Brass Tacks

as an ex owner (Rawhide) and ex Chairman of the association, it is great to see younger owners getting these boats back in top condition, Great boats and great one design,  the 1020 association is a wealth of knowledge, there are many owners who have had there boats for 30+ years.  Joining only cost $45 a year and gets access to plenty of technical info on the website

You certainly wont regret buying a 1020 over there similar sized and aged boats

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

20210505_173634.jpg

20210505_170759.jpg

20210505_163333.jpg

Is that the rudder tube? What have you done with it? We popped a new synthetic one into Charlatan, to re-line the copper tube that was showing corrosion.

It's the original glass Fibre tube. It has a Grey (possibly high pressure drain pvc) inner tube that has recesses machined in it for the bronze bushes. The whole grey inner tube was spinning inside the glass Fibre one as when last installed neither of the locking bolts/pins appear to have been wound in. So it was like a c@ck in a sock! We redressed the rudder shaft, honed the bushes then epoxied them into the inner tube, repositioning them on the rudder shaft while it all set to keep alignment true.

Will reinstall the whole lot back in the boat aligned with shims and locked in position.

11 hours ago, Young Entertainer said:

as an ex owner (Rawhide) and ex Chairman of the association, it is great to see younger owners getting these boats back in top condition, Great boats and great one design,  the 1020 association is a wealth of knowledge, there are many owners who have had there boats for 30+ years.  Joining only cost $45 a year and gets access to plenty of technical info on the website

You certainly wont regret buying a 1020 over there similar sized and aged boats

At 48 I'm flattered to be referred to as 'younger!

The boat has an association sticker on transom and I have a spare in the care package but yes I will join up.

I'd be keen to learn any history on boat. Past owner had it 19 years apparently and before then it was owned by Warren Vaudrey  (think Vaudrey and Miller)

We've just taken it back to Gel coat and it's been done at least once before, I'd say before most recent owners custody.

Can't seem to find any race history

Dont think you will find race history on it in the last 19 years,  it was one of the "Lost" boats in the association i think in that we know it existed but not the owners details as they were not members.  of the 151 boats built about 70 are members and the rest they used to try and keep track of so they could approach new owners.  the marina network is a handy resource for doing this.  But there are plenty of members who will know it from the early days.  many of the members would be 60+ with a number in there 70's and 80s so at 48 your a spring chicken,  but that has been changing as boats get moved on to the next set of owners

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

I'd be keen to learn any history on boat.

A small but interesting piece of info, around 3 or 4 years ago the owner of brass tacks approached Richmond yacht club members looking for a partnership arrangement similar to what young entertainer recently suggested on this forum (share the running costs for use) which was taken up by a group of young Russian friends who came to a few of the club beach bbqs etc. They seemed very enthusiastic and had joined the club via the Friday night learn to sail programme. I remember at one of the club bbqs they flipped their dinghy as they were pretty new at it all. 

• Upvote 1
On 5/06/2021 at 9:01 AM, John B said:

Two mates moved out of Davidson 28s and built Brass Tacks and Navaho,

Aha, there is the connection. Navaho required the chainplate strengthened, so Brass Tacks may require the same.

doubt it needs the chain plates strengthened, probably just needed the packer replaced on the port side, if it had a leak and got wet is was quite common for the ply to become weak and then the bolts moved a bit.  Simple 10min job to replace with a new bit 10mm thick.  Mainly caused by the fact that the bulk head port to starboard is not quite square from the mould.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

That's awesome.  She was on our pier at Westhaven, what a spectacular  improvement.

Took a lot of elbow grease!

To get rid of the original stripes and signage took ages, 120g and 240g dry sand on orbital, then 400 and 800 wet with a D.A just to get the level down to the eroded surface of the topsides.

Followed by 1500g wet before machine cut and polish 😅

• Upvote 1