Regulator.....a long shot

This might be a long shot - but does anyone have a Balmar MC-614 regulator I could borrow for a day?

I am trying to find out why my MC-614 is generating noise on my sonar, and want to rule out a faulty unit.

A left field idea - you can make a temporary test rig by using a 12V light bulb.

Find a small one around 6 watts or so with a holder, solder a reasonable length of wire to each end. Connect this to a 12V source and to the field terminal on the alternator, of course after unplugging the lead. Check the alternator to see if it needs a separate 12V supply to excite the windings.

This will put a bit of a load on the alternator so you can at least get an idea if it is something other than the Regulator. You can of course just direct jump a 12V supply to the field terminal which will make the alternator immediately go to full load.

The German guy on the cat Fallado had his regulator fail and made up a temp one like this with 4 light bulbs and switch for each so he could vary the field current 

Thanks - but I don't think that is what is going to help. 

I am trying to isolate where a noisy signal is coming from - its do with the alternator regulator and I think its either EMI or noisy 12v output from the switch mode side of the regulator.