inner wave, like a storm microburst

Officials said the density of waters off the coast of Bali and in the nearby Lombok Strait likely triggered a "massive moment" of force, with enough downward momentum to suck the submarine downwards within moments, according to Nikkei Asia.

LVK3PXDA5AHCI5DRMATUMUX2QY.jpg

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/internal-wave-frightening-thing-that-sunk-indonesian-submarine/C4JILCXH57M7YIDM23PVREZJYI/

What a load of bollocks. Classic Herald click bait.

This detail far more likely points to the cause, although it is very convienent for the Indo govt to point to some force of nature. Take a 43 year old steel sub, purchased off the Germans, make it dive deeper than it was designed to, well after the end of its design life....

The vessel was first built in 1978 and had its last refit in 2012, when its depth was increased to 250m.

I suggest there was an explosion. The sub is lying in three pieces. Implosion would not likely do that. They tend to crack and water violently and almost instantly fills the void. There may be hull deformations in places, but they don't suck in like an empty tank under vacuum does. Early on it was said they were undergoing Torpeedo firing tests and I would imagine one has detonated inside the tube or even inside the Vessel. Which has happened in the past.
I really can't see water falling fast enough to overcome a Submarine surley. But that is just my opinion. Anyone have any knowledge of this. How fast can a water column fall?

6 minutes ago, wheels said:

I suggest there was an explosion. The sub is lying in three pieces. Implosion would not likely do that. They tend to crack and water violently and almost instantly fills the void. There may be hull deformations in places, but they don't suck in like an empty tank under vacuum does. Early on it was said they were undergoing Torpeedo firing tests and I would imagine one has detonated inside the tube or even inside the Vessel. Which has happened in the past.
I really can't see water falling fast enough to overcome a Submarine surley. But that is just my opinion. Anyone have any knowledge of this. How fast can a water column fall?

I agree wheels, in that if you line up all of the likely reasons this sub went down, its highly unlikely to be an act of nature (inner wave). But it is very easy for the govt / indo navy to distract from what actually happened with some spurious reasons. This was a very old sub. There were reports of issues following its refit 9 years ago, where a torpedo did miss fire, killing 3. That, and during the refit they modified it to go deeper than it had been designed for. Looks like a basic cover up, all in the national interests of course.