Coppercoat

3 hours ago, wheels said:

The new owner of my boat has just recieved a horrible shock from the local Port Marlborough Travel lift. The told him the cost of lifting out the Boat was $600 and that if they had to drop, adjust and relift, they wou;ld charge him another $400. So total cost could be $1000. That is daylight robbery.
So he asked around for a diver and got told off. Apparently the Port Company have said that you cannot clean your boat in the water anymore.

http://www.marinebiosecurity.co.nz/downloads/4741190/in-water+cleaning.pdf

sounds like he needs to take it out of the marina to a quiet bay to do the job. We went thru this nonsense at Sandspit for a while but now we can dive on boats in the marina. 

21 minutes ago, chariot said:

I use Ultra 2 and find it ok. The main reason being that I can scrub it without watching all my antifoul disappear around the bay.

Where do you keep your boat chariot? 

I moved away from the ablatives because I would wipe all the product off cleaning for racing.

BP, the Altex agent told me with the abliatives, it washing off when using the boat, i.e. first half hour it would wash off. I would imagine any wave action increases the shear stress enough to wash things off. The main concern I have is the high growth in the river. I don't think its had to reach a tipping point where growth becomes too thick, and wont wash off under use.

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Self cleaning. I've simply never known it to work.

So much has changed in the AF industry in recent years due to what is not allowed anymore and I have not kept up with it.
We used to call it self polishing. It had Hydrogen Peroxide in it and this slowly reacted with the water and bubbled taking very small amounts of the surface with it. Thus the self polishing or Self eroding term. The Micron name was due to there being two types of fouling. Micro and Macro. Most regular AF's were for Macro, which is the normal Barnicles, mussels and weed etc. Micro is slime and algae and requires a more potent chemical mix. But I see that those coatings are no longer.

3 hours ago, Fish said:

Where do you keep your boat chariot? 

I moved away from the ablatives because I would wipe all the product off cleaning for racing.

BP, the Altex agent told me with the abliatives, it washing off when using the boat, i.e. first half hour it would wash off. I would imagine any wave action increases the shear stress enough to wash things off. The main concern I have is the high growth in the river. I don't think its had to reach a tipping point where growth becomes too thick, and wont wash off under use.

I find a good bash to windward gets rid of most slime except for the rudder which is easy to clean. Our boat is kept in Whitianga marina.

One of the competitors in the GGR (solo round world race) used coppercoat. 

Large amount of goose barnacles attached after 5 months. Some commentators think he didn't "activate" the coppercoat correctly.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com%2Fa498f07f28c09fcbdbb99eea7%2Fimages%2Fb0947495-b244-18f0-deee-fb5442993c50.jpg&t=1674246712&ymreqid=1aac6985-258b-21ec-1c6f-8e0000011e00&sig=4mnSkBSZduNKshe44wN0Rg--~D