Rigging

Had a new mast stepped 6 months ago.  Was out for a fish and sail a couple of weeks ago when the leward stay clevis pin ?  holding the bottle screw to the chainplate, decided the bottom of the ocean was a better place to be.   No idea what happened to the split pin, just gone.   Fortunately I had a spare pin to use.   

Quite a fright really when you see the stay swinging in the breeze, unattached at the base.

Couple of things here.... other than being pissed off at the riggers.  1.  Is split pins better, or ss mousing wire that goes through the stay end, and right around the turnbuckle / bottle screw?

2. When i replaced it, there is likely to be some twisting tension on the stay when I tightened it.  This would be in the direction of tightening the wires on the stay.  Should I be concerned about this, and take it off again and redo, making sure the turn buckle doesn't twist the stay while tightening?

49 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

The ferule on the stay should have a small flat spot to take a crescent

Yup.  See that now, but realised too late.   So the idea is to not let the stay turn while tightening.

Undo it and reset, holding the stay as DP says above.  Is it a cap shroud,  intermediate, or lower?

Regular rig checks, looking for these issues are important, no matter who put the rig in....

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Undo it and reset, holding the stay as DP says above.  Is it a cap shroud,  intermediate, or lower?

Regular rig checks, looking for these issues are important, no matter who put the rig in....

From the cross trees.  Yep, thought I'd better do it right.

1 hour ago, SanFran said:

From the cross trees.  Yep, thought I'd better do it right.

San Fran, cross trees?

Do you mean spreaders? the statement doesn't make things clear,  where does the wire start and where does it end?

You mention chainplates so we are talking a cap shroud, an intermediate  a lower.......?

And yes I agree with IT, it  doesn't matter if the worlds best rigger put it in, its your job to make sure its done right coz the rigger ain't gonna be around when the sh*t hits the fan.

The only way you are going to know if the split pin is properly installed is to do some study or talk with a rigger,  some riggers are helpful others have not got enough time.

You are lucky it was a wire didn't have a sail set on it, then things get really interesting.

Sorry if I come across grumpy but many people that just assume a rig will just stand up without understanding why.

Insurers have a big out if you aren't taking care- most of us don't have a new rigs worth of cash laying around either.

It does help to learn the difference between an eye jaw toggle, and a double jaw toggle and what to look for if a swage is about to fail.

Many old boats have sheaves designed for wire halyards,  a rope sheave has a different profile U vs V  and won't chew up a nice new sophisticated racing braid halyard so fast.

There is much to learn but it can save you some serious dollars too. Look after the boat and the boat will look after you.