The Cup is gone

5 hours ago, waikiore said:

As a berth holder in Westhaven, bye bye cup, bring on the cyclebridge 👍

So we can add to the randoms wandering westhaven, getting in the way, and generally terroizing the bertholders? You might be one of the few who uses it to get to westhaven, but surely it's going to lead to serious high speed, lycra clad traffic through the boardwalk? 

18 minutes ago, raz88 said:

So we can add to the randoms wandering westhaven, getting in the way, and generally terroizing the bertholders? You might be one of the few who uses it to get to westhaven, but surely it's going to lead to serious high speed, lycra clad traffic through the boardwalk? 

doubtful.  Proper cyclists hate riding in pedestrian traffic as much as pedestrians hate the cyclists.

I'm no great fan of the cycle bridge as I'm sure something better and more cost effective could be done , however 700m for a bridge that could last for 100 years versus 200m for a rich mans pissing contest which may / probably will be gone in 3 years. I know which one I'd back

• Upvote 2

I agree. I think the Herald piece is wrong. Snd I would very much hope that is not how the treasury is run. Projects like the cycle bridge should compete against other capital infrastructure projects not sailing. And any potential spend on TNZ’s hosting fee should compete with other sports and/or economic development initiatives - not a bridge.

What's wrong with switching to one design? 

I know, it's always been a development class

Well it was always in monohulls till it wasn't.  The boats were always in the water till they had foils.  They always had soft sails till they had wings.

Announcement: with the current global pandemic we are having trouble funding the next defence so have decided to accept a challenge from West Mongolia that stipulates J105s ( or some other strict one design).

Message ends.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

What's wrong with switching to one design? 

because then it becomes just another one-design series.

To no small extent AC has been about the obscene amounts of money the ultra-rich competitors throw at it to win in a boat that fits a design envelope, not a specific design.

To move away from this is to move away from the entire (unwritten) purpose of AC

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

1. What's wrong with switching to one design? 

2. Announcement: with the current global pandemic we are having trouble funding the next defence

1. What he said. Waste of money. Misses the point. Might as well not do it at all.

2. Not true. Global economy going gangbusters (6% this year, 4-5% next)

18 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

because then it becomes just another one-design series.

To no small extent AC has been about the obscene amounts of money the ultra-rich competitors throw at it to win in a boat that fits a design envelope, not a specific design.

To move away from this is to move away from the entire (unwritten) purpose of AC

The AC is whatever the winner decides.

If other teams don't like it a one design series gives them the perfect opportunity to win and change the rules again.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

If TNZ is having no trouble raising money what is this discussion about?

Because they started by trying to raise it in NZ - which is too small to fund a global event that has outgrown our economy. The $99m that NZ Govt could afford is a rounding error in global terms (remember the $3Bn Valencia investment)?

We just need to let it go (offshore)…

16 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Because they started by trying to raise it in NZ - which is too small to fund a global event that has outgrown our economy. The $99m that NZ Govt could afford is a rounding error in global terms (remember the $3Bn Valencia investment)?

We just need to let it go (offshore)…

We get to write the rules. Make it smaller/cheaper. Take what can be raised in NZ and make it work.

The next winner can worry about what happens next.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Take what can be raised in NZ and make it work.

They could. But they don’t want to. They obviously have a concept in mind which needs more. And they aspire to achieve that. Which is nothing new it reflects their approach for years now.

27 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Technical issue: who holds the cup? RNZYS or Dalton/TNZ?

RNZYS. They nominate someone to defend it on their behalf - up until now TNZ. So yes in theory another syndicate could make a pitch to RNZYS to defend it for them instead in Auckland using the Govt’s $99m (if still available to a new unproven syndicate).

I’d imagine that would be a very short meeting.

12 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

So TNZ is essentially a business owned by GD and one other and they want to take it out if Nz in search of more money.

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

Imagine Dalton is doing his very best to protect what I imagine is a very healthy salary for himself and a bunch of others (no one can blame him for that really).

Also guess he's doing exactly what he's told with the options he's been presented by Emirates/Ratcliffe.

Option A- you and your team keep earning megabucks and we race in the solent as per sir jimbos request.

Option B - you race in Auckland.  Good luck, you'll probably need it. (and we'll most likely race on the solent in 4 years time)