Stepping Out, Spencer Saraband, 2389

On 25/02/2022 at 11:08 AM, aardvarkash10 said:

Fair point w44vi.  The filter was sufficiently clear to allow a steady flow to the original pump inlet when it was disconnected, and it really pi$$e$ out now with the electrics!

just a thought and it may have already been mentioned, Fuel tank air vent, may be blocked, mason bees do a very good job!  that is in the hose / pipe and almost invisible. Many small motors have had there exhausts glued up between startups.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

just a thought and it may have already been mentioned, Fuel tank air vent, may be blocked, mason bees do a very good job!  that is in the hose / pipe and almost invisible. Many small motors have had there exhausts glued up between startups.

Thanks Steve - I will check that out.  We had a similar issue this weekend, just as we were coming back in.  Went to Kawau Saturday, Back to Rakino Sunday, Ponui Monday, all without problem.  On approach to the Clevedon River this morning at 2,200rpm a slow decrease in engine speed and, once in neutral the engine wound down and stopped.

Air in the fuel line.  Once it was bled, I did a quick and dirty flow test - half a litre in about 30 seconds from the fuel pump, no obvious air, fuel was clear and not cloudy, no moisture in it, no obvious signs of diesel bug.  I hooked it all back up, bled it again because - nervous - and we idled up the river for 35 minutes at a steady 1350rpm, no issues.

I have a feeling that the air may be coming from the diesel heater.  I only twigged to it when I was fossicking in the dank rear corner of the engine bay.  The feed for the heater is taken from the same main filter/separator as the engine.  Its possible that the pump has sucked fuel from the heater line and then sucked air.  I'm going to disconnect the heater fuel line and block it, then try again.

And look for insect nests at the same time.

On 19/12/2021 at 3:31 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

Fitting up the TP32 tiller pilot, and I found the swan-neck tiller on SO is waaaay too low at the required mounting point.  Something needed to be fabricated to lift the mounting pin about 100mm.

I flirted with making a nice timber riser, but ultimately it was a lot of faffing around.  What about a stainless tube or similar though...  hmmmmn.

In the end the easiest was to buy a 316 150x12mm bolt and cut the head off, so I did that and started the drilling.  Except once I had done the pilot hole, I couldn't get the cutting speed slow enough so I kept galling the drill bits.

Right idea, wrong execution.

I tracked down a guy around the corner - trade qualified fitter who does home-jobs.  Dropped him a new bolt yesterday with a hand-drawn sketch, and picked this up this afternoon.  Then he almost apologised for charging me $10.  I gave him $20.

I've found my new go-to fabricator/engineer.

IMG_20211219_151402_1.jpg

IMG_20211219_151413_1.jpg

IMG_20211219_152645_1.jpg

So I take it your "modified bolt" is mounted vertically in the tiller to lift the pin 100mm? If so the autopilot will have massive leverage and I expect the "modified bolt" will either crack the tiller or get very sloppy very quickly...

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

So I take it your "modified bolt" is mounted vertically in the tiller to lift the pin 100mm? If so the autopilot will have massive leverage and I expect the "modified bolt" will either crack the tiller or get very sloppy very quickly...

Wouldn't have thought so.  Unless the rudder jams solid, there is not a lot of side load on the bolt given the depth of the bolt in the tiller (about 45mm).

Another little project going on is the adjustable sheet leads for the Genoa.

I posted in the tech area on the 3mm dyneema that will be the adjusting line for these.  It looks like I'll be able to run a 3:1 purchase through these low friction rings.  That will be controlled by a 2:1 purchase set up in normal blocks with cam cleats and 6mm braid.

The low friction rings are 50mm diameter, 10mm cross section and weigh 33g on our electronic kitchen scales.  Through AliExpress they landed on my doorstep for $6.70 each ( I got 6 of them).  They are rated to 22kn, and will take a far higher static load than our rig will ever put on them.

I'll post up pictures of it all rigged up once it's in place.  A sunny afternoons labour.

IMG_20220505_205712.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, SanFran said:

Great story.  I have a Spencer 32. First boat of substance.  Still having fun with her after 10 years.  

I've seen San Fran up the Tamaki.  I keep meaning to get in touch and come have a look at her.  If you are keen, message me and we can get together.  We are scheduled (loosely) to be on the hard at PYBC next month.

Absolutely.  Been a bit coolish lately but still keen to get out.   I'm on the haul out Crew at HMB, and planning to come out probably Oct or Nov for a week or so.  Otherwise, here comes summer

• Upvote 1

A while between drinks.  SO languished over winter - since late May - and so about 4 weeks ago we went to the mooring and found a new green colour scheme - not much else had deteriorated though.  

