Racing Rules 2021

So it looks like a lot of minor tweaks that won't affect us.  Biggest change is when starting or finishing is when the hull crosses the line (not the prod or kite any more).

4 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

So it looks like a lot of minor tweaks that won't affect us.  Biggest change is when starting or finishing is when the hull crosses the line (not the prod or kite any more).

Yep, thats significant.

One thing I don't understand (and it's not a change) is calling for water can only be done on the wind. If you are running you have no rights if being pushed into the shore. The americas cup amended that to both upwind and down.

I've had this twice this year where we were pushed unto the beach (actually ran aground both times) It's easier to stop/slow down to give yourself room to tack when the wind than it is to slow down on a run.

8 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:One thing I don't understand (and it's not a change) is calling for water can only be done on the wind. If you are running you have no rights if being pushed into the shore. The americas cup amended that to both upwind and down.

I've had this twice this year where we were pushed unto the beach (actually ran aground both times) It's easier to stop/slow down to give yourself room to tack when the wind than it is to slow down on a run.

Us too! It’s a bizarre change. 

22 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Yep, thats significant.

One thing I don't understand (and it's not a change) is calling for water can only be done on the wind. If you are running you have no rights if being pushed into the shore. The americas cup amended that to both upwind and down.

Rule 19: entitles a boat to room at a continuing obstruction such as the beach. You can't be pushed into the beach! Wtf? Hail: WATER (there's actually no obligation to Hail for room but it's prudent to do so and WATER is the defacto standard) 

Rule 20: entitles a boat to room to tack at an obstruction and you must be close hauled to be entitled to room to tack. Hail: ROOM-TO-TACK (unlike rule 19 this is a requirement) 

An OBSTRUCTION can be another right-of-way racing-boat. 

An CONTINUING OBSTRUCTION cannot be another boat if that boat is underway. 

Hacksaw blades 

Rule was, may still be to carry 10? hacksaw blades. Who ever dreamed this up has never ever tried to cut wire rigging. Had cause recently to cut 10mm s/s wire.Luckly at home,broke 3 blades,while cuting could see sparks,so in the event of an emergency think one would be stuffed,pitching sea way etc. Bolt cutters after several cuts nicking each strand eventually cut through it. So would it be better to carry a battery grinder and 12 blades?

2 hours ago, harrytom said:

Hacksaw blades 

Rule was, may still be to carry 10? hacksaw blades. Who ever dreamed this up has never ever tried to cut wire rigging. Had cause recently to cut 10mm s/s wire.Luckly at home,broke 3 blades,while cuting could see sparks,so in the event of an emergency think one would be stuffed,pitching sea way etc. Bolt cutters after several cuts nicking each strand eventually cut through it. So would it be better to carry a battery grinder and 12 blades?

In my experience quite the opposite. When we lost the rig on Sundreamer it was hanging under the boat. Big diameter stays drum tight and the bolt cutters wouldn't look at it. Passing the hacksaw over them even lightly just saw them parting like butter.

But yeah if I was racing a boat that size again I'd carry a battery grinder.

• Upvote 1

I have cut many stays with hacksaws and can agree that a good hacksaw blade can very quickly cut a stay. I think there is a massive difference between a hacksaw blade in good condition and one that has been kicking around a bilge for years.