The Cup is gone

3 minutes ago, Leftred said:

Indeed. I know it's a business and that there are no friends only cash etc, but I'd be fuming if I was the Labour Government. Considering the flak they took for the border exemptions and the cash pumped into the campaign, I'd have thought that there was almost an implied contract that a non-COVID Am Cup defence in Auckland would help pay back some of the promised economic benefit.

Plus I want to see that J boat regatta that was planned for this year's cup.

Yes it would have been spectacular to see some J-boats in action. Maybe we still will. This might be a tactic of brinkmanship by ETNZ / Dalton to 'scare' some form of local syndicate of corporates / philanthropists / lotto winners to top up the Govt offer to try to keep it here. I think that's an outside chance but still a chance. Dalton said as much.

But there's no such thing as an 'implied contract' in this game. This is high-stakes big-boys & girls stuff not gentlemen's agreements to 'do the right thing'. The Govt would (or should) have know that their previous donation was never a guarantee of a follow-on event in Auckland - unless they made that a stated condition last time around - which they obviously didn't. So they can't complain that market forces are in play again this time.

13 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Yes it would have been spectacular to see some J-boats in action. Maybe we still will. This might be a tactic of brinkmanship by ETNZ / Dalton to 'scare' some form of local syndicate of corporates / philanthropists / lotto winners to top up the Govt offer to try to keep it here. I think that's an outside chance but still a chance. Dalton said as much.

But there's no such thing as an 'implied contract' in this game. This is high-stakes big-boys & girls stuff not gentlemen's agreements to 'do the right thing'. The Govt would (or should) have know that their previous donation was never a guarantee of a follow-on event in Auckland - unless they made that a stated condition last time around - which they obviously didn't. So they can't complain that market forces are in play again this time.

Yeah exactly, the money is all that matters unfortunately, I'm just grumpy. The government didn't get their return on this cup due to Covid cutting off all the big $ coming into Auckland, which isn't ETNZ's problem, but ignoring that probably guarantees that the public pipeline is closed for a long time to come.

Although people have short memories so maybe the risk is worth it for them.

I’m as disappointed as anyone else. Despite my belief that you get a better view from a screen than the spectator fleet it’s great to have the ‘buzz’ of a big event in town for so long.

But I’m also pragmatic and I’d rather the world remembers Auckland for last hosting a great AC36 than a lame-duck AC37.

If you want it here, cough some of your own cash up.  I have enjoyed every part of NZ's AC journey, but it is now bloody expensive.  As a long suffering taxpayer, I would rather they gave the AC team $100m than the stupid cycling bridge they came up with in 2 weeks, once they heard about the bike invasion.  But as a taxpayer I woudl rather they did neither!

The dinosaurs long for yesterday, but technology waits for no one.  Mercedes F1 team, based in Germany?? No, based in Brackley outside of London. What!!! But they are German.  Well guess what the tech is in the UK, where most F1 teams are based.

Sport is money, no matter which sport.  Some have bigger audiences and pockets, some have less.  Even the Olympics is not amateur anymore.

If you enjoy lead blocks floating around, just go down to Westhaven and watch the evening races.  If you want to watch Team NZ lose the Cup make them stay here.  Maybe Dean can helm for us.

30 minutes ago, Sabre said:

Didn't they just prove that they can win in NZ?

What am I missing?

A sponsor providing cash to pay wages & build a boat maybe? The $99m offered by central/local government was not cash, there was a lease on a building that's won't be used for conferences these days as nobody can come in to the country, event management costs such as porta-loos/security/road closures etc so the council's constituents can enjoy the event... Unfortunately "cash in kind" does not pay the bills!

Without the cash, and reportedly Emirates possibly jumping ship, ETNZ loses talent to teams that can pay the wages, leaving ETNZ with a depleted workforce cobbling a boat together best they can. 

