Some ugly weather on its way

BTW all those panels around the car used to be over by the shed in other pic.

Yup cleanup job morrow under covid protocols of course.

Feel sorry for Treescape company though and others around the place ....saw about ten private cars up to windows in water.

utes.JPG

• Downvote 1
11 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Daughter reports someone windsurfing in the carpark of the leisure centre this afternoon. 

Was the carpark flooded? Damn, I'm gagging to go for a windsurf... 

Leisure centre was built on a swamp.

There has been some wing-surfers using skateboards at the beach carpark across the road (football club). This wind will be driving them nuts. Just get a skateboard / longboard / cruiser, and get going with a regular wing. Big risk is touching a tip down on the asphalt and stuffing the fabric. Given how desperate people are getting, I don't think they care if they damage the gear. Good wind, large empty carpark and some boredom....

8 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

So what's the answer for Kumeu?  Can the river and drainage be improved to stop the flooding? Or do all buildings need to be raised up?  Or does everyone move away?

Most areas that flooded are in the flood plains, and that is known. Some areas that flooded (based on what I saw in the news) are not formally in the flood plain. This makes me think the intensity was over 1:100 yrs. 201 mm in 14 hrs.

Council did spend moon beams on flood mitigation along the back of the main street. So basically there is not much more you can do. The river flows out towards Helensville and the Kaipara, and has a very large catchment area. As you know, it is basically dead flat from Kumeu to Helensville. About the only way you could deal with it is do what Chch did and build massive flood basins. You need a lot of land for those though.

There are now planning controls to prevent building within these areas. The irony that us bitching about building and resource consents, when sometimes they have value. The majority of areas that got deep flooding are commercial / industrial, i.e. its not good land and never had been.

Dare I say it, but these kinds of weather events are going to become more common. You can spend moon beams on flood control in one place, and the next downpour will happen 10 km away, where you haven't spent the money. Napier got nailed the same way, very intense and localised...

Make like Noah, buy a house on a hill.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Fish said:

Was the carpark flooded? Damn, I'm gagging to go for a windsurf... 

Leisure centre was built on a swamp.

There has been some wing-surfers using skateboards at the beach carpark across the road (football club). This wind will be driving them nuts. Just get a skateboard / longboard / cruiser, and get going with a regular wing. Big risk is touching a tip down on the asphalt and stuffing the fabric. Given how desperate people are getting, I don't think they care if they damage the gear. Good wind, large empty carpark and some boredom....

Mast base on a longboard …plug your windsurfer rig in and go …max 5-8 knots though ,  apparent wind is a scary thing when you start running out of car park/reservoir and are doing 30kmh 

3 hours ago, 44forty said:

Mast base on a longboard …plug your windsurfer rig in and go …max 5-8 knots though ,  apparent wind is a scary thing when you start running out of car park/reservoir and are doing 30kmh 

Damn 44forty, you've given me an idea that will piss my missus off. She keeps on saying I'm not allowed any more toys...

I've been interested in getting one of these Mountain Boards for a while. Good for the beach at low tide, so more room than a carpark. Will work fine for a carpark too. Not as fast as nylon wheels on asphalt, but I can just put a bigger rig on if I want to go faster.

I've got an old 4.5 training rig I'd be perfectly happy to trash land-wind-surfing...

Major work distraction for the afternoon, hmmm

Assault Boardriding Centre | MBS Core 94 Mountainboard, Wing

Tried it when getting into kitesurfing, the sand, grass, concrete is a lot harder than water. Sold the board and kept kitesurfing for may years.

I recommend blokart or buggy for solid ground. Still sh*t loads of fun but doesn't hurt as much.

Missus walked in on me watching videos of Mountain Boarding ... "how much is one of those going to cost?!?..." Conversation didn't go well.

Turns out the Mt Boards are sold out across NZ, anyone would think all the kiters and wingers got in quick to keep themselves active over lockdown. Next shipment arriving in Lyttleton on the 13th Sept. With any luck we will be at L3 on the 14th and can go for an actual windsurf.

BOIGuy, yes, I take your point. This is mainly for amusement during lockdown, although we have a nice sloping grass reserve infront of the house and I could use one as an actual Mt Board. I know the wingers are reluctant to try it, incase the touch a wingtip down and wreck the fabric. Same could be said for your elbow or arse I guess.

39 minutes ago, Fish said:

Damn 44forty, you've given me an idea that will piss my missus off. She keeps on saying I'm not allowed any more toys...

I've been interested in getting one of these Mountain Boards for a while. Good for the beach at low tide, so more room than a carpark. Will work fine for a carpark too. Not as fast as nylon wheels on asphalt, but I can just put a bigger rig on if I want to go faster.

I've got an old 4.5 training rig I'd be perfectly happy to trash land-wind-surfing...

Major work distraction for the afternoon, hmmm

Assault Boardriding Centre | MBS Core 94 Mountainboard, Wing

I used to use a 4.2 heavy air rig on a longboard cause you can’t lean into at all as the wheels just let go . It hurts landing flat on your back on concrete .

yeah a mountain board would go well on the beach for sure and also allow you to lean a bit without letting go .

it was a thing years ago I remember seeing a few at muriwai , Piha and orewa 

• Upvote 1

Me and a couple of mates have blokarts. Soo much fun!

Pretty easy to get 50-60kph out of them. Any faster is pretty scary. 

I can post here next time we head out if anyone wants to have a go. 

1 hour ago, B00B00 said:

Me and a couple of mates have blokarts. Soo much fun!

Pretty easy to get 50-60kph out of them. Any faster is pretty scary. 

I can post here next time we head out if anyone wants to have a go. 

Caught a glimpse of the nationals in bulls ? Last year when we were driving down to get the boat from Wellington . Looked bloody cool , big fleet too if you can call it that ?