DST 800 Airmar transducer firmware

I have a DST 800 NMEA 2000  the depth part works but quite poorly particularly at shallowe depths. It used to work well. I have heard that the firmware can be reloaded and is available on the net. Does anyone know of anybody doing this in N.Z. ?

I am  underwhelmed with the performance of these transducers this is a repacement for the first which failed completely after only a year or so.

That would be me. Or you, if you have an nmea2000 mfd that can connect to internet. If so, just run a check for updates ....

If not not, it has to be done manually from a pc.

If the temp sensor on the unit no longer works or reads high, not worth updating,  replace it. The early dst800's were common failures. Later are ok, and 810s are ok.  

I've just binned one, have ordered a DST810 for replacement, hopefully these last longer..

I too am pretty disappointed but there isn't a lot of choice in the market for similar transducers.

I sent my poorly performing DST 800 transducer back as it was less than a year old, seller had it tested and said it was OK so I have it back still underwelming performance. 

Wondering what my next step will be, Airmar seem to have the market tied up. Must be a better way, too much money! for a dst810

Send it to me if you wish. I can update to the latest firmware.

Very shallow depths, especially in soft bottoms (like silt in many marinas) are problematic. Look for bad packets on the NMEA2000 for data problems.

How and where is the unit installed? I've seen them reading the front of a new T keel, or the side of a jandal keel, or on so much of an angle they are not reading depth unless the rail is under! Or on a hull where there are continuous bubbles going past. Install according to the instructions is required. But the early ones did give lots of issues.

Generally, a good one works pretty well....