. Sure there was some epic racing, but in general, win the start, win the race. Just like now.

go on youtube and watch. My god its dull

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Clipper said:

My god there are some boring old men with selective memories. 
I know you think you recall close racing with lead changes and exciting starts, but that is such rose tinted glasses nonsense.

IACC racing was in general so boring it puts insomniacs to sleep. Sure there was some epic racing, but in general, win the start, win the race. Just like now.

go on youtube and watch. My god its dull

Yet it was exciting enough for non sailor NZ'ers to become enthralled with AC yacht racing - so your personal contention versus the masses does not equate.

What would happen if they changed the rules so that the boats have to enter the start box 3 or 4 minutes before the start?  Would that make the pre-start more interesting?

I like that idea. Then if 1 gains an advantage the other can try to wriggle away to retrieve the situation. Kind a like cat n mouse, sometimes cat wins sometimes not...

Next time maybe. If ETNZ holds it I'd hope so, cos I'd rather see refinement of the wheel - not a new one.

2 hours ago, Romany said:

I like that idea. Then if 1 gains an advantage the other can try to wriggle away to retrieve the situation. Kind a like cat n mouse, sometimes cat wins sometimes not...

Next time maybe. If ETNZ holds it I'd hope so, cos I'd rather see refinement of the wheel - not a new one.

spin it out to get more $$$$ ??

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Island Time said:

What a bunch of wingers!  Close regatta, anyone's to take, boats are similar performance. I'm enjoying it :-)

Whingers really ?? boats similar preformance,dont think so,Etnz when behind dont get the thrashing like LR does.

lr does.

• Like 1

LR were the first to win 2 races

LR were the first to win 3 races

it's not enough for etnz to level the score at the end of each day because if LR are the first to win 7 races it's all over!

hopefully they will survive this light wind and be able to get ahead next week in stronger winds

I drove up to Auckland to see them sailing a few weeks ago.  Had an awesome day with Nz Italian and America’s boat flying past me less than 50 metres away and now spending a few days watching at the big screen at the viaduct. Loving the racing and the atmosphere. Incredible what they can do in the light winds yesterday. 

Seems pretty exciting from where I am watching. 

D82306E5-0D84-4E3C-99D5-5163093BD139.png

My interest level just went up three notches  i found out this morning that younger daughter in the UK has a deal with her Italian friend. A chocolate bar for each win. Currently she owes him three bars of Whittaker's and he owes her three bars of some fancy Italian chocolate  

Shit is getting real.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lateral said:

Overall I am fascinated. There is only one AC and match racing (or lack of it) is only part of it.

The nuances of these foilers, in different conditions, are mind boggling.

Like having to pass thru your own wind shadow and the absolute need of time-to-line precision.

Both crews are still on a massive learning curve.

The challengers accepted the protocol, and a royal battle it is turning out to be.

That we have the ability to design/build/run the event in boats pushing physics to the limit is hard not to be proud of. 

Bit like our success with covid 19. Easy to take for granted.

More wind pls Huey. (For variety)

15 knts + would be interesting