Viking Vee-Drive for Cavalier 32

Hello

My mecahnic thinks I need to replace my v-drive.

It's a "Viking Vee-Drive" and it's probably 47 years old dating back to when my Cavalier 32 was built.  The engine faces to the fore, and the engine's drive reverses (through the v-drive) to connect with the propellor shaft which comes through the hull under the engine.

So far, all my internet searches have turned up nothing similar to the unit I have. I wonder if any knowledgeale old salts can advise what I should do? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Martin

9 hours ago, Martin Wright said:

Hello

My mecahnic thinks I need to replace my v-drive.

It's a "Viking Vee-Drive" and it's probably 47 years old dating back to when my Cavalier 32 was built.  The engine faces to the fore, and the engine's drive reverses (through the v-drive) to connect with the propellor shaft which comes through the hull under the engine.

So far, all my internet searches have turned up nothing similar to the unit I have. I wonder if any knowledgeale old salts can advise what I should do? 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Martin

This was locally made (they also used to make stern drives) but any trace of the company would be long gone.

Has it actually been opened up for inspection? I would expect it is fairly simple inside just some bearings, gears and most likely dog clutches for shifting. The bearings and gears would be easy enough to replace, the dog clutches might be a bit more of a challenge. 

• Upvote 1

When you say your mechanic thinks it needs replacing, what problems are you actually having with it?

Any marine item at 47 yrs old I would think most professionals would say it 'needs' replacing. You'd be hard pushed to find an option as solid in today's gearboxes, and would think a refurb would be least expense, esp for the quality of the gear.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Fish said:

When you say your mechanic thinks it needs replacing, what problems are you actually having with it?

Any marine item at 47 yrs old I would think most professionals would say it 'needs' replacing. You'd be hard pushed to find an option as solid in today's gearboxes, and would think a refurb would be least expense, esp for the quality of the gear.

Hi Fish. My mechanic sent it to some eperts to be "tested", but they said that two of the threaded bindings jad broken. That means they can't reseal the unit once they open it. Hence me asking for advice. Thanks for responding.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Martin Wright said:

Hi Fish. My mechanic sent it to some eperts to be "tested", but they said that two of the threaded bindings jad broken. That means they can't reseal the unit once they open it. Hence me asking for advice. Thanks for responding.

Hi Martin, I was more wondering why you started looking at it, was it leaking oil, not going into gear, no drive at all?

We had a 35 year old PRM 220 gearbox on an Isuzu 38. Very solid, hydraulic gear box, not made any more. The output bearing was worn, so it was hard to get engine alignment, consequently we found it was leaking oil, but that wasn't apparent at the time. I had 'experts' look over the whole engine and gearbox (we ended up replacing the whole lot with a new Beta 35). And we got the gearbox upgraded from the standard spec to the modern equivalent of the old gearbox, still by PRM (Beta will supply anything you want with their engines).

I found that experts, especially ones with good reputations in the industry, they are risk adverse in terms of doing a job that may not be completely perfect. They don't want disputes, they don't want come backs, and more to the point, they can't offer warranties on work on gearboxes that are already 47 years old. So they will say it is "unserviceable", and you need to replace it.

Depending on your appetite for cost and risk, you could take it to any old mechanic and replace or service the bits that are giving trouble. It may not be perfect, it may only last five years, or two years, no one really knows, and that risk is yours. It could last for 10 yrs. It may only cost a modest amount compared to a new gearbox. I do know that new gearboxes are built much lighter (lower spec) than the solid old ones. They are built to a price, and the work load (duty point) is carefully matched so that it works just fine, but they are definitely not over spec'd like the old ones.

It can be a tough call putting expensive new components onto a boat that is already 'well used'. It can be like pulling a string on a sweater, everything unravelling. First this, then that etc. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

I had a remotely located ZF box on our Cav 32. Took it to the agents and what a bloody disaster. Went in as a V drive and I got it back as a straight drive. That's what you get when the experts have a play with it. I would look at options away from V drive units.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

My cav i put in a little Volvo with sail drive. Meant the engine went back under the cockpit and opened a lot of space in the cabin.

I believe that would be the best option. Probably what I would have done if I had kept the Cav.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, chariot said:

I had a remotely located ZF box on our Cav 32. Took it to the agents and what a bloody disaster. Went in as a V drive and I got it back as a straight drive. That's what you get when the experts have a play with it. I would look at options away from V drive units.

Hi Chariot. Thats the thing: what options are there "away from v drive units"? 

3 hours ago, chariot said:

I believe that would be the best option. Probably what I would have done if I had kept the Cav.

Yes, I am considering that idea. But it seems likely that it would cost more because of the reconfiguration of drive shaft etc. Do you think the sail drive would work when the engine faces forward? The point where the drive shaft exits the gear box is a long forward of the actualy position of the propellor.

12 hours ago, Fish said:

I found that experts, especially ones with good reputations in the industry, they are risk adverse in terms of doing a job that may not be completely perfect. They don't want disputes, they don't want come backs, and more to the point, they can't offer warranties on work on gearboxes that are already 47 years old. So they will say it is "unserviceable", and you need to replace it.

You may have hit the nail on the head here. The initial problem was that the thrust bearing broke, so the propellor shaft went backwards about 70mm when we put the engine into reverse (to lay anchor). Paddy (of Paddy Marine) says he does a "complete job" and won't touch it unless the whole drive train is tested. That includes the v-drive. When he took the v-drive to be tested (not sure by whom) they said that because two of the threaded bolt-holes were broken, that they would not be able to seal the unit after inspection. 

57 minutes ago, Martin Wright said:

Thanks for the tip. I contacted Bill. He says he has a "kanzaki". I'll jhave to look it up on Google.

that is a japanese gearbox normally fitted to Yanmars, it would bolt up to the bell housing whereas you have a remote mounted vee drive.

• Upvote 1