Weighing a dinghy

What’s the best way to do this? My fish weighing scale is too small (it’s also rusted from lack of use because of course there are no more fish left but that’s another topic).

No it’s “weigh” too heavy and big for that! But I finally thought to do the obvious - look up the specs and hey presto! it’s still current and confirms my suspicion that it weighs over 50kg. Whereas the one I want to replace it with is only 30kg. So easy decision.

To answer your original question, I have weighed dinghies of this weight with bathroom scales, one end at a time. Its important to keep the whole thing level (sitting flat on the scales at one end, and on a block of wood at the other). It is far easier doing it with two people. But if the dinghy is held off the ground at two points, the force at each point added together will equal the weight.

Its not super accurate, like for class weight compliance for racing dinghies, but it will tell you how heavy your dink is for hauling up a beach etc.

Yeah I thought about the scales thing. But now I’ve found out my current thing is about 55kg and the alternative I’m going for is bigger and 30kg. Which means I can swap the 6hp 4S (25kg) out for my 15hp 2S (36kg) and I’m still at least 10lg lighter. Which my davits will be happy about.