Lagoon 45 bulkhead issues

not sure if anyone been keeping up with this issue:

Facebook page for owners really needs to be checked if you own one or know some one who does. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/902269000568556/

There are three you tube channels with the problem. they’re hurricane damaged ones so won’t get help from the Company but it looks like a build/design issue.

Not sure it is fair to blame on build/design issues. For instance, the first Cat that lad bought was one of three out of several thousand, that still had the rigs standing. That was one of the reasons they chose the boat. The Hull was swiss cheese and that should have been the glaring obvious for Not choosing that boat. It had been hammered hard up against other Hulls or jetty or something.
These Boats have absolutely enourmous loads on the stays. This is not exact, but I am not far from the correct numbers when I say a 45ft'r has some 80 tonnes of loading on the main stays, which are trying to pull the two Hulls up into two. You cannot just glue the cracks back together. The Resin is not the strength. It is the glass in the resin that gives it the strength. Therefore, the crack needs to be cut out, glued really well and majorly built up with glass. Infact I think if it were me, I would be using Carbon.

Lagoons & more commonly Fontaine Pajot cats have a lot of issues around global structure, or lack of.

Looking from the aft cabin to the bow with only a couple of poorly designed & constructed bulkheads gives lovely flow, aesthetics etc, but is not conducive to holding a cat together.

Hull deck joins are another issue, very common in FP cats.

Have to agree there BK. 
This vid just released to show comparison to a Leopard speaks volumes about low build and design quality of the Lagoon. 

thinking about 80Tonne of load (if that’s the right number) primarily supported by a single sheet of ply is  astonishing. The beam structure of the Leopard seems more appropriate. 

Those Lagoon issues are totally unrelated to the hurricane damage. Everyone knows that including Lagoon. Which is why they are sh!t scared about the publicity from Parlay Revival’s channel and offering to help him.

On 11/06/2021 at 8:05 AM, wheels said:

Not sure it is fair to blame on build/design issues. For instance, the first Cat that lad bought was one of three out of several thousand, that still had the rigs standing. That was one of the reasons they chose the boat. The Hull was swiss cheese and that should have been the glaring obvious for Not choosing that boat. It had been hammered hard up against other Hulls or jetty or something.
These Boats have absolutely enourmous loads on the stays. This is not exact, but I am not far from the correct numbers when I say a 45ft'r has some 80 tonnes of loading on the main stays, which are trying to pull the two Hulls up into two. You cannot just glue the cracks back together. The Resin is not the strength. It is the glass in the resin that gives it the strength. Therefore, the crack needs to be cut out, glued really well and majorly built up with glass. Infact I think if it were me, I would be using Carbon.

I think the 80t load is perhaps a little high, as a bench mark 16mm 316 1/19 rigging wire, which is what these would use has a breaking load of ~25t.

For sure there are big loads to handle. The bulkhead is just one part of the structure, it is (well should be with proper bonding) acting as a web with the wing deck and top decks acting as the flanges. In the old days (before Mrs BK and friends got loose with high density foams, carbon etc) the typical main bulkhead detail from say Ron Given was a built up bulkhead with 12mm plywood each side of about a 40 x 40 frames with pvc foam filling in the gaps, all vacuum bagged together. 

What I am meaning is that the combined load of all stays around the hull trying to pull the boat into a Banana is 80T. For instance, the Americas cup mono's have some 70t of load trying to Banana the Hull. All that force pushing down on the mast and onto the Keel.
The 80T figure is what I remember the lad saying when he was first tensioning the rig up. I must say I was shocked at first and also shocked at the diameter of the wire used.

I think he might have had his numbers wrong. I made a quick calc using the approach found here https://smalltridesign.com/masts/Rigging-Mast-Loads.html and came up with a shroud load circa 10,000kg

Viewing the series of videos by Parlay and another guy fixing the same problem is reinforcing that these boats are just slapped together. Apart from lots of silicon, the European boat builders seem to love that brown bog  you see. Anyone thinking of taking a Bendy Boat offshore should watch these videos first.