So the next weekend we took the waterblaster down to the jetty, tied up and spent a happy hour blowing all the moss off and generally tidying up before setting out for an overnight at the bottom end of Waiheke.  Wine, beer, fried food, sunsets, yada yada.

On the way back we had a blast - reaching in 15 rising 25 with a few firm gusts, one reef in the main, rails and then cabin windows underwater, big grins all around.  

While thrashing along we noticed the UV strip on the headsail was not as closely and firmly united with the sail as it should be, so a week later we pulled both the headsail and the main off (a first for us!) and dropped them to BG's for attention and advice.

Got them both back today along with some helpful advice and a reasonably reasonable bill (about 0.4 boat dollars) to service both sails including repairing the UV strip, resetting the bolt rope on the main and replacing a couple of rusty cringles.  Good for another 5 years at least they reckon.

On 5/05/2022 at 9:10 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

Another little project going on is the adjustable sheet leads for the Genoa.

I posted in the tech area on the 3mm dyneema that will be the adjusting line for these.  It looks like I'll be able to run a 3:1 purchase through these low friction rings.  That will be controlled by a 2:1 purchase set up in normal blocks with cam cleats and 6mm braid.

The low friction rings are 50mm diameter, 10mm cross section and weigh 33g on our electronic kitchen scales.  Through AliExpress they landed on my doorstep for $6.70 each ( I got 6 of them).  They are rated to 22kn, and will take a far higher static load than our rig will ever put on them.

I'll post up pictures of it all rigged up once it's in place.  A sunny afternoons labour.

IMG_20220505_205712.jpg

This also got done while we drank beer off Waiheke.  But I forgot the photos due to beer and wine.  I'll do them next time.

Now I have to climb the mast and do stuff at the top.  The fear is real.  Video WILL follow.

• Like 1

Long time, no posts.

We recently had a run of bad juju with dinghies.

The original was a 2.4m soft floor inflatable.  It died as inflatables do.

So we replaced it with a 2nd hand hard inflatable.  It too died the death of bleeding air leaks unidentifiable.

So, the weekend of Cyclone Hale, we bought a nice little ply dinghy in the rain.  As with cars, houses, and dogs bought in haste on a rainy day it was less than ideal.  The rot in the keel ran in both directions in the bottom sheet and half way to the gunwale at the stern.

IMG_20230218_151325.thumb.jpg.529b27daf9cff5b944d73d79396e6145.jpg

No wonder it was light.

So a couple of weekends ago we picked up this Ali dinghy.  It's a bit big at 3.1m, but the price was right at $68! It's belting was falling off and it had a small split below the waterline that had been "fixed" with builders bog.  The transom boards were rotten too.

Now, all fixed.  New kwila transom board so we can fit the outboard,

IMG_20230218_151338_1.thumb.jpg.cbca8f489664a793ab68d446ee3c8925.jpg

IMG_20230218_151331.thumb.jpg.a8407cdac0cee57f36232c19ca5e7ba9.jpg

19mm vinyl tube belting with garden hose slid inside it to reinforce it,  

IMG_20230218_151614_1.thumb.jpg.c4c77105606cd6d0b75acc73ec98f065.jpg

and aluminium over sika repair to address the split in the hull.

IMG_20230218_141726_1.thumb.jpg.cd8e15a5436682293206d6084161a0df.jpg

IMG_20230218_141722_1.thumb.jpg.145b0cbcdc985b1e7f64d7793877bfac.jpg

Crew.co.nz member terryg supplied a nice new set of retractable beach wheels that will get fitted tomorrow.

So now we have a dinghy that won't rot or go flat for just under $300 all up.

2 hours ago, Island Time said:

looks like one of the originals, may be 50 yrs old! Possibly a Parkercraft. Have you float tested? They can leak from the riveted seams - all of them! 

Dragged it half way across the gulf in two days.  Had minimal water in it, only visible ingress at the location we patched 

14 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Dragged it half way across the gulf in two days.  Had minimal water in it, only visible ingress at the location we patched 

Does it have the rubber bung in the sole?  I had one of those and it would pop out from hydraulic pressure when being towed. Something to watch. 

2 hours ago, Addem said:

Does it have the rubber bung in the sole?  I had one of those and it would pop out from hydraulic pressure when being towed. Something to watch. 

a reshaped champagne cork currently...

No, bung was in place.  Just ingress past the builder's bog.  We are going to do a ride up the Clevedon (Wairoa) River this afternoon by way of a test.  If its all good, I will report back.

If its still leaky, I'm not telling anyone.  Not even myself.