The Cup is gone

33 minutes ago, Sabre said:

Yes and TNZ is a brand. A good public image is something most brands protect at all costs. 

I'm guessing they are not targeting the NZ market on public image any more.  Its not Air NZs name on the sail....

42 minutes ago, harrytom said:

The Governments offer to TNZ expired today and are free to go do what ever they like.Minister Nash told Kerre Woodham on Newstalk this morning.

I’m not sure if the actual NZ Govt offer itself expired or the period of exclusivity expired - meaning TNZ can now actively engage in discussions with others and try to do better?

1 minute ago, Black Panther said:

I don't disagree Fogg, but it makes me seriously disinterested in the AC.

I would have more respect for them if they said it's in NZ, tgese are the rules and this is our budget. 

Losing isn't the worst outcome of a yacht race.

Ok that’s a different operating principle. That’s saying that defending it at home trumps all other factors and everything else must be made to fit around that. And that would be a totally legitimate approach if TNZ decided to work to that principle. Or if the NZ Govt had said last time “If you win AC36 then you must defend AC37 it in NZ.”

But it sounds like ‘bigger budget’ is a higher principle than ‘location’ hence the situation we have.

50 minutes ago, Sabre said:

I wonder if their brand will still be worth $99m if things don't pan out overseas?

You can be sure that when they declined the $99m they did so knowing they could do better elsewhere - it wouldn’t be a blind decision.

But if they can’t get enough extra funding overseas then they might be forced to rethink and stay at home with a scaled-down plan after all. But that’s probably Plan C or D right now.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Ok that’s a different operating principle. That’s saying that defending it at home trumps all other factors and everything else must be made to fit around that. And that would be a totally legitimate approach if TNZ decided to work to that principle. Or if the NZ Govt had said last time “If you win AC36 then you must defend AC37 it in NZ.”

But it sounds like ‘bigger budget’ is a higher principle than ‘location’ hence the situation we have.

I would present it as "bigger budget" vs " retaining respect" and that's a choice, and one that doesn't reflect well on TNZ.

6 hours ago, Fogg said:

I’m not sure if the actual NZ Govt offer itself expired or the period of exclusivity expired - meaning TNZ can now actively engage in discussions with others and try to do better?

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-sport/team-nz-rejects-govts-americas-cup-bid-0

"The offer expires today, 16 June. From tomorrow, Team New Zealand is now free to seek support from other partners."

Nash said the Government wished the syndicate well.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2021/06/america-s-cup-odds-of-next-regatta-being-held-in-new-zealand-incredibly-low-concedes-minister-after-team-nz-reject-government-s-hosting-offer.html

And as the government's exclusive negotiation rights with Team New Zealand expire on Thursday, the Kiwi syndicate can now begin talks with other potential host countries to stage the next regatta.

My understanding is the reason Alinghi took the cup to Valencia aside from financial gain was that the Deed states the racing must be held "on the sea, on the arm of the sea, or one which combines both".  Just sayin.  Switzerland did not meet the criteria. Just sayin.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, barry said:

My understanding is the reason Alinghi took the cup to Valencia aside from financial gain was that the Deed states the racing must be held "on the sea, on the arm of the sea, or one which combines both".  Just sayin.  Switzerland did not meet the criteria. Just sayin.

I just read elsewhere there’s a rumour Ernesto is buying the Italians boat #1 

I’m disappointed as I feel that TNZ means it represents me. As do the All Blacks, Black ferns etc etc. 

But the reality is that sport is a business and the AB’s etc are owned by the Rugby Union not NZ. TNZ is owned by…? Surely NZYS? Mystery is what the governance structure is. There’s no doubt that overseas teams are owned by their backers (Ernesto, Larry etc). But TNZ?  It’s sponsored by Emirates not owned by them?

8 hours ago, harrytom said:

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-sport/team-nz-rejects-govts-americas-cup-bid-0

"The offer expires today, 16 June. From tomorrow, Team New Zealand is now free to seek support from other partners."

Nash said the Government wished the syndicate well.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2021/06/america-s-cup-odds-of-next-regatta-being-held-in-new-zealand-incredibly-low-concedes-minister-after-team-nz-reject-government-s-hosting-offer.html

And as the government's exclusive negotiation rights with Team New Zealand expire on Thursday, the Kiwi syndicate can now begin talks with other potential host countries to stage the next regatta.

You might be right. In some places it says the offer expires, in other places that the exclusive negotiating period between TNZ and NZ Govt expires.

Either way, I expect TNZ will get a higher offer from elsewhere - which they may or may not go with.

And if they did ever come back to NZ Govt and ask about the original $99m I'm sure the NZ Govt would happily give it to them to keep the cup in Auckland. Unless they had already spent the money on a cycle bridge..... 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Fogg said:

And if they did ever come back to NZ Govt and ask about the original $99m I'm sure the NZ Govt would happily give it to them to keep the cup in Auckland. Unless they had already spent the money on a cycle bridge viewing platform..... 

There - just added $750m to the funding pool!

4 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Hmm. Looks ominous. If GD does own TNZ then the Govt really shouldn’t give him $100m. Mind you they are giving similar amount to Amazon to film LOTR here on the basis that money=jobs. 

I’m still disappointed.