Rudder.

Hi Guys,

Ok my little Cavalier 26 has a Frankenstein rudder on her.  As per pic's,  apparently rudder was damage a few owners back ???  

I have a feeling that the rudder on her now will not be ideal or really fit for purpose. but hopefully will give me enough to at least put her sails up and still sail with some sort of stability.

What are my options here ??  I would love to bring it back to original but how ? is there anyone out there that can give me some advise going forward.

Thanks guys

Steve

Soulmate_Rudder1.jpg

Soulmate_Rudder.jpg

2 hours ago, Sabre said:

It looks like your hull has been modified, probably when built, to accomodate a stern hung rudder. 

Yeah I reckon to Sabre,

I guess all will be revealed when she comes out of the water. I will see what I am up against. Make the call from there. Most likely the easiest thing to do will be to improve what’s already there. But would love to bring it back to original. 
cheers mate

steve 

Are you wanting to improve atheistic appeal or sailing performance?

You could do a much nicer job of a stern hung rudder. Going back to the original design would cost moon beans. 

Can't see the underwater sections from your photos, but looks like it needs some nice foil profiles. It is achievable DIY. NACA foil profiles are available on the interweb. these are the most common and suitable shapes. NACA 12 I think is most common for keels. If you are re-doing the rudder, you may want to give some thought to or check with a designer on the chord, depth and surface area of the rudder.

For asthetic appear, I'd go with a new tiller, and varnish it. Give it some nice shape and colour.

Have a look,  see if the original rudder tube is still there. If so, it's not an enormous job to go back, and diy rudder. The rudder shift and tangs might be a bit pricy though. ...

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Are you wanting to improve atheistic appeal or sailing performance?

You could do a much nicer job of a stern hung rudder. Going back to the original design would cost moon beans. 

Can't see the underwater sections from your photos, but looks like it needs some nice foil profiles. It is achievable DIY. NACA foil profiles are available on the interweb. these are the most common and suitable shapes. NACA 12 I think is most common for keels. If you are re-doing the rudder, you may want to give some thought to or check with a designer on the chord, depth and surface area of the rudder.

For asthetic appear, I'd go with a new tiller, and varnish it. Give it some nice shape and colour.

Yeah definitely want it to look good. There was a rudder on trade me that had all the seals and bearings on it for 280 odd. So maybe?? But going as you say do up a new transom style. 
will post pictures up when she comes out. 
cheers mate

Steve 

38 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Have a look,  see if the original rudder tube is still there. If so, it's not an enormous job to go back, and diy rudder. The rudder shift and tangs might be a bit pricy though. ...

Yeah will do buddy. Thanks for the advice 

cheers 

steve

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Thats what I was thinking.If tube there,knock extension off and build a rudder,Not hard just time consuming and hardstand fees costing .

16 minutes ago, Sabre said:

To go back to an original style rudder would mean removing the extended skeg. 

hopefully just glassed and bogged in,maybe a screw or 2 from inside. Cavs are heavy on the helm at times so cannot see how the stern hung would work properly.We broached just after and hell of a lot weight on helm. 

No photo description available.

20 minutes ago, harrytom said:

imo be worth it,any problems I might be able help you.

Yeah I reckon. I will contact the People who had it listed. And thank you so much for your offer of help. That’s Awesome. mate cheers 

Steve 

• Upvote 1

Hey Guys,

I am off tomorrow to grab this to see if I can make it work, For when Soulmate comes out of the water. Harrytom has very kindly offered his help which will be gratefully accepted when the time comes.

But what have here I have to eventually make it look like that first picture. Unless someone has a Cav 26 that they are wrecking haha

Thanks for the comments and I am learning heaps guys cheers

Steve

Credo 2.jpg

Rudder project2.jpg

Rudder project1.jpg

Rudder project.jpg