First boat advice ... again

Thanks, I have contacted Josh.

We were sailing with reefed main sail for the first time last weekend. We had an issue with luff reefing cringle. When we lowered the mainsail to put in a reef our cringle was still too far away from the cringle horn and we couldn't lower the sail any more. I had to tie an extra line to luff cringle to attach it to the horn then. The sail was pretty baggy after that. It worked but was suboptimal. I don't have any photo at the moment but though I will ask anyway. Does this mean our boom is too low and should be higher?

I couldnt lower the sail more because the rail (or whatever is the correct name) in which luff slides along the mast terminates in some distance from boom and does not go all the way down to the boom.

What BP suggested will probably work but tack and clew will be “fixed” at different height. I thought that was the main problem but I might be missing something. Will have a proper look on the weekend and take some pictures.

14 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

That is normal.  Get two ss rings too big to pass through the  cringle. Sew them to either end of a piece of webbing that passes through tge cringle.

One ring goes over the bulls horn, the other jams in the cringle.

This is the way to go but instead of sewing a webbing between the rings use a length of single braid dyneema and just lash them, you can adjust the length and fit it in place. Much easier than dropping slugs out and keeps main tidy.

4 hours ago, Black Panther said:

That is normal.  Get two ss rings too big to pass through the  cringle. Sew them to either end of a piece of webbing that passes through tge cringle.

One ring goes over the bulls horn, the other jams in the cringle.

A rope shackle works too.

Finally could go sailing after the lockdown and yes, it was an easy fix. 

Another stupid question. Is it a good idea to climb up the mast when the boat is in the water? I mean the boat is not big and it has only lifting keel… (stratus 747 with lifting keel) I dont want to end up in the water or worse in neighbour‘s boat…

Thanks.

9 hours ago, MartinS said:

Another stupid question. Is it a good idea to climb up the mast when the boat is in the water? I mean the boat is not big and it has only lifting keel… (stratus 747 with lifting keel) I dont want to end up in the water or worse in neighbour‘s boat…

Thanks.

Depends what you ate for dinner. This is where children can actually be useful.

10 hours ago, MartinS said:

Thanks.

Yep should be no problems to go up the mast, just preferably when it's not super windy. Ooopps it's Wellington in springtime ... so just pick your day! 

11 hours ago, MartinS said:

Thanks.

or you could wind the keel fully up and pull the mast down to you....

Been done many times for righting tests