• Upvote 2

My conspericacy theory. Dalts moves the team to England, then jumps ship to takes over team Inos,helps the English win the cup(never won it)and retires on a lump sum and never heard of again.

Interesting statement by Dalton- repeated that the failed campaign years ago in Valencia cost more than the successful defence here this year.

If we are to believe that the new money package will have to be more than double the 99 million on offer here to defend in the UK or Europe.

As an aside the Black Heart / Loyal thickos from the past seem awfully quiet this week ..........

11 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I like the idea of TP 52s.

Either way the winner sets the rules. So have it here, do the best we can,  and if we loose congratulate the new winner.

That would be a great idea - if it was 2001.

If you want to see TP52s go and watch their World Champs or Super Series.

But don’t try to put the AC genie back into the bottle.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Care to explain?

Sarcasm!

TP52 is a 20yr+ old design concept with offshore racing origins which broadened into regatta formats. Very successful but polar opposite concept to the AC which is about bleeding-edge innovation which generates new designs each cycle that literally make you gasp and think “That’s outrageous - it will never work!” and they they go and prove you wrong and make it work. Don’t conflate the two concepts (which have very different purposes) to suit the Auckland budget.

2 hours ago, waikiore said:

Interesting statement by Dalton- repeated that the failed campaign years ago in Valencia cost more than the successful defence here this year.

If we are to believe that the new money package will have to be more than double the 99 million on offer here to defend in the UK or Europe.

As an aside the Black Heart / Loyal thickos from the past seem awfully quiet this week ..........

Not all that surprising. The IAC Class was at the end of its development. Any gains would come at a very high cost. Like Formula 1. That last .1 of a second per lap is the hardest to get.

I was told last night the Black Heart hierarchy  were quite happy for it to go offshore.

2 hours ago, Fogg said:

Sarcasm!

TP52 is a 20yr+ old design concept with offshore racing origins which broadened into regatta formats. Very successful but polar opposite concept to the AC which is about bleeding-edge innovation which generates new designs each cycle that literally make you gasp and think “That’s outrageous - it will never work!” and they they go and prove you wrong and make it work. Don’t conflate the two concepts (which have very different purposes) to suit the Auckland budget.

I thought the argument was not the cost of the campaigns (those guys have bottomless pockets), but the cost of hosting. You know, the 100m Dalton wants from the taxpayers. 

As an aside I wonder if any of the decision makers read Dalton s reply to OSH before saying no .

35 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

What is a Black Heart hierarchy please?

They lynch mob bagging coutts and butterworth for going to alinghi even though tnz had told them they weren't worth the money they were getting. Has anyone ever been so wrong?

led by Murray deaker who can be forgiven because....Murray deaker....

but also a few yachting industry leaders, sailors that I won't name because it's an embarrassment on their good deeds elsewhere for yachting

• Upvote 2
55 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I thought the argument was not the cost of the campaigns (those guys have bottomless pockets), but the cost of hosting. You know, the 100m Dalton wants from the taxpayers. 

As an aside I wonder if any of the decision makers read Dalton s reply to OSH before saying no .

I thought it’s more about the operational cost of running the team (inc salaries) rather than hosting costs as those are helped by a combination of the benefits-in-kind package from the Govt / Council plus reuse of infrastructure built last time. Apparently a lot of the $99m they were offered is not cash but benefits-in-kind (I haven’t seen the exact % figure) such as use of the viaduct HQ. But that isn’t cash that can be used for paying real operational costs.

33 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Apparently a lot of the $99m they were offered is not cash but benefits-in-kind (I haven’t seen the exact % figure) such as use of the viaduct HQ. But that isn’t cash that can be used for paying real operational costs.

And no doubt inflated through the roof given the dearth of events over the last year. When ASB Showgrounds are to the wall council properties owning the viaduct arena would have been gloating over the millions they made. In accounting talk, debit Americas Cup Grant megabucks, Credit Stadium rents received megabucks, aren't we doing well, bonus to this account please