Facebook Page / Group

Hi guys,

I have sent the admins of this site a message to see if i could post this. This was a few days ago and they have not come back to me so i will take that as all good.

Right I have started a Facebook group called "Sailboat Reno s New Zealand" 

I did this so people like me that have a project boat can come and swap / chat / bounce ideas of each other.  It will give the user a easy way to access info on there phone rather having to sit down on a PC/Laptop and look for info.

This is not to take away from this awesome website as i believe both can work side by side. So come on in and hit the join /follow button and i look forward to see you there.

Cheers guys. Have a safe long weekend

Steve 

The only negative I find with having a FB page like that, Is that they are a pain in the A to use. That's what I find anyway. I look after the Hartley Ferro Cement Assoc page. I find it nearly as slow as paint drying. OK, so I am on copper, but it's still slower by far than any other site I visit. I find it difficult to use and navigate and do any sort of Admin on. Well.....I am nearly 60, so not of the right generation perhaps.
        But I do have to ask, why a FB page when you can do the same right here and much easier. The Forum is aleady created. People already ask questions and many answer them.
I wish the Ferro folk would use the dedicated forum here. Mind you, it seems the only questions regularly posed are, "who insures Ferro".
The most interesting message I have had for a very long time, came in just last week. A Woman in her 60's trying to build a Home using Ferrocement process and wondering why se was getting some leaks. Turns out she is living in some way out there remote area of Oz and has built this tunnel house looking thing. I suspect it is likely not on land she owns and has no permits etc etc. She does a bit as she can afford and the leaks are coming from the joints between where she has finished and started again later. Oh dear. And I am wondering if there is really a need for the Facebook page anymore.

• Upvote 1

FB has reach.  There would be very few people who don't have a FB account.  People are used to using it - there are no unknown quirks and you move from your "sailing stuff for sale" marketplace through your "dragqueen makeup tips" group to your personal page.  This gives FB depth, in as much as any online presence has depth.  And all the tie you get dopamine hits from the feedback you receive

These things make make FB grabby and difficult to escape from. 

If you want quality conversation and technical advice though, a forum beats FB hands down.  Most of the time.

1 hour ago, aardvarkash10 said:

FB has reach. 

Not so sure on that. It does only to "firends" but not to general public, unless someone specifically searches for a relevant page, no differently than they would googling for a page topic. For instance, no one would know about Crew unless they searched for the word Crew or a word (perhaps "sailing" for instance) in their search is tagged to the Crew page. Otherwise, no one knows a particular page exists.
Or am I even worse at this interwebing thing than I think I am???😀

I haven't been on here in a couple of months, but it seems all the class forums have disappeared?

Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I use FB all the time, I find it easy to navigate, and it makes suggestions relevant to your interests. Usually.

32 minutes ago, madyottie said:

but it seems all the class forums have disappeared?

Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I

Yep... I had the same question about where the 8.5 Multi page went... wrote the Administrator and have not heard anything back?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, madyottie said:

Well that was insightful.

2 hours ago, madyottie said:

I use FB all the time, I find it easy to navigate, and it makes suggestions relevant to your interests. Usually.

I was referring to this bit.  You made my earlier point about FB's advantages real.

If you hold your phone in your left hand and scroll through Facebook with your left thumb you will inadvertently hit the like button approximately every 15s, thus liking weird random sh*t in which you have no interest.  Facebook then sends more weird random  sh*t you aren't interested in,  increasing the probability you will like more weird random sh*t you aren't interested in further exacerbating the problem. 

• Haha 1

I spent a huge amount of time initially in getting rid of FB suggestions and calling them spam or not interested or something. I think FB now has no clue what to send me because I don't get advertising or suggestions hardly at all. Which is the way I prefer it. For me, FB was just a way to keep in touch with close friends and I have always wanted to keep it that way. I simply do not have time to go looking at the suggestions it offers me.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for those who have come over to join the FB page.  

I hear you all about the devil that is FB but as some has mentioned its just a place where you can ask a question on the fly and hopefully get an answer pretty quickly.

Spent sometime on Soulmate this weekend before the weather turned to crap. Had my boy sanding the hull back and i was opening up some osmosis blisters. Thank god not many. then took out the old head .. wow that was fun !!!

Cheers guys

Steve