Advice needed on Manecraft dripless Shaft seals

Hi All, I have a manecraft dripless Shaft seal  which drips. It tends to start dropping after 10-15 min of use. I am not sure if I am over pressurising it or the seal face is worn/ damaged or  the stuffing box is letting too much water for it to handle. It does not leak when yacht is moored 

Any advice much appreciated 

how old is the seal and how old is your engine installation? The faces do not last for ever and on an older installation the mounts can compress ever so slightly throwing un even pressure on the seal if the alignment has not been checked for a long time.

If you want to do an in water inspection hop over the side armed with some blue tack or plasticine to seal around the shaft, then you can pull the seal back to have a look at it

• Like 2
On 29/04/2021 at 8:17 PM, marinheiro said:

how old is the seal and how old is your engine installation? The faces do not last for ever and on an older installation the mounts can compress ever so slightly throwing un even pressure on the seal if the alignment has not been checked for a long time.

If you want to do an in water inspection hop over the side armed with some blue tack or plasticine to seal around the shaft, then you can pull the seal back to have a look at it

Thanks for the feedback. The engine is original, from 1978, but not sure about the shaft seal. I will look into the alignment .

On 30/04/2021 at 8:58 AM, waikiore said:

Manecraft seals are dated and meant to be changed after 5 years -(which seems like 5 minutes to kiwis) If not leaking when static does it have a water feed ? and if so it may need reducing.

Thanks for the feedback. It does have a water feed which I have reduced , but maybe a touch more is warranted