Waiheke access south side

What’s best logistics to get a family ashore in dinghy and into a taxi around Putiki Bay area? Kennedy Pt? Ostend? And leaving the dinghy for a few hours.

go to the boat ramp at the end of wharf Rd.  We go there all the time.  can leave dinghy out of the way on the ramp (most of the dinghies never move there).  Never had any problems in almost 20 years.  Short walk to Ostend or just get a taxi.

Not sure what you draw.  South side of moorings has about 1m at low, almost directly inline with the ramp.  Most yachts anchor more towards the car ferry, but there is space to anchor all along the sth side of the moorings with more water as you head west.

As Fogg said - the other options around Putiki Bay are quite tidal ....

The pontoon/pier at Kennedy Pt is another option -buses going to Ostend or Oneroa from there - you could leave the tender on the breakwater side of the pier where it would be out of the way for anyone launching from the ramp

Yes the pontoon at Kennedy Pt worked well, thanks. Also an easy pickup / drop off point for taxis. It blew a bit whilst we were ashore so I kept an eye on AIS in case I saw Fogg moving. But the holding seemed quite good there esp with 50m of 12mm chain out in 3m of water.

On 28/03/2021 at 11:37 AM, Fogg said:

Yes the pontoon at Kennedy Pt worked well, thanks. Also an easy pickup / drop off point for taxis. It blew a bit whilst we were ashore so I kept an eye on AIS in case I saw Fogg moving. But the holding seemed quite good there esp with 50m of 12mm chain out in 3m of water.

You weren't the noisy boat on saturday night were you?  the one with the loud stereo with thumping bass.

We always anchor on the eastern side of Putiki. It is a much more pleasant outlook than looking at the ferries.

No we had a birthday party ashore got back onboard about 8.30pm. The noise seemed to be coming from a house ashore on the W side. We needed to be close to the ferry to minimise dinghy ride to the pontoon with family onboard in a big blow. Managed to stay dry.

You can get some good land based party noise up there.  Encountered it quite a few times.  The live aboards up there tend to be quiet.  We always go way up the eastern end, minimise ferry wash etc and easy to get to the wharf rd boat ramp.  Nice walk up over the hill to Ostend via a council track too.