Some ugly weather on its way

4 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

My Chinese one is on it's second winter of near continuous running. 

I thought you got an LF Bros one? what brand did you get?

13 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Are they not chinese?

They were retailed out of Chch, with someone who spoke English that you could phone during NZ buisness hours, so no - not my definition of Chinese. There are a gazzilion options for $250 - $300 on Alibaba etc that are clearly 'Chinese' (in the derogatory sense). Possibly chinese in comparison to Eberspacher, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are assembled in China now as well. Note, the good ones have the Japanese glow plugs (Kyocera)... Your one has a jap glow plug ;-) 

I think LF Bros have been bought out by HeatPort (who I think bought out HeaterX also). They are currently out of stock, but just got an email saying they expect stock in 2 weeks.

LF Bros have a Czech website now, but they wont ship to NZ, grrr. Been checking out the Russian one merinheiro mentioned. Freight is a bit much. I might end up getting a Heatport one.

15 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Just happened to have the spare glow plug i just bought sitting on the chart table. Clearly labeled kyocera so I guess that's good.

Yes bought it from lfbros now heatport.

Installed a heatport/heaterX 2KW in the end bedroom of our house a month ago …it’s been running every night since with no issues . And the last 4 nights we have had atrocious weather ! .

At nearly 250m above sea level and on an exposed east facing ridge we really get snotted . Heater is “semi outside “ under verandah roof and handled 50 knot gusts and damp mist no problem .

the only installation issue I had was sorting a 12v supply from 240V . after several failed attempts with various adaptors I bought a LED driver with adjustable voltage , Driver is 11-14V DC and 10 Amps . 

after several attempts starting at 12 volts and working up I finally got the heater to fire up at 13.5 volts , so they need a fair whack to get started but from what I can gather they draw bugger all once running .

I like the idea of a small woodburner like the Dickinson Newport -but you require very small wood, maybe the Sigma 100 diesel burner would be better and you can still watch a comforting flame. 

On 9/06/2021 at 11:55 AM, waikiore said:

I like the idea of a small woodburner like the Dickinson Newport -but you require very small wood, maybe the Sigma 100 diesel burner would be better and you can still watch a comforting flame. 

This weekend saw the first use in anger of our Cubic Mini.  Loved it although I needed to work out a way to prevent back-drafts (it was gusting over 50...).  Once I had that in place, awesome!

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

1 hour ago, Dtwo said:

This weekend saw the first use in anger of our Cubic Mini.  Loved it although I needed to work out a way to prevent back-drafts (it was gusting over 50...).  Once I had that in place, awesome!

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

Hey Dtwo, what fuel are you using?  I am contemplating a Cubic Mini or similar, but I want it to be able to burn briquettes, as they will be easier to store in my 8M boat compared to wood.

Cheers

On 7/06/2021 at 2:07 PM, marinheiro said:

if you read this as well, https://www.denaraumarina.com/covid-19/ it would appear a boat clearing into Denerau is restricted to Viti Levu, and maybe you cannot even go shopping in Lautoka. Agree with various comments that Fiji is not the place to be this year, in particular out of respect for the locals who if the virus gets away on them are going to have their hands full.

This is the cat I was asking Boo Boo about, looks like they have just pulled out of Minerva heading south. 

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Curiosity

The boat has alot of issues, they want a very settled passage south..

Looks like they should be in in a matter of hours, pretty smooth passage?

Guess they'll be straight to quarantine and the next episode will tell how the passage went.

Are you the agent helping them out MH?

21 minutes ago, muzled said:

Looks like they should be in in a matter of hours, pretty smooth passage?

Guess they'll be straight to quarantine and the next episode will tell how the passage went.

Are you the agent helping them out MH?

Yes, they have had a smooth passage, alot better than everyone had going north in 2019!

Not an agent, just an interested observer (living vicariously?), on the one hand wishing I was doing the trip but on the other hand agree with some here, even BP (OMG!) that this year is not a good time to go .

Fusio and Caro Vita got in Tuesday night/Wed morning at Denerau and Savusavu respectively, with the rest of the group that left Tues 1 June, close behind on Wednesday. You can see Sula II's comment here re quarantine

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SulaII?fbclid=IwAR3yztFnELk98ighgflL1XhzFPT0Yh5uNOG9I-aXlnVZGHRgraZnEiczQAk

On 10/06/2021 at 9:01 PM, Zozza said:

Hey Dtwo, what fuel are you using?  I am contemplating a Cubic Mini or similar, but I want it to be able to burn briquettes, as they will be easier to store in my 8M boat compared to wood.

Cheers

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/blogs/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-starting-a-fire-selecting-the-proper-wood-to-burn?_pos=9&_sid=22f81a0ed&_ss=r

Not sure if "briquettes" are the same as "pressed logs"?

1 hour ago, Dtwo said:

I reckon briquettes would work fine .  Getting the buggers going would be the issue . A charcoal chimney gets them honking quickly but tipping them from the chimney into a micro burner on a small boat would take some skill ! 

9 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

She's a colourful night tonight. Blowing dogs off chains over here

Can't imagine what it's like in NOLA. A few clips circulating that make me wonder how any man made structure can survive it.

B28CDCC8-F084-47F9-B022-082400AE4AA0.png

48 kts at Tiri, 46 at Channel Is 0840