Northern Triangle race

Looks like a Lot of new boats have made the starting line up for the SSANZ Northern Triangle Race.

Shimmer has cat 3 inspection next week amazing how many little things I needed to do to comply. Starting to get excited about racing!

47 minutes ago, Shimmer said:

Looks like a Lot of new boats have made the starting line up for the SSANZ Northern Triangle Race.

Shimmer has cat 3 inspection next week amazing how many little things I needed to do to comply. Starting to get excited about racing!

Wait list is almost emptied out, so it’s been re opened, lost a few boats due to Covid restrictions stopping some from getting into country or getting boats ready or just regulations. Plus lost a couple because of work or life commitments 

I don’t think this event will be fully subscribed come start day so if your keen get in touch 

On 3/12/2021 at 2:10 PM, Jon said:

Wait list is almost emptied out, so it’s been re opened, lost a few boats due to Covid restrictions stopping some from getting into country or getting boats ready or just regulations. Plus lost a couple because of work or life commitments 

I don’t think this event will be fully subscribed come start day so if your keen get in touch 

Cheers, Jon. Great to see such a good turnout. We'll try our damndest to get back on board:) AJ

49 at present out of possible 50

Saving a spot for a Australian skipper and New Caledonian boat and crew, but not likely to get into the country.

So if you’ve ever thought one day you’d like to have a go at a longer shorthanded race, now’s you’re chance.

Our understanding is yes

We may need to watch numbers at briefing, stopovers and Prize givings

Fortunately we are at 43 entries so with race management we will be right on or just under 100 people

Biggest worry would be the reintroduction of regional boarders, no talk of this however so fingers crossed.

if we can sail but not across boarders then we will still run the event within the Akl boundaries in some form, is the backup plan anyhow.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Shimmer said:

Thanks Jon that’s great news. Sorry to hear so many boats have had to drop out. Sure are challenging times.

any idea when the confirmed entries and their handi caps will be updated on the SSANZ site?

Soon, another week as we are just finalising SI’s

Poulito has been told they can enter the country on a sports exemption so are in the process of applying 

Your end of the fleet is mostly unchanged

Sadly got the mail last night that this adventure is off, in its place a 30 odd mile day race and a 300 odd mile the next day starting and finishing all at Westhaven , not really the same to us. (We were prepared to stay on board for the duration).

I understand why the organisers were worried with the prospect of "support crew" and other hangers on heading to the various ports.

yeah not quite the same, but i do understand how hard it was for SSANZ,  talking to one of the committee member i got the feeling most boats were travelling with support crew and i was one of the few planning on taking all the spares i need and not planning touching land until i returned.  I am pretty sure my wife was going to be happy to see the back of me for a week.

Not sure how one arranges a support crew, maybe that is where the mistress comes in!.  Just happy they will give us a berth at Westhaven so i dont have to travel from pine harbour twice

Yes I bet we are all a bit sad that it won’t be the full course, I was really looking forward to the arrivals in Mounganui and Tauranga, however I recon SSANZ has done a really good job of following a complex situation and coming up with a compromise that should still allow us all to do a decent week of coastal racing. (And potentially qualify for RNI 2023.)

In the past two years almost all the really good events I have been interested in have either been reduced in size, postponed or cancelled.

thanks heaps SSANZ for working so hard to make this one still happen

Shimmer will be there on the start line.

out of interest what was the thinking behind having the day race for the first leg?

1 hour ago, Shimmer said:

out of interest what was the thinking behind having the day race for the first leg?

It’s a French thing, lots of the big shorthanded events there have a prologue 

Thinking is a short race will keep turnaround time to a minimum as fleet will be closer so minimising chances of sailors getting infected between legs

Plus a one off race wasn’t what we originally planned ( I know 2 races isn’t 3 but it’s better than 1 )

If we’ve been too conservative then we apologise but our understanding is this can happen and we want to give everyone enough time to prepare.

Working on finalising courses at the moment, high probability that they will be somewhat triangular in shape 

• Like 2

Do we know the courses yet?

Good to see that they have one month to complete the race.  That will help if the wind dies. They have all probably booked at least a week off work anyway.

19.2. In order to qualify as a finisher, a yacht must finish the race no later than noon on Sunday 27 February March 2022. This may be extended by the race committee if there are any major delays during the race

Doesn't matter how many times the committee members proof read something, someone finds a mistake straight away.  Very funny. I assure you we all went to school the day they were doing reading and writing.  :)

• Haha 1