The Cup is gone

Because earning a healthy living is immoral or a crime, right?

TNZ is a professional (commercial) sport team with absolutely no legal obligation to the NZ public.

Option B would be a scaled down campaign which the ambitious leaders & sailors of TNZ obviously have little interest in.

20 minutes ago, Sabre said:

"a healthy living" 

I nearly choked on my dinner 😂

How else would you describe it then?

And what’s the obsession / resentment with successful sailors earning ‘generational wealth’ (as I’d describe it)? It happens in pretty much every other professional global sport. I’m curious why sailors are being singled out as ‘bad guys’?

4 minutes ago, Sabre said:

NZ changed the AC scene and broke the image that it was simply a pissing contest for the world richest men. GD now wants to take it back to that.

Is it really suprising that many are somewhat dissapointed? 

Mmmm, ok that specific argument is one I haven’t heard put like that before (or at least I haven’t taken it onboard).

And it’s probably the most compelling case I’ve heard so far…. let me have a noodle on that….

20 minutes ago, Sabre said:

An unhealthy obsession.

He is choosing to turn his back on NZ for more money than he could ever spend over continuing to support the country that has supported him and still having more money than he could ever spend.

I have no sympathy with the argument about how much Dalton might be earning. Good for him if he can engineer to secure such riches (legally). And I have no interest in the argument “more than he can ever spend” because people earning those big incomes are rarely interested in just themselves but instead setting up their family for several generations.

But I do acknowledge you’ve made a good point about the image of the overall AC and NZ’s role in showing the world there can be another way beyond the traditional northern hemisphere budget arms race.

3 hours ago, Fogg said:

RNZYS. They nominate someone to defend it on their behalf - up until now TNZ. So yes in theory another syndicate could make a pitch to RNZYS to defend it for them instead in Auckland using the Govt’s $99m (if still available to a 

Alternatively RNZYS could take initiative and sack TNZ and actively look for a challenger that would not want to take it offshore 

But I am not holding my breath on that either.

I just turned 65 but stopped real work 2 yrs ago. This thread had me pondering how much it would take to get me back to work for 1 year .  Way more than I would ever realistically expect to earn. At 3 years just about no number.

Money ain't everything.

• Upvote 1
On 16/06/2021 at 11:08 AM, waikiore said:

Thats your world Fogg, but dont call it Team NZ or give public money , a TP52 based event would bring an exciting defenders series heaps of challengers and supporting superyachts here. We would get a whole summer of quality racing and the spin off, of course there would be no need for multi million $ CEOs either. 

The TP52's  are fantastic  boats but for me they would seem a backward step compared to the AC 75, I dont think its realistic to put the cat (foils) back in the bag now the punters have had a taste.

10 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I just turned 65 but stopped real work 2 yrs ago. This thread had me pondering how much it would take to get me back to work for 1 year .  Way more than I would ever realistically expect to earn. At 3 years just about no number.

Money ain't everything.

Yeah but what about the other 120 odd members of the team ?  
Then there’s the extra 50 or so that get  called up to meet boat building deadlines . From what I’ve heard most of the extras were on “mates rates “ to make it happen. that’s just not sustainable long term , especially in theses times . 

I totally believe GD and the other figureheads saying they would far rather defend here in NZ and sure there’s a bit of a “virtue signalling” feel about it . I suspect they’ve been offered a massive carrot by Emirates and Jim ratcliffe to go North and defend . Securing sponsorship up north would be far easier too and adds future security to the team for another cycle . 

5 hours ago, Frank said:

The TP52's  are fantastic  boats but for me they would seem a backward step compared to the AC 75, I dont think its realistic to put the cat (foils) back in the bag now the punters have had a taste.

I'd like to see a scaled up tp52, 75 to 90' 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Fogg said:

Comanche?

Not really. thats a reaching machine and heavy. AC boat doesn't have to cross the Atlantic or  bass strait and only needs to do windward leewards. No cantered, or moving ballast. Maybe a dss foil but not radical as they need to tack quick and close, And sails, lots of them

Never happen though

Assuming the British challenge goes ahead on the Isle of Wight, that may severely piss off the Italians and Americans - to the extent that they disband or hibernate.

Then when the regatta returns to Auckland, there will only be ETNZ and Ineos Team UK left to compete.  What an embarrassment that would be for NZ, not to mention low ROI!

1 minute ago, ex Elly said:

there will only be ETNZ and

Yeah, they need more teams competing . . 

Bermuda was actually pretty well done in a number of respects . .  

And it would be nice if they could pry the event out from the grubby hands of the billionaires. 

And that won't likely happen either.