Rich guy puts weight behind anti-Waiheke Marina movement

10 hours ago, marinheiro said:

France appears to be an "outlier" in this respect, maybe berth rentals are subsidised there as the government does put a lot of money into boating.

Looking across the channel searched a couple of UK examples. The south coast is dominated by Premier marinas, who if you believe letters in the UK yachting mags can give Westhaven lessons in how to rip off customers.

For a 12 m berth pa

Brighton: €5,900  https://www.premiermarinas.com/UK-Marina-locations/Brighton-Marina/Rates-and-charges

Port Solent: €8,275  https://www.premiermarinas.com/UK-Marina-locations/Port-Solent-Marina/Rates-and-charges

which explains why quite a few UK boat owners have chosen to berth their boats in France

Yeah the UK is not a great example, but there must be plenty of less expensive Marinas. 

The marinas I checked in Germany, The Netherlands, Italy and Croatia were all much more aligned to the French price range than the English.  Chanel Islands (Jersey) were a bit more than Brittany, and the Med in general was a bit more than what I'm paying also, with French marina's there about 20-30% more, and Greek marinas (Lavrio) being slightly more expensive than in Brest. 

Something else you notice in the marina's in France - most of the boats are in great condition, clean and well maintained. 
Private companies providing shoreside services are also moderately priced and efficient. 

don't normally read fb much and I know the fact that it's posted by Chloe Swarbrick will have multiple eyes rolling in peoples head, but...

WTF are the developers on to actively get offside with even more people than they're offside with already.

They might have the consents required but if they are actually breaking them at the first step as she suggests then surely you're putting the whole project at risk?

Have got word from Protect Kennedy Point peaceful occupiers on the ground/moana that developer works are firing up to dismantle the rock wall home to our little blue penguins, kororā. I contacted Waiheke’s Local Board Chair, Cath Handley, who has now publicly said that officials had yesterday received a statement these works would not start until at the very least a solution to rehome these penguins was found.
Am in touch with the protectors and officials and will communicate any and all updates, but if any folks are able to get down to Pūtiki Bay/Kennedy Point to support, please do. 🐧
2 hours ago, muzled said:

don't normally read fb much and I know the fact that it's posted by Chloe Swarbrick will have multiple eyes rolling in peoples head, but...

WTF are the developers on to actively get offside with even more people than they're offside with already.

They might have the consents required but if they are actually breaking them at the first step as she suggests then surely you're putting the whole project at risk?

Have got word from Protect Kennedy Point peaceful occupiers on the ground/moana that developer works are firing up to dismantle the rock wall home to our little blue penguins, kororā. I contacted Waiheke’s Local Board Chair, Cath Handley, who has now publicly said that officials had yesterday received a statement these works would not start until at the very least a solution to rehome these penguins was found.
Am in touch with the protectors and officials and will communicate any and all updates, but if any folks are able to get down to Pūtiki Bay/Kennedy Point to support, please do. 🐧

This was covered extensively in the Environment Court Hearings

https://www2.justice.govt.nz/website-documents/NZEnvC-081-Walden-v-Auckland-Council-SKP-Inc-v-Auckland-Council.pdf

it can be downloaded and searched for "Penguins". Usual story of the objectors not accepting the umpires decision

Sounds like the developers have stopped work now due to the protesters. 

There could be 30 or 40 penguin nests in the rock wall but maybe only 2 occupied.

The number of appeals made, and the basis of those appeals, it looks like the Save Kennedy Point people are "vexatious litigants". They are really taking the piss. Send them the bill. I note they have a CEO... strange.

The below is after the full RC process, going to the Environment Court. SKP claimed there was a miscarriage of justice because Iwi were not consulted. The Supreme Court said this: It also found there was no miscarriage of justice because the Ngāti Paoa Trust Board had an opportunity to make a submission when the application was publicly notified, but didn't, and SKP had not produced any evidence of adverse cultural effects arising from the project.

In 2016, the marina business won consent to develop the project but that was appealed unsuccessfully in the Environment Court by opponents.

SKP then went to the High Court to have that rejection overturned but they were late filing their appeal and although they sought leave to extend that period, they lost.

At the same time as that application was going on, they tried to go back to the Environment Court for a rehearing on the basis that there had been new and important evidence, or there had been a change in circumstance, which justified the new hearing.

That was heard in 2019 by the Environment Court, which rejected the opponents' case.

So SKP appealed that at the High Court. That matter was heard in June last year but the High Court said there were no errors of law by the Environment Court.

But the opponents again filed an application to appeal that High Court decision to the Court of Appeal. That was rejected late last year. The judges said they made their decision because the High Court's ruling was well-reasoned and cogent.

So SKP appealed the decision to the Supreme Court, hoping for a substantive hearing. That was rejected.

22 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

It is a development that converts public land to a private use.  It should stand close scrutiny.

It did, via the Environment Court. The rest is just vexatious litigants. This has been going on since 2016. I fully agree it needs to stand close scrutiny. But there is close scrutiny, sore loosers and people who blatantly don't understand the process, and when they should be engaging with it.

• Upvote 3
14 minutes ago, Fish said:

The rest is just vexatious litigants.

This is true if the courts say its vexatious.  I understand they now have.  That's how it works.

I don't at all disagree with your other points and would go further - there are those who use the process as sport.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, aardvarkash10 said:

This is true if the courts say its vexatious.  I understand they now have.  That's how it works.

I don't at all disagree with your other points and would go further - there are those who use the process as sport.

A bit like some on here.

• Haha 4

Waiheke marina developer, opponents strike deal: no more court action on 186-berth project

Waiheke Island's marina developer and opponents have reached a deal after years of court battles which ended at the Supreme Court. This concludes the four-year saga between Kennedy Point Boatharbour and SKP [Save Kennedy Point] Inc over the Kennedy Point Marina. 

Sebastian Cassie, SKP Inc chief executive, said his group would no longer challenge the marina project to create 186 berths. "SKP acknowledges that the marina consent has been approved and tested through every court," he said.

SKP has also agreed to withdraw its judicial review and interim orders application on the basis of undertakings given by Kennedy Point Boatharbour to revise its kororā plans to ensure better monitoring and protection.

Having secured positive outcomes for the environment and the community, SKP has agreed not to take further legal action to oppose the marina. The settlement requires KPBL to ensure kororā at Kennedy Point Bay are protected through a revised kororā plan, which is required to be prepared with input from an expert appointed by SKP, before being independently considered for approval by the Council."
Tony Mair, Kennedy Point Boatharbour managing director, welcomed SKP's moved.

"It is good to be able to put this litigation behind us so that we can focus on building a marina that we believe all New Zealanders will be proud of. We remain committed not just to protecting the kororā and other wildlife at Kennedy Point but to giving back to the greater community of Waiheke and mana whenua," Mair said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/waiheke-marina-developer-opponents-strike-deal-no-more-court-action-on-186-berth-project/OC5QEWJD54YAMPI2LKF6LCW43Q/

On 10/06/2021 at 8:28 AM, marinheiro said:

just typical of the "mob rule" that is becoming more and more prevalent in this country.

Yes gone from a "vocal minority" to a "screaming minority"