Thailand welcoming yachts...

As the article says everyone will be wearing a mandatory digital tracker confirming their health and location for the 14 days. They use the same system in HK to confirm new arrivals are staying at home for self-isolation as required.

Only NZ uses a ‘strategy of hope’ aka “trust” combined with occasional phone calls or even a door knock when the case officers feel like it’s a nice day for a walkabout to pick up some more donuts.

• Upvote 3

Given both Thailand and HKG are effectively military states with a somewhat lax approach vis-a-vis citizen and human rights, I'm guessing they don't have any qualms about getting people to wear jewellry that sends your location and personal health details on open access telecoms systems.

Here, the paranoids on both left and right would be screaming the house down.  Comparisons to Home Detention bracelets would no doubt be made, and not glowingly.

• Upvote 1

But I bet if people were given the option to either self-isolate at home wearing a ‘privacy-invading’ bracelet for 2 weeks or spend 2 weeks in a MIQ hotel room - then suddenly most people would quietly drop their ‘privacy is sacrosanct’ principles and happily go home with some temporary tech jewellery.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kevin McCready said:

So what's to stop 2 or more people from meeting in the same anchorage?

The bracelets show location!!! So if bracelets from different boats suddenly come close together then the GPS tracking will alert the authorities that the people wearing them are now too close eg. on the same boat having a party.

But I imagine 2 boats anchored 50m apart is fine.

27 minutes ago, Fogg said:

But I bet if people were given the option to either self-isolate at home wearing a ‘privacy-invading’ bracelet for 2 weeks or spend 2 weeks in a MIQ hotel room - then suddenly most people would quietly drop their ‘privacy is sacrosanct’ principles and happily go home with some temporary tech jewellery.

I get it and personally don't disagree with the concept as an option.  I'm guessing there is a practical numbers limit to the option as well - its not an opportunity to open the border.

4 hours ago, Fogg said:

As the article says everyone will be wearing a mandatory digital tracker confirming their health and location for the 14 days. They use the same system in HK to confirm new arrivals are staying at home for self-isolation as required.

Only NZ uses a ‘strategy of hope’ aka “trust” combined with occasional phone calls or even a door knock when the case officers feel like it’s a nice day for a walkabout to pick up some more donuts.

Is this correct?  Don't all returnees enter MIQ for 2 weeks, with multiple tests?

The "trust" model operated in the early days - we were checked on by multiple professional, courteous and well trained police staff.  Then we moved on to MIQ as the volumes of returnees decreased, at inverse proportion to the whingeing and whining of certain political parties who really couldn't decide what they wanted.  Goodness knows where we would be had they been listened to.

• Upvote 2