Looking for a heat exchanger for Volvo Penta

Wolf, thanks. I just bought a new one (not the gold-plated Volvo product but an after-market job). My mechanic was not sanguine about a used part being much better than the one he took off.  But good to know about your old motor ,... we seem to be running into these issues more and more often. 

regards 

MS

What is wrong with it? I had Volvo tell me I needed a 5k new heat exchanger on an old 2003 and my cousin who works on stock cars braised up the holes for under $100 and Motor still going strong 8 years later

• Like 1

I have only seen pictures (I'm currently in Toronto) but my mechanic says it's rather "porous" and should be replaced. Doing the sort of repair you mentioned was his first thought, when we first discussed its condition several months ago. Then he got the piece off and looked at it. Ooops.

The Volvo part now retails for more than $2,700 with another couple of hundred for a support bracket. But I found a replacement in the US for $755 US including shipping (and a bracket). Still a hunk of cash but better than it could have been. It's beginning to look as if we will sell the boat and move up a size in the next year or so, so I'd like to have the motor in as good shape as possible for a new owner.

any good heat exchanger/radiator shop should be able to repair the core, as long as the case is OK. Even a new core can be made.... 

If the case is stuffed, an off the shelf heat exchanger of similar capacity could be used instead of the VP one, and it could be mounted on or off the motor.

Yes, IT, that was the original thought a couple of years ago when my mechanic first noticed that the device was kind of tatty: Take it to a shop and refurbish it, for relatively little money. The work did not seem urgent and we put it on the list of Things To Do Down The Line.

I'm out of the country for the foreseeable future (presumably the border will re-open someday), so this fall seemed a good time. So he took it off and cleaned it up a bit. What he found changed his mind and at this distance I have to trust his judgment. 

regards

MS