Keel blasting

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Anyone can recommend someone? We are hauling may 3rd and I want the bulb taken back to the steel. 

Have you checked what your haul out location will allow in the way of blasting - lots of OH & S issues.

Some may allow soda blasting but garnet grit blasting is a challenge, for the latter you will probably have to go to a commercial slip

yup - the guy who did ours a couple of weeks ago.

Jeremy, ph 021 338 556.

Nice guy, tried with soda first but it wouldn't cut it so came back and did it with garnet, no additional cost.

Did four others on the Panmure hardstand after they saw ours, everyone happy as clams.

Tell him Ashton recommended him.

Would it not be easier to just sand aggressively till fair and then a new coat/s over? I would remove fully only if it were coming away from the substrate, If it is only due to being a ruff surface, then a good hard sand is all that is needed.

• Upvote 1

So. Initially the whole job was shit. Thanks MEC marine.

Eventually the boss came to look at it and agreed.  He and another contractor sanded and re applied CC to the hull. That's good. Then the boss decided to go home to Chch and told new contractor to finish it up quickly as he was losing money. The keel had been stripped and painted with interprotect a year or two earlier.  It looks ok but the CC isn't working.  I suspect done last the copper had drifted to the bottom of the container and all i have is epoxy . My plan is to sand then 2 to 3 coats of CC mixed properly. 

Th bulb was never prepared and 1st contractor covered old paint and even barnacles   . This i want to go back to the steel, then interprotect, then CC.

So i could do it with the right power tools but would pay to have it blasted to save the agony.

While all this is happening Hibiscus Painters will be painting the boot stripe and topsides as overspray CC looks shit.

Plus the rudder has to come off as the expensive engineer did a shit job of installing the top bearing last haulout.

I agree with Fogg. The NZ marine industry has gone downhill. 

• Upvote 1

It’s supply & demand. There’s an acute shortage of 15m+ berths all over the place and the quantity of new boats being launched in Auckland alone is making it worse. I was on a waiting list for weeks to get mine so I struggle to see why the marinas wouldn’t capitalise on that. Until the recession bites of course...

I'd reckon there's a point to argue BP. 

Pretty sure commerce commission might have a few things to say about this sort of behaviour. To my mind its like false advertising.

The price list is current, doesn't indicate it's subject to change without prior notification and while every business has to have that right, there are rules about how they must go about it.  If they didnt tell u at the time of booking I'd say its too late.  

Toe rags.

Update.

Angela didn't trust me to talk to them so she called. From memory:

A: we dont think this is legal, commerce commission  mumble mumble.

GH: it says on the price list we can put prices up.

A: I have a hard copy , date stamped,  and it does not say that.

GH: let me check.

Later

GH: we will generously charge you at the advertised rate.

My reading of that is they tried to rip us off, got caught out and begrudgingly agreed to be honest.

• Upvote 1
On 17/03/2021 at 8:39 AM, Winter said:

is that haulout prices going up? or berth rates?

Just got this notification from Gulf Harbour:

Please find links below for the 2022 Gulf Harbour Marina Scheme Operating Budget along with the schedule of applicable annual charges for the 2022 year.

As a result of the Manager negotiating a reduction in Council Ground Rent (backdated to 2017), a once-off refund and reduced onward fee has resulted in the 2022 budget seeing a decrease in berth fees of 16.4% over 2021.

The budget does not call for any increase in contributions to MRF over last year’s contributions. Contributions to the MRF have not been increased for several years.

1 hour ago, Vivaldi said:

As a result of the Manager negotiating a reduction in Council Ground Rent (backdated to 2017), a once-off refund and reduced onward fee has resulted in the 2022 budget seeing a decrease in berth fees of 16.4% over 2021.

Wow, decreases don't happen very often!

Wonder if it will apply to any other marinas?