Northern Triangle race

18 hours ago, ex Elly said:

- Boats must be either a Monohull yacht bigger than 7.923m or a multihull yacht 10.0m or bigger, and must hold a current Category 3 Safety Certificate for the duration of the race. All other entry requirements as detailed in the Notice of Race must be met.

image.png.38c3df757dab5201a61b2293d286fbe0.png 

We are looking into this, most likely it’s a data entry issue with the cert or possibly info supplied incorrectly 

Weather the boat is capable of handling the conditions that could be encountered will be the next step we will work through.

Just because a boat has been entered doesn’t mean the entry has been accepted 

For the last RNI we required extra proof of suitability from some of the let’s say more marginal boats.

We are still hoping to get a few more boats off the wait list, but probably not all unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Weather the boat is capable of handling the conditions that could be encountered will be the next step we will work through.

Not sure why, but SSANZ has specifically excluded monos of 26 feet or less.  Possibly because they are too slow, and will hold up the others at the stopovers?

A Reactor 25 successfully completed the Solo Trans Tasman race in 2010. And the very first RNI race was won by a Mummery 25, with a Raven 26 third.  All of these are excluded from the Northern triangle. So they are perfectly capable of sailing to Mangonui or Tauranga.

2 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

Not sure why, but SSANZ has specifically excluded monos of 26 feet or less.  Possibly because they are too slow, and will hold up the others at the stopovers?

A Reactor successfully completed the Solo Trans Tasman race in 2010. And the very first RNI race was won by a Mummery 25, with a Raven 26 third.  All of these are excluded from the Northern triangle.

Yes, its a pity.  I note, however, that Trish finished over a week after the 2nd to last boat into Mooloolaba.

That sort of thing tends to strain the volunteers a wee bit.

I also know of a Raven 26 that used to regularly cruise the Pacific. 

I guess times have moved on.  That was back when men were men and sheep were nervous.

• Upvote 1

7.926 is 26 ft and it’s boats under this

However we can and have taken boats smaller 

it was always based around Raven 26 being the smallest 

Doesnt mean we won’t exclude a larger boat if it’s deemed unsuitable 

Stoked to see Stewart 34s and Beale’s make it into the N truck angle race those boys on Open Country showed all the displacement keelers  the way on the enduro race. Shaping up to have some good racing at the slow end of the fleet!

recon the 3 Young 11s will have some cool racing too

Some clarification needed from the NoR please.

1.4 Yachts must produce evidence from Maritime Radio that transmissions from their VHF and AIS have been received clearly at a range of no less than 20nm from the nearest Maritime Radio Antenna.

Isn't 20nm for AIS Class B transponders a bit of a stretch? Most info I can find has the nominal range for the 2W transponders at 5nm - 7nm and the new 5W transponders at 10nm - 15nm. Does that instantly rule out the 2W versions? 

Won't you only get 20nm in perfect conditions from a 5W transponder (and less on a short mast), or again does this mandate a transponder that supports the SAT-AIS / Message 27 which I assume provides huge range?

23 minutes ago, Norwegian Blue said:

Some clarification needed from the NoR please.

1.4 Yachts must produce evidence from Maritime Radio that transmissions from their VHF and AIS have been received clearly at a range of no less than 20nm from the nearest Maritime Radio Antenna.

Isn't 20nm for AIS Class B transponders a bit of a stretch? Most info I can find has the nominal range for the 2W transponders at 5nm - 7nm and the new 5W transponders at 10nm - 15nm. Does that instantly rule out the 2W versions? 

Won't you only get 20nm in perfect conditions from a 5W transponder (and less on a short mast), or again does this mandate a transponder that supports the SAT-AIS / Message 27 which I assume provides huge range?

Yes, that is pretty close. Std Class B can sometimes do 20nm, but often  not.  An the reception is often not to Maritime NZ antennas anyway.... but the nearest shore station, many of which are private...

Full details will be sent to competitors but effectively you need to do a radio check with Maritime Radio on VHF at a range of no less than 20nm from their transmitter ( Waitakere for Auckland Maritime or Great barrier for Barrier Radio )

Westhaven is only 12nm from Waitakere so Motuihe or Tiri or the likes are mid 20s. Call Maritime asked them for a radio check and also ask them if your visible on AIS including your recent track, ask them to email you a copy of this check, job done.

Maritime doesn’t use the private receivers, all their data comes off their sites or via satellite so idea is it must work better than directly under a Marine Traffic site.

I recently installed a new VHF in my boat at Westhaven, so I did a radio check with MR on Akl Maritime they said I was coming through 4/4 which is what I’d expect at that range, I then asked them if I could call on GB Maritime, this came through 3/4. I then had confidence that I’d be received at upto 50nm from a land based receiving station.

hope this helps

12 hours ago, Jon said:

Full details will be sent to competitors but effectively you need to do a radio check with Maritime Radio on VHF at a range of no less than 20nm from their transmitter ( Waitakere for Auckland Maritime or Great barrier for Barrier Radio )

Westhaven is only 12nm from Waitakere so Motuihe or Tiri or the likes are mid 20s. Call Maritime asked them for a radio check and also ask them if your visible on AIS including your recent track, ask them to email you a copy of this check, job done.

Maritime doesn’t use the private receivers, all their data comes off their sites or via satellite so idea is it must work better than directly under a Marine Traffic site.

I recently installed a new VHF in my boat at Westhaven, so I did a radio check with MR on Akl Maritime they said I was coming through 4/4 which is what I’d expect at that range, I then asked them if I could call on GB Maritime, this came through 3/4. I then had confidence that I’d be received at upto 50nm from a land based receiving station.

hope this helps

Thanks Jon, that makes sense.

Just so its clear, class B AIS was never intended to provide satellite tracking. Its not 100% reliable, and can drop in and out. Class B is only 2watts. To get real satellite tracking you need a 5w unit, the SOTDMA ones, or class A. Virtually no yachts have these - yet.

But if the antenna is mounted on a spreader, or a decent splitter is used, a standard Class B will (usually) do 20 miles if the antenna is properly installed, in good order, mounted high, and there is a direct line of sight to the receiver station. 

3 hours ago, waikiore said:

That Shimmer fella is probably hoping for weather like the Three Kings race a few years ago -when the old kauri Towngirl came through and wupped them on handicap!

I was on that townson. Was a long slow race but we worked pretty hard. It suited us in the end. Iirc the race started Thursday, and prize giving was scheduled for the Sunday night. But at the appointed time I think only Vodafone was finished - the rest of us were still out there. 

37 minutes ago, raz88 said:

I was on that townson. Was a long slow race but we worked pretty hard. It suited us in the end. Iirc the race started Thursday, and prize giving was scheduled for the Sunday night. But at the appointed time I think only Vodafone was finished - the rest of us were still out there. 

We held discussions on board OF about when the iron headsail was to be deployed so crew could make it to work in the morning (Monday morning).  “We retire at 1am”... luckily the wind arrived at midnight, the kite went up and we sailed on, claimed monohull line honours and had rum for breakfast.

10 hours ago, RushMan said:

We held discussions on board OF about when the iron headsail was to be deployed so crew could make it to work in the morning (Monday morning).  “We retire at 1am”... luckily the wind arrived at midnight, the kite went up and we sailed on, claimed monohull line honours and had rum for breakfast.

I phoned the boss on Monday morning at 8am as we were still off whangarei to say I wouldn't be coming in that day.