Rescue in Bream Bay, DIY style

17 hours ago, DrWatson said:

I'm actually interested in the CPR in community numbers. 

The last course I did spent a bit of time on the defib thing. A couple of points I picked up. 

You are something like 400 times more likely to need a defibrillator than a fire extinguisher, have a think about which one is mandatory in the workplace, or boat. 

Seconds count when it comes to resuss. Getting a defibrillator on someone as fast as possible should be pretty near the top of the priority list. 

Download the AED Locations app, there are a surprising number of them around. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

You are something like 400 times more likely to need a defibrillator than a fire extinguisher, have a think about which one is mandatory in the workplace, or boat. 

Seconds count when it comes to resuss. Getting a defibrillator on someone as fast as possible should be pretty near the top of the priority list. 

Yeah they were also my take homes from the course, and the reason I'm looking into getting one. 

Didn't know about the App, great idea. Should be a part of any OS.

One thing made very clear in my 1st aid training was that it is extremly unlikely you will ever bring a non beating Heart back to beating by CPR. The only reason you do CPR is to maintain blood/oxygen flow. Hence why you never stop till a paramedic take over. The only way to restart a Heart is via a shock from a Defib unit.

Father in-law had a heart attack at home, mother-in-law caught him as he collapsed, then performed CPR and phoned for ambulance, 15minutes later firetruck arrived followed by an ambulance, fire fighters took over doing CPR, ambos got a defib on him then off to hospital, we were told very small chance of him coming through it without brain damage. 5years on his jokes are as bad as they ever were.

His wife knowing and performing CPR saved his life.

• Upvote 1
On 14/06/2021 at 6:03 PM, Black Panther said:

I think my wife could do it, wonder if she would. 

Does Angela pay your life insurance premiums "no dont worry about it sweetie, I'll look after it"? If so be very, very careful :) 

Heart attack victim here. If you experience any symptoms call 111. I was very lucky. The genetics of my family mean we don't clear cholesterol properly. One brother dropped dead at 52, another brother had a heart attack in his 30s. I went to hospital complaining of severe shortness of breath while out running. I was super fit and the young registrar in ED wanted to discharge me but then he thought he should double check with a more senior doctor in cardiology. They then said you are aren't going home. Triple bypass (bumped up the list because a Jehovah's Witness didn't want to risk a blood transfusion, thanks bro). Later my GP said you've had a heart attack. I said no I just had shortness of breath and they got it early. GP then showed me the blood tests and explained. Yep. Heart attack. It was just over a year ago and I'm back running and haven't felt this good for a long time.

Looking back I had noticed strange pains in my arms for a couple of weeks prior and noticed I was slowing down. I wrongly attributed this to getting old. It's possible the Latitude 28 guy may also have noticed something strange in the weeks prior. So again, if you have the slightest doubt, phone 111 or get yourself to ED.