Further woes - removing an engine via companionway and boom

This would be a good opportunity to switch to electric propulsion, save you the problem of getting that old lump back in.

We've got some nice lightweight 5kw brushless units under development, you can lift them in by hand!

16 minutes ago, syohana said:

This would be a good opportunity to switch to electric propulsion, save you the problem of getting that old lump back in.

We've got some nice lightweight 5kw brushless units under development, you can lift them in by hand!

I am interested to know how this technology has progressed and how it compares realistically now. When we replaced our Volvo 29hp 2 years ago, the cost of batteries/motor and the most efficient diesel generator was more than a replacement engine and we still needed to buy a sail drive.

The generators came in on paper a good few percentage points more efficient than the new engine which I liked.

But unless we committed to being a full time race boat out of and back to marina power only and made sure we never raced on a day with light winds that we'd need to retire, and find ourselves too far from home, I couldn't make electric cost effective once factoring in the diesel genny costs. 

19 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

I am interested to know how this technology has progressed and how it compares realistically now. When we replaced our Volvo 29hp 2 years ago, the cost of batteries/motor and the most efficient diesel generator was more than a replacement engine and we still needed to buy a sail drive.

The generators came in on paper a good few percentage points more efficient than the new engine which I liked.

But unless we committed to being a full time race boat out of and back to marina power only and made sure we never raced on a day with light winds that we'd need to retire, and find ourselves too far from home, I couldn't make electric cost effective once factoring in the diesel genny costs. 

good questions, I'll start a new thread with the answers rather than go off topic here.

Engine out today.  Went pretty smoothly with the exception of a minor dent in the companionway top step and the engine choosing to become a horizonal rather than vertical twin as it was transported off the jetty.

Nothing monumental to add to the excellent advice in this thread except to say it works.

• Upvote